Knife for the wife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, awesome stuff guys. I will have a sit down with my wife today, and find out what she wants to do. I totally get the soft/hard knife thing now. I'll see what she thinks is a good plan. Obviously if I could get away with $30, I would, but if the wife is happy, I really don't think another $90 is going to kill me. If it lasts it was well worth it.

If I do decide on the Miyabi, or any other japanese knife, do you all recommend going to a pro to get it sharpened when it needs it?

Hi vfamily!

Based on everything you've said, I think I would echo bprescot's advice and say go with the Miyabi. It's going to be a good knife and you won't have to worry about the fit & finish as you might with cheaper blades nor will you have to be as vigilant about rust dangers as you would with a carbon. Plus, you've already been able to try it out and know that your wife likes it! Finally, Sur La Table has an ultra-lenient return policy, so if you buy the knife and it doesn't turn out to be what you hoped for, you can always take it back and try something else instead!

My wife saw my Miyabi Birchwood parer that Pensacola Tiger sold me and she loved it immediately. She even said, "Now I know why you like knives so much." I think most chicks would did the Miyabi line.

k.

If it was me I'd go for the Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef while it's on sale for $100. I know she likes a shorter knife, but Sur La Table has such a generous return policy your wife could use it for a while to try and get accustomed to the length. If after a month she doesn't like it, take it back and get something else. There's also a 6" chef for more money so if the 8" doesn't work out but she likes everything else about the knife then you can go that route. If I had a need for a chef's knife and was keeping my choices to local retail stores I'd buy the Kaizen and never look back.

Oh, I also think the Birchwood line looks great too. I'd could be happy with either line.

If it was me I'd go for the Miyabi Kaizen 8" chef while it's on sale for $100. I know she likes a shorter knife, but Sur La Table has such a generous return policy your wife could use it for a while to try and get accustomed to the length. If after a month she doesn't like it, take it back and get something else. There's also a 6" chef for more money so if the 8" doesn't work out but she likes everything else about the knife then you can go that route. If I had a need for a chef's knife and was keeping my choices to local retail stores I'd buy the Kaizen and never look back.

Oh, I also think the Birchwood line looks great too. I'd could be happy with either line.

Wife tried the Birchwood, but that is was awfully slippery when she was cutting a potato. It's good to know they have a good return policy. We bought some stuff there I think we are going to return, and I might just have her buy the knife she wants. Then I might get an 8" Forschner Chef's knife for me when I grill.

She isn't hot on the idea of a magnetic strip. Says she doesn't like the look. What are your thoughts on the Kapoosh? http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=dc9BTpHECc3OgAfNjeWgCQ&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAA

She isn't hot on the idea of a magnetic strip. Says she doesn't like the look. What are your thoughts on the Kapoosh? http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=dc9BTpHECc3OgAfNjeWgCQ&ved=0CCQQ8wIwAA

You'll be happy with the Forschner, sharp and you'll enjoy it, take it too a sharpener once a year and you'll for the most part always be happy with its performance.

I have a magnetic strip and love it so I can show off some knives but thats all just preference.

This is the first time seeing the kapoosh and I think that its hilarious but I love it.

something like this - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017SWZ52/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Not sure what it will do to the edge of knives but may order it just to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you should consider upgrading to this one, it's prettier(for the wife's decor) and better for your knife, because there isn't a strip of exposed metal-on-metal action.

I recommend that you either learn to sharpen it(if you want to invest the time and energy to gain a permanent skill), or get a pro to do it. If you try out a local guy, I'd be careful to make sure he is qualified(there's a lot of hacks out there), and if you want to do mail order, that's a good route, though you won't have your knife for a few weeks. A good pro sharpening is top notch, and will last a VERY long time at home, provided you aren't cutting on glass/poly/cheap bamboo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should consider upgrading to this one, it's prettier(for the wife's decor) and better for your knife, because there isn't a strip of exposed metal-on-metal action.

I recommend that you either learn to sharpen it(if you want to invest the time and energy to gain a permanent skill), or get a pro to do it. If you try out a local guy, I'd be careful to make sure he is qualified(there's a lot of hacks out there), and if you want to do mail order, that's a good route, though you won't have your knife for a few weeks. A good pro sharpening is top notch, and will last a VERY long time at home, provided you aren't cutting on glass/poly/cheap bamboo.

Those are gorgeous, except it has to be less than 11 inches to fit on the side of the cabinet.

I suppose I could cut it.

If you send them an email they will make one for you :)

If you read the FAQ you will see this
∙ My knife won't stick!
It's probably made from stainless steel. Think about getting some better quality knives with more carbon content. Carbon means quality-- edge retention and fine grain for a keen edge. Many of our dealers will be quite eager to sell you an excellent knife. A knife that may well amaze you. Check out some of them on our homepage.

But I think your choice will stick. I have stainless and they stick :)

If you send them an email they will make one for you :)

If you read the FAQ you will see this
∙ My knife won't stick!
It's probably made from stainless steel. Think about getting some better quality knives with more carbon content. Carbon means quality-- edge retention and fine grain for a keen edge. Many of our dealers will be quite eager to sell you an excellent knife. A knife that may well amaze you. Check out some of them on our homepage.

