Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wandering around Target, looking for a hack for a stone-drying rack, when I saw this. I mean, why are we making it so complicated when there is this?? I thought that all of your spouses and partners would especially like to know about this.
8D7AB185-1F3F-4A2F-8C9D-5A2A2798864C.jpeg

At least Carter distinguishes those blades he makes from those the crew make.
FYI this series of knives are marked “Nguyen Design” which clearly distinguishes them the from his other knives. Not sure why you’d comment without first checking the branding…

RealSharpKnife is having a clearance going on

"Use Code RSKFAm for 25% off all Knives up to $350

RSKLUVSU for 30% off all knife purchase over $350

Stone10 for 10% off all Whetstones and Jnats"
Thanks for posting this.
I made an order; prices seemed pretty good to start with; much better with 30% off.
I'm not a knife collector or professional chef, nor do I have a large budget. , So opportunistically grab what look like nice knives for the money.
I know these might be "entry level" here, but I bet I'll like 'em just fine:
Fujiwara Nashiji 195mm Gyuto W1, stainless clad
Tsunehisa AS Tsuchime Polished 135mm Petty Custom #1

FYI this series of knives are marked “Nguyen Design” which clearly distinguishes them the from his other knives. Not sure why you’d comment without first checking the branding…
I mean that doesn't necessarily tell all that much by just saying design. Don's answer just did now though.

I was wandering around Target, looking for a hack for a stone-drying rack, when I saw this. I mean, why are we making it so complicated when there is this?? I thought that all of your spouses and partners would especially like to know about this.
View attachment 226020
Honestly even though most executions of this idea we've seen are terrible, that doesn't mean the underlying idea is necessarily bad.
If you could have a knifeblock that gave you a perfect edge everytime, while also properly thinning the edge over time, keeping it perfectly thin behind the edge AND having a great and properly deburred edge.... wouldn't you? If the result is similar to me doing it myself I'd be perfectly happy with that solution.

I mean that doesn't necessarily tell all that much by just saying design. Don's answer just did now though.
I was reacting to a post implying that the maker was not distinguishing this series of knives from one’s that he has sole authorship. The maker is transparent that these knives are different and has given them a different maker’s mark. I have no opinion on if they’re good value, but the maker has explained the concept and is not trying to fool anyone.

I was reacting to a post implying that the maker was not distinguishing this series of knives from one’s that he has sole authorship. The maker is transparent that these knives are different and has given them a different maker’s mark. I have no opinion on if they’re good value, but the maker has explained the concept and is not trying to fool anyone.
I know. But if you are selling me a $1000 dollar knife and it says Nguyen design on it, I would have thought it was from the man himself lol. That's just me though.

I know. But if you are selling me a $1000 dollar knife and it says Nguyen design on it, I would have thought it was from the man himself lol. That's just me though.
To me the word “design” clearly differentiates it from the knives that just have the maker’s name. It’s transparent, especially if one follows the maker who’s documented the process.

To me the word “design” clearly differentiates it from the knives that just have the maker’s name. It’s transparent, especially if one follows the maker who’s documented the process.
Right but you could just say "these are made by me and one other person", which I think was what the original poster you were replying to was getting at, in the blurb on the product page made it a little hard to gleam who really made what.

Regardless, doesn't effect me, knife is not for me. Cool it was clarified though and Don has at least some involvement in making it.

Not sure how folks feel misled about Don’s design series. Both his newsletter and the product page use plenty of “us,” “we,” and “our.” And if you follow him on IG, he’s been pretty clear about his development and design process as well as the fact that he has another person in his shop.
Lazy?

Not sure how folks feel misled about Don’s design series. Both his newsletter and the product page use plenty of “us,” “we,” and “our.” And if you follow him on IG, he’s been pretty clear about his development and design process as well as the fact that he has another person in his shop.
As someone who only casually knows of this maker and is not subscribed in any way, I would assume the name means just him. Even us, we, and our can be used in the singular when speaking of a business.

“Nguyen Design” could mean just the maker unless someone has been following and paying close attention. In the same way “Milan Gravier Coutelier” means just Milan, not Milan plus other people in his workshop.

I don’t think it’s misleading, but it’s certainly not as clear as “Muteki” for example. If instead it was “Carter Muteki” that would be similarly confusing, but this isn’t really a direct analogue since Carter’s not hands-on on the Muteki stuff.

I actually didn’t read the description closely and just assumed the cost-cutting measures involved automation or tooling (cnc, water jets, etc). Doesn’t really matter to me personally nor would I feel misled as I assume Don does final quality control, but I could see others wanting more clarity. For example I like how HSC/Harbeer is very clear in his descriptions like, “apprentice forged in AZ and finished by me in Paris”, and Sky Eilers is clear about using CNC and such for his cheaper production offering.

Definitely, I have to admit I had a little lefty jealously looking at those righty b-grinds. Stoked to see several offerings though.
Between his handles, profiles, grinds, and steels, it should be interesting!

I’m sure he’ll throw some of us lefties a bone 🙃

Thanks for posting this.
I made an order; prices seemed pretty good to start with; much better with 30% off.
I'm not a knife collector or professional chef, nor do I have a large budget. , So opportunistically grab what look like nice knives for the money.
I know these might be "entry level" here, but I bet I'll like 'em just fine:
Fujiwara Nashiji 195mm Gyuto W1, stainless clad
Tsunehisa AS Tsuchime Polished 135mm Petty Custom #1
Great to hear bro! The knives you got are certainly very nice!

Is it bad that I have two and I’m still interested 😅

What’s the cutting experience like with Bidinger’s b-grind (I’m assuming the ones in his current newsletter with the asymmetric single fuller is called a b-grind)? I saw someone call one of his knives “chonky” but they don’t appear to be thick from the photos I’ve seen.

I think Dan has different grinds even for his B-Grind. My iteration is symmetrical, making it ambidextrous but at the same time lighter. I believe Dan (from talking to him) is moving towards a more asymmetrical style as it allows for heavier blade and a thinner geometry if needed.

But with the version I have, I'd say it goes through thick carrots almost as smoothly as a laser but offering far better food release. Like stuff doesn't stick as longer as it touches the fuller

Edit: Personal Opinion, Long Version

Last edited:
What’s the cutting experience like with Bidinger’s b-grind (I’m assuming the ones in his current newsletter with the asymmetric single fuller is called a b-grind)? I saw someone call one of his knives “chonky” but they don’t appear to be thick from the photos I’ve seen.
They vary but I really wouldn't call them chunky. A convex one I tried had a bit more beef but still went through carrots quite silently.
My custom symmetrical B-Grind is really light weight and I would describe it best as a scalpel with food release. Used another one which had a bit more weight and was as good or even better. Dan is still experimenting and tries out stuff, more importantly he tests it.

Back