Knife Library

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
... i am finally less busy, now, and i need to give my Heijis for a spa day soon (one person wanted a tutorial on Heiji sharpening, but if there is other interest i can make a general post), ....

That'd be me. I had suggested to Jon about making a vid on the finer points of sharpening a very thin knife BTE like the Heiji. I have noticed that you've taken very good care in sharpening your Heiji - especially cleaning up the shinogi line around the curve of the tip, so I'd love to see/hear how you go about doing it. Dealing with a knife like this is completely different than taking a "normal" knife and making it sharp. Cheers! mpp

i still have his Ealy. i was planning on thinning the tip, but had gotten busy and never gotten around to it (been using it plenty, though, nice knife). i am finally less busy, now, and i need to give my Heijis for a spa day soon (one person wanted a tutorial on Heiji sharpening, but if there is other interest i can make a general post), so i'll do the Ealy at the same time. i've had this knife way too long, time for somebody else to enjoy it, once i give it the needed tweaks.

Sharpening mystical, wide-beveled knives? A general post for sure!

i'd be happy to make a general post, especially since i bought a D600 a couple weeks ago, which makes this kind of photography much easier. maybe this weekend, if the wife doesn't have me doing large mothers day dinners.

That'd be me. I had suggested to Jon about making a vid on the finer points of sharpening a very thin knife BTE like the Heiji. I have noticed that you've taken very good care in sharpening your Heiji - especially cleaning up the shinogi line around the curve of the tip, so I'd love to see/hear how you go about doing it. Dealing with a knife like this is completely different than taking a "normal" knife and making it sharp. Cheers! mpp

Me three!

This is very late, but if that Henckels knife is kicking around, I might want to trade for it.

I don't know if you are still doing this, but I would love to try out the Ealy gyuto at some point if possible. I am thinking about ordering one from him to replace the gyuto's that I had stolen (first step to replacing my knife kit). I would love to try one out before I order it though, to make sure I will like it. I love the design of the blades, I just never had a chance to handle one.

Sorry, for the late reply. I haven't been as active on the forum as of late. This baby is kicking my azz. You are more than welcome to try out the Ealy. Send me a PM, and maybe we can work it out to just have it forwarded to you once the thinning is done. I'm still behind in shipping another knife, so eliminating the weak link (me) might be wise.

k.

lefty the henckels is currently with me which i will return to chris shortly. i haven't used it much as i really don't like the profile (too narrow), i just wanted to use it at home a few times as i think it's just so damn cool looking due to how old it is and the rehandle job is perfect for it. it is one TOUGH ASS steel. just resists abrasion like a mofo and takes a pretty decent edge. i nicked my knuckles on it while pulling it out of my knife roll which i immediately solved the issue by making a cardboard and duct tape saya :D

mr dinky, is a honesuki good for cleaning double lobe chicken breasts? (i just use a gyuto) never tried one, let alone 51200 steel. i'd be interested in taking it for a spin if available.

Id love to try out the DT ITK if that would be possible!

didn't get to the knife this weekend (ended up signing up for a summer macro-econ class, and the first assignment was 250 questions, and took hours), but i definitely will this week (along with thinning that pass-around Moritaka and doing the Heiji spa day tutorial).

Back