But I think your choice will stick. I have stainless and they stick :)

Got it. I will.

Since you are in Norway, what do you think about Fiskar knives?

Fiskars:

Well, they are really worse than my Victorinox :)
My GF got some of them when she moved in and I cant stand them. But she refuses to throw them. This one is the last survivor of her Fiskars:
70843_1_xnl.jpg
. I hate that one too.

The problem with living in Norway, is that we dont have stores to test out high end knives. Ive read on the net and Ive bought lots of knives (and I mean lots!!!) the past years. But doing so, Ive gotten quite an experience of what is good and not.

If this is meant something to you: My best buy ever made is the Carter. My GF was not into knives at all (and I got some real fancy ones) until she got her Carter. Now she takes care of all the knives and she starts enjoying cooking. Im so pleased Im about to order a new Carter as well. I love my Guytos but then again, the Carter is amazing. I used it more than I thought I would, and my GF uses it to everything. I thought stainless was the **** (well, devins AEB-L is amazing, but I see myself more and more into sanmai carbon/stainless knives. I love white steel, but think Im about to be amazed by Bill Burkes 52100 sanmai. Nothing against the myabi line, but I really recommend you to think about the Carter. IMO best knife for females ever made.

Fiskars:

Well, they are really worse than my Victorinox :)
My GF got some of them when she moved in and I cant stand them. But she refuses to throw them. This one is the last survivor of her Fiskars:
70843_1_xnl.jpg
. I hate that one too.

The problem with living in Norway, is that we dont have stores to test out high end knives. Ive read on the net and Ive bought lots of knives (and I mean lots!!!) the past years. But doing so, Ive gotten quite an experience of what is good and not.

If this is meant something to you: My best buy ever made is the Carter. My GF was not into knives at all (and I got some real fancy ones) until she got her Carter. Now she takes care of all the knives and she starts enjoying cooking. Im so pleased Im about to order a new Carter as well. I love my Guytos but then again, the Carter is amazing. I used it more than I thought I would, and my GF uses it to everything. I thought stainless was the **** (well, devins AEB-L is amazing, but I see myself more and more into sanmai carbon/stainless knives. I love white steel, but think Im about to be amazed by Bill Burkes 52100 sanmai. Nothing against the myabi line, but I really recommend you to think about the Carter. IMO best knife for females ever made.

My wife is already getting sick of me showing her all these knives. :) I will show her the Carters as well. Also, what do you think about Gunter Wilheim?

http://www.gunterwilhelm.com/Index.php/cutlery/cutlery-sets/2-piece-asian-santoku-knife-set.html

By the way, thanks for letting me know about Fiskars.

Im no expert and I dont know the maker...

But Gunter would never ended up in my kitchen. The profile is odd and I guess the balance point is totally wrong based on that I think the handle is heavy. The bolster will fcuk up the sharpening as well. Sorry to say, but Gunter is a nightmare to me (based on pics).... (i cant se the geometry, but I guess its FUBAR as well)

Sorry...

Im no expert and I dont know the maker...

But Gunter would never ended up in my kitchen. The profile is odd and I guess the balance point is totally wrong based on that I think the handle is heavy. The bolster will fcuk up the sharpening as well. Sorry to say, but Gunter is a nightmare to me (based on pics).... (i cant se the geometry, but I guess its FUBAR as well)

Sorry...

:) NO worries. Just have so many things being thrown at me, and looking at so many things, it's crazy.

That Gunter looks like a candidate for the Ugly thread.

Its a hard choice :)

What I can tell you. If you learn how to sharpen and take care of your knives, you will have a total different view on foods. Most people dont have a passion about food, but I believe life is to short for having bad food. If you have a passion about taste, making food and drinking good wine. Then I really recommend you to start to think about getting a high end knife. The food will be better when done with a sharp knife and you will enjoy making it even more.

The Carter I recommended got both Carbon and stainless clad, so you will get the best from both worlds. Im sure there are sharpeners around in your town, but its also fun sharpening it yourself. If you are really really unsure I recommend you to start off on the buy/trade/sell marked and get your self a cheap carbon knife and a King stone combo 1000/6000. Try it for a month, and if this is for you: welcome to the gang.

If you purely want a high end great knife: go for the carter and have it rehandled. Its not much more than a Myabi Santoku, but will outpreform it by far :)

So here is the plan. Thanks everyone for all their input.

I am going to buy a Victorinox 125 Anniversary 8" Chef's knife. I am also going to buy a 10" BenchCraft magnetic knife holder in Maple.

Then my wife will take the knife class at Sur La Table. Hopefully from that she'll know what kind of knife she needs and what fits her the best. (I am not sold on her needing a 5.5" over a 7"). After that, she can get whatever knife she wants (under $150). Thoughts?

Links to items.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/victo...125th-anniversary-edition-chefs-knife-p122517
http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html
http://www.surlatable.com/sku/815159/Essential-Knife-Skills

Sounds like a plan. Don't expect that one to stay sharp forever, and wedging will happen. But hey, the price is right for a temporary knife!

I love that Vic steel. It doesn't hold an edge for :censored:, but it sharpens back up in a jiffy!

Back