Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2k is kind of low given the Hitachi ones sold for about that much. A tamahagane knife from that guy on IG is like 1k. I assume the Tanabe Tatara is more premium (but I don't know). Maybe 3k but even 4k seems semi-reasonable. But it's also a function of the wholesale cost, which we don't know.

It's tamahagane, which is why it's 3x more than the Hitachi steel versions
I know it’s tamahagane but is that really all there is to it? The same thing as a normal river jump would be 1500. Pay 3000 extra for 50 grams of tamahagane that’s all but hidden by the cladding so it doesn’t even look the part? Nah. I could see the price for a honyaki type deal.
That said, hinoura is of course cool and I’m sure the buyer will be happy.

Pretty sure they have been up on bernal for at least a month or two if not longer, they just made another post now to try and get some interest. I really don't think it's going to move at that price

@Knot Handcrafted has around spots left for the year, great guy to purchase from
IMG_7667.png

I know it’s tamahagane but is that really all there is to it? The same thing as a normal river jump would be 1500. Pay 3000 extra for 50 grams of tamahagane that’s all but hidden by the cladding so it doesn’t even look the part? Nah. I could see the price for a honyaki type deal.
That said, hinoura is of course cool and I’m sure the buyer will be happy.
The cladding is watetsu from the same tatara, pattern welded with steel, so not regular cladding.

Last edited:
The cladding is watetsu from the same tatara, pattern welded with steel, so not regular cladding.
If it is then they certainly failed to get that point across. It’s not mentioned at all, just “forging of the cladding“, phrasing wise that does not even imply hand laminating, just hammering and maybe twisting. Sorry but if the knife has more to it than meets the eye they better be more thorough. Going just by the looks I’d say hinoura cladding is modern steel, even ready made laminate. Maybe link somewhere that says otherwise but I haven’t found much yet. It’s always just fluff. I also feel like the pictures don’t quite do it justice.

If it is then they certainly failed to get that point across. It’s not mentioned at all, just “forging of the cladding“, phrasing wise that does not even imply hand laminating, just hammering and maybe twisting. Sorry but if the knife has more to it than meets the eye they better be more thorough. Going just by the looks I’d say hinoura cladding is modern steel, even ready made laminate. Maybe link somewhere that says otherwise but I haven’t found much yet. It’s always just fluff. I also feel like the pictures don’t quite do it justice.
Sorry I don’t have links, but have discussed these knives at length with Tsukasa-san and the folks who commissioned this line. The tamahagane billet was forged by Shunji Kobayashi, a swordsmith in Shimane, and the watetsu taken from the same batch to use as cladding.

There’s definitely a lot of misinformation in J knives, and at every level, some of which comes from misuse of words like laminate vs forge. I don’t really think it’s very useful to mythbust some of the stuff that passes for common knowledge in enthusiast circles, but I have no reason to believe Tsukasa-san lies about the distinction of his hand engraved lines ( in-house laminated warikomi and pattern welds, stone shaped bevels) and his stamped lines (prelaminated stock, not stone finished).

Sorry I don’t have links, but have discussed these knives at length with Tsukasa-san and the folks who commissioned this line. The tamahagane billet was forged by Shunji Kobayashi, a swordsmith in Shimane, and the watetsu taken from the same batch to use as cladding.

There’s definitely a lot of misinformation in J knives, and at every level, some of which comes from misuse of words like laminate vs forge. I don’t really think it’s very useful to mythbust some of the stuff that passes for common knowledge in enthusiast circles, but I have no reason to believe Tsukasa-san lies about the distinction of his hand engraved lines ( in-house laminated warikomi and pattern welds, stone shaped bevels) and his stamped lines (prelaminated stock, not stone finished).
Well then, if you say so and you refer to the man in the familiar that settles it, doesn’t it.
It’s just weird that neither Bernal nor others would include it in their descriptions. Do they just not know? How would they not be told?

The normal river jump ones are also not conclusively described as hand laminated across retailers. In fact they vary pretty wildly. Knife wear vs carbon knife for example. Others like japanny just don’t say anything about the cladding, not even for the tamahagane ones.
The Watetsu story would in my opinion be very much worth including because it adds to the value of the knife. He hand laminated watetsu with nickel steel or whatever for a nice dammy billet? Cool. Likely? Hmm.
Everyone goes on about his contributions to metallurgy and whatnot but product info is lacking.

It’s ok now, I won’t comment on this any more but I feel that product descriptions being all over the place is not a good thing. Shigefusa texts are way more consistent across retailers all over the world and that creates trust and value.

Last edited:
Back