Knives....and WIP's...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and I broke off the handle of the other one... I had to do this!

And I made some changes on the tang area inside the heel (thanks for that advice 👍)

I hope the material will arrive soon so I can start with it this week 🙏

PXL_20231129_104505733.jpg

Hey! Great job so far, although I evaluate it in terms of the visual. Beautiful knives, indeed.
WHat is the story behind your logo? I checked your web site, but it says nothing about it. In my opinion, a story would add value to your brand. Hm?
Good luck, I am sure your skilfull hands will bring success.

Hey! Great job so far, although I evaluate it in terms of the visual. Beautiful knives, indeed.
WHat is the story behind your logo? I checked your web site, but it says nothing about it. In my opinion, a story would add value to your brand. Hm?
Wow, thanks for the kind words and for that advice of course 🤔 that's a great idea 👌

My logo is pretty simple. •JAEGER• is my surname, the logo is a Capricorn (my zodiac sign). I like the ibex 😄

That's it 🤷‍♂️

Fabian ✌️

Hy valdim,
Thanks again for your advice 👍 I added an "about me" on my website. Just a few words. I have to look if I can add more pics to the site.

Fabian ✌️

Today I had to remake the geometry of the Gyuto because I wasn't happy. For that I had to grind off about 0,35mm edge thickness. I'm too scared to do this on the grinder because U can easily fu** everything up! So I did it on the stones (DMT extra coarse, SP320, DMD 1000). That works very well and it doesn't take that much time imo.
After that I decided to make a nice satin finish instead of a vertical belt finish. For that I used my Boride stones for the first time instead of sandpaper. And I have to say they're amazing! Progression was 150,320,400,600. They're so fast ... I'm pretty excited 😊
After that I took a few strokes with 600 grit rhyno wet and that's it. I like it 👌
Tomorrow I'll glue the handle on. Micarta in black and brown. Just for testing new way's to make my handle's...

PXL_20231204_120321952.jpg
PXL_20231204_120436411.jpg
PXL_20231204_120410878.jpg
PXL_20231204_121014351.jpg

Today I had to remake the geometry of the Gyuto because I wasn't happy. For that I had to grind off about 0,35mm edge thickness. I'm too scared to do this on the grinder because U can easily fu** everything up! So I did it on the stones (DMT extra coarse, SP320, DMD 1000). That works very well and it doesn't take that much time imo.
After that I decided to make a nice satin finish instead of a vertical belt finish. For that I used my Boride stones for the first time instead of sandpaper. And I have to say they're amazing! Progression was 150,320,400,600. They're so fast ... I'm pretty excited 😊
After that I took a few strokes with 600 grit rhyno wet and that's it. I like it 👌
Tomorrow I'll glue the handle on. Micarta in black and brown. Just for testing new way's to make my handle's...

View attachment 286094View attachment 286095View attachment 286096View attachment 286097

Looks great!

Thank you 👋
The first pic looks a bit scratchy 🧐
Idk why, maybe dirt and light....I'll make better pics in better light when it's done 👍

I put a little more effort into the packaging. three layers of foam that hold the knife nicely in position.

View attachment 285353
I would suggest a rethink. The tip is real close to the edge of the box and there is no contouring, specifically around the handle to prevent the blade shifting and penetrating the small amount of foam and the box if dropped on the right side. I see far too many tipped knives due to inadequate packaging. Carriers have a tendency to provide really good stress testing of packaging.

I would suggest a rethink. The tip is real close to the edge of the box and there is no contouring, specifically around the handle to prevent the blade shifting and penetrating the small amount of foam and the box if dropped on the right side. I see far too many tipped knives due to inadequate packaging. Carriers have a tendency to provide really good stress testing of packaging.
I agree with @Corradobrit1 about the tip. The sharpest part of the knife won't work as the bumper. I also like the packaging with the foam cutouts and your solution might be as easy as something to put over the tip or potentially a full edge guard. Would still fit in the box how you've got it and keep the edge from cutting it's way to freedom while in shipping.

That new grind on the gyuto looks awesome!

I totally agree with you guys. I've put a small piece of cork on the tip. It covers about 1cm along the edge. I already ordered some tip cover 👌

That new grind on the gyuto looks awesome!

