Knife roll advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you buy the cheap bags,they will wear out wt. every day transport.A canvas & leather bag at 200 will last much longer as long as you keep it dry.If it's a good bag you will forget the extra price you spent after a while.

Those look like Randy Haas knives on that site.

yep. i've been following them since they did a kickstarter project to raise funds.

"Our inaugural knife in the bespoke collection comes from bladesmith Randy Haas and HHH Knives. Featuring a striking "Firestorm" Damascus pattern with a Stabilized Buckeye Burl handle, this 240mm Gyuto is beautiful, refined, and dramatic."

Well if you buy the cheap bags,they will wear out wt. every day transport.A canvas & leather bag at 200 will last much longer as long as you keep it dry.If it's a good bag you will forget the extra price you spent after a while.

sure, but that website is still overpriced.

I do like JAW a lot

He recently had an awesome custom done with a different leather as well . Price is reasonable as well. He is a cool guy to talk to and deal with .

we should talk more about a KKF kit , how we would like this to be , materials , price etc.i am down with talking ideas . I been looking for a design since the KF years .

200 dollars is a relative expense.And here is why: i carry around 7 knifes that collectively worth on the upper side of 2k aprox. if the average petty is around 100 -easy- then why do we consider a well made bag expensive at 200 usd? It is all relative .

In the same sense i do get your point Labor of Love; most people though that can afford 100 dollars for a petty and a 250 dollar gyuto(iam not even talking high end knifes here) should consider that a good carry solution for that investment is in order.So maybe 200 is not extremely out of reach ;On a short note though i do think that the price tag should be reasonably pointing around 150 and really no more than that .

i think that 150 would provide a decent profit to the craftsman and a good value to the customer.

I'm willing to back the 150$ price tag on a good bag. IMO if you already spend 600$ on knives you should start thinking about ways you carry them around.

As a comparison, I spent close to $2500 on my mountain bike for this years XC season. Looking to upgrade the roof rack on th fiancée' car, which will probably be around $600. Sounds like a lot since there are 200$ models out there, but you have to protect your investment

I only like the top one. Problem I find with most leather knife rolls you see being made it out there today is that there less functional then the factory made ones. I would think if someone's going to spend big money on a roll it should be at least as functional if not better than A common factory made one. The top one that I like with a $750.00 price tag,I would think at that price It would be made so that the customers tools/knives custom fit each spot, Maybe it should also be made out of a better grade leather at that price too?

And before someone makes the suggestion or asks, I've already been working on a design for the "perfect role" I'm also still a little partial to a knife "bag" opposed to a "roll" that's something else I'm working on.

I have a jaw roll. It's good. The handle slots are really tight making for a few scary moments trying to pull a large handled knife out without stabbing myself or running the tip into a wall. They stretch out over time but it's pretty slow going. Like the looks and it seems like great leather and durability. The jaw guy would be a good one to consider for a group by or custom roll or bag.

I have some new knives that don't have sayas yet so can't go in the roll. This is wierd to say but if their is interest I could do as pass around.

Like the JAW guy as well

Chef Niloc the first one from those links is a custom maker from Toronto if i remember correctly. The rolls are custom made and custom fitted but still 750 bucks for a leather roll seem excessive. I really like the way the blades are stored as opposed to the handles on that design as well.

i would be very interested to see your design ideas i like your storage options at work (i like toolboxes as well) .

I have a jaw roll. It's good. The handle slots are really tight making for a few scary moments trying to pull a large handled knife out without stabbing myself or running the tip into a wall. They stretch out over time but it's pretty slow going. Like the looks and it seems like great leather and durability. The jaw guy would be a good one to consider for a group by or custom roll or bag.

I have some new knives that don't have sayas yet so can't go in the roll. This is wierd to say but if their is interest I could do as pass around.

Chuckles: Mate, if you don't mind me asking is your JAW roll custom or one of two designs that he has as standard.

Guys good leather is extremely tough, no to mention the fact that it looks awesome, but I'm not paying 750$ for a roll even if the bloody thing promises to carry my kit on its own. My maximum is about 350$ and it has to be for a really good quality one. I'll wait and see what the JAW guy has on to say for my custom and come back to you but in the meantime there is some really bad-ass heavy duty canvas out there that comes water-proof, fire-proof etc directly from the factory is extremely easy to work with and is lighter than leather. I've been using a basic 14 pocket one made from cotton canvas for the past 3 years and although they tend to wear out after six months or so for 6£ I just buy another one.
One of those made from the toughest canvas we can find out there can be made for less than a 40$ we can tweak it a little bit and come up with a design. Just food for though.

Got me looking at those JAW rolls.I know leather lasts forever,stitched my Ice Chisel roll out of Suede leather wt. ties to custom fit my tools.No kidding lasted 25 years.

That JAW large is a good looking roll made out of quality leather.

I run a basic wusthof quad fold roll and have had it for a couple years. It works but it doesn't meet all my needs. I guess it could if I carried just knives but I have my spats and microplane, ceramic rod, peeler, oyster knife, scissors, thermoms, sharpies etc. and yes I run my own tongs. The leather looks cool and I'm sure it would house all my yet to be custom knives but doesn't seem practical right now. In fact I have yet to see, other than a head chef with own office, a place in a kitchen to keep a bag pristine. And honestly I don't want to bring something into a kitchen that's more than my paycheck. Maybe this isn't the right place to talk about working chef's gear. It's not a bad thing but, there are a lot of us who just want to bring their knives to work and keep them safe while doing so. If someone told me it would take a grand to do so I'd quit talking to them. And to clear that up, my knives cost more than my bike which can go anywhere and I weld/cut/grind my own schtuff on my rock crawler which I run with TJs and JKs frequently. But then again... I'm just a line cook.

I have a custom leather roll hand made by my girlfriend. Hand stitched semi brown suede with a canvas lining. Pretty simple, trifold design with 10 slots (3/4/3) and closes like an old school manila envelope with 2 sets of sewn-on old brass coins and some braided waxed thread that you figure eight around each pair of coins. I keep my work knives in the roll and have a separate cloth roll for spats, spoons, markers, etc. I worried about stains and such before, but after the first one, it's become kinda like a patina. Working on getting sayas for all my knives, but for now some of them just don't have em on and it seems to work fine.

I'll work on it, gf is out of town with her camera. I'll try to get a gallery post up to of the growing (slowly now) collection of knives. It's probably the nicest thing I own to be frank. All hand stitched. Second one she made, first one was stolen about a year ago.

Just recieved the Boltric 18 pocket black leather bag fr. JB Prince.It is made fr. water buffalo hide in India.It is well made,soft leather.Smells good,holds quite a few knives even wt. Saya's.Good design even slots for pens & buss. cards.I was pleased that it was much more impressive than in the pictures online.

To me this is a worthy bag to carry fine Japanese blades.Leather is the best as long as your not one of those vegan types:D

Back