Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any experience y’all have had with his grinds or W1 as a steel? It look mighty tempting - the wrought clad stuff is so pretty!
The one I had was 52100 mono, so can't speak to W1. But the grind was surprisingly good for it being 185x44 and ~200g, robust but still a very good performer. Kind of felt like a more rustic Shihan - thin enough to be enjoyable for mirepoix, sturdy enough to handle some light bone contact. Also had some really dramatic taper (maybe more than the newest batch). Very fun knife.

Any experience y’all have had with his grinds or W1 as a steel? It look mighty tempting - the wrought clad stuff is so pretty!
I now have several of his knives. The grinds are good. Lots of distal taper on one of my examples, nice sightly convexed grind from the spine to the edge. I'd describe it as a ridiculously performant tank. Tons of character, great balance, just a lot of fun to use, works way better than you'd think from how it looks.

The petty I have from him is similar. Super stiff, super sharp, nice steel.

I'm looking forward to Long Boy. It's mono, looks thinner out of the handle while still being chunky, and should be fun to use.

Last year he made a bunch of long, tall knifes. I think some feedback he got from folks was to add a greater variety of lengths and heights (not everyone likes 55mm+ heels). I’m sure he’ll have larger ones in his next batch.
I was one of those people for sure. That said I wish they weren't as tall - more long petty/short suji style.

I have one of the 165mm funayuki, very fun little knife. i hope you enjoy it.
Lately I’ve been gravitating toward small- to midsize knives with that rustic hand-everything vibe. If it is near as good as my Kuwahara small petty, I’ll be happy. And that choil shot promises a sultry cutting-board romance.

Now if only Knife Japan would have some more Kuwahara in stock!

The enjin gyuto appears to have a more curved belly than his normal line.

As much as I like his work, the original handles are really some of the worst. Well worth the $10 for any better handle
Well, CKTG charges ~$13 shipping so its really like $23 difference, but even still I agree with you. the better handle is still worth it. I figured I'd post the link for the truly frugal and/or those who don't care about aesthetics. Though I'm a push cutter and appreciate a flatter profile generally speaking but hadnt made that observation yet....good to know.

My Shindo rehandle journey was a whole thing... some day I'll make a post about it. I will say the stock crap handle leaves the Funayuki perfectly balanced, where I struggled getting the balance right with a custom handle.

"Well, CKTG charges ~$13 shipping so its really like $23 difference, but even still I agree with you. the better handle is still worth it. I figured I'd post the link for the truly frugal and/or those who don't care about aesthetics. Though I'm a push cutter and appreciate a flatter profile generally speaking but hadnt made that observation yet....good to know."

Actually, I think CKTG is free shipping over $100. I was not charged for it. $140 total, the difference being tax.

Back