Thank you 😊

My logo is pretty simple. •JAEGER• is my surname, the logo is a Capricorn (my zodiac sign). I like the ibex 😄
✌️
Also the name of my favourite watch brand Jaeger LeCoultre although pronounced very differently in French. As a knife brand 'Hunter' is quite apt.

Tip covers are a good call and shows the maker really cares.......

I finally decided against an oktagonal handle, because (to be honest) I like my style and wanna keep it up. And I really like how the micarta came out! Didn't expect that tbh 😄
The two colors matches perfect together imho. Still have to clean everything.

Some specs:
•173g
•Blade dimensions 196x45x3,6(taper at the middle 2,7; 1cm before the tip 1,06)
•About 15mm above the edge 2,07-1,97-1,43 (2cm before the tip)
•Right above the edge 0,15mm, it still flex at the whole edge (a little bit)

Handle is 126x26(height)x19(width) measure at the thickest point.

PXL_20231207_111313283.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20231207_111343424.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231207_111413144.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
PXL_20231207_111426034.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231207_111432965.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231207_111437941.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20231207_111453699.PORTRAIT.jpg

A bit of editing, to bring out the color and reduce the bright light.

PXL_20231207_111426034.PORTRAIT-01.jpeg
PXL_20231207_111343424.PORTRAIT-01.jpeg
PXL_20231207_111313283.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL-01.jpeg

120 x magnification. Something between 15&20°. It's just a SP 2000, that's the only stone I've used for the edge. Because it's so thin, I don't need that fancy progression. I like the snappy edge, especially for tomato skin. After that I gave it a few leading strokes on the sp 8k with a higher angle to create a tine micro bevel (I made no picture of it after that...)

Giving it a lower angle super polishing finish is just for show imho and makes no sense in the kitchen for a user knife. I mean, this one cuts paper towels and hair too, so it's good enough for daily use.

Maybe I can make a cutting video tomorrow.
I think just showing pictures isn't always enough. I would also like to show that my knives work well and are of course usable...

PXL_20231207_145530214.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg

Fabian ✌️

Because I wasn't happy with the performance, especially at the tip, I decided to thin it more out... Yeah, that's how things are atm ...! 1 step forward, two steps backwards! But I like that wide bevelish look! Not in that stage of course, it's just 1000 grit Dia surface. But a clean Shinogi finish could look really sweet imho!

Tbh with you guys. Establishing an own style as a "Noname" I'm being, is pretty tough... Sure, I could easily make what everybody makes. That's a lot easier for me, but that's not me you know?

My goal is to make the best performing knives without any doubt! But also establish MY style (im currently on the way to find it 😄). I've find my handlestyle and I definitely keep that! And now I have to find my bladestyle. Belt grinder finishes are okay ish, but not lovely! Polished finishes are lovely, but not the best performers...

I'm pretty sure I'll find my way. And since that, a lot of try and error will come with me 😄
But that's okay...

Back to topic!
Here's the current stage. I'll try a wide bevel Shinogi finish 🤞

Oh, forgot to say that this is not flat. I make some rocking motions on the stone so it is slightly convex to the Edge. I'll make a picture of it later. Flat grinds aren't cool right?

I've finished the surface of the "wide bevel" Gyuto. It's not that easy to bring out the Shinogi nice and crisp on a full convex blade 😄 after the stone work for flattening at the Shinogi, I went to the grinder and blended everything in. After that I rough finished the Hira with 150 grit Boride. I decided to make it rough because it looks good and it's mostly insensitive against scratches and so on. And it's a nice contrast to the Kireha wich I sanded "roughly" to 400 grit.

it is still convex, but with a sharper edge on the shinogi now. I kinda like that rough look because it's a user.

Fabian ✌️

The edge is completely down to zero and flexes more and more near the tip. At the heel it flexes a bit but not to much. It's not a laser, more user-friendly/ workhorse ish at the heel.

Today I worked a bit on the 240mm Gyuto I've made a while ago. I've thinned it more out because it was a bit to thick behind the edge imo. After that I worked on my belt finish skills to become better in that. I think it's pretty good now. I'll give the handle some refreshing tomorrow.

Back