Korean Kitchen Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGC8

Reaction score
It seems Korean knives are overlooked (e.g. on forums, YouTube). Overshadowed by JP knives and German knives, American Customs...

IIRC it was the Chinese/Koreans who taught the Japanese how to make swords in the beginning. Oddly it's the JP that stuck with it for over a century...producing swords pretty much as they did in the beginning...only difference is most no longer have two apprentices swinging hammers on the Tamahegane.

Any how...can some one recommend a few good kitchen knife shops selling Korean kitchen knives? Do any of you own a few? Do they use JP steel or are there Korean equivalents to AOGAMI/Shirogami...etc.?

For those that own both Korean and JP...how would you compare them? Do you prefer one over the other? Why?

You can find handforged types on the bay if you look hard. I have a few. All are pretty rustic and basic. They will work OK but they are nothing like the high end Japanese knives.

Iron and Steel making was carried from the Mideast into Northern Asia by the Scythians. From there into Central China and eastwards to the Korean peninsula then into Japan. Understand that at this time what we now call "China" was over 50 different states and the Korean Peninsula was also several independent states. Around 300-400BC the Korean kingdoms of Kaya (Mimana) and Paekche (Kudara)were allied with Japan against the Korean kingdoms of Gogureyo (Kouguri) and Silla (Shiragi). During this period metallurgy from Kaya, which had the closest relationship to Japan, is believed to have been brought to Japan in the Yaoi period. Earliest Japanese swords are called Tsurugi, and are straight blades as found on the Northeast Asian continent. I believe the well known curved Japanese form did not appear until about 800 AD.

I wouldn't know a Korean knife if I saw one. I would assume there are a bunch of unused railways between the N. and S. and the steel is heavily used in blacksmithing there.

I wouldn't know a Korean knife if I saw one. I would assume there are a bunch of unused railways between the N. and S. and the steel is heavily used in blacksmithing there.
Good assumption. There used to be piles on ebay not long ago for ~$30--made from RR stock (or so they said).
They were cool looking (looked like those Serbian cleavers but with 1/2" thick spine). The one I had was the most warped knife I've ever seen.

https://www.japaneseknives.eu/a-443...-nam-09-gyuto-chefs-knife-220-mm/#description

upload_2020-2-6_22-2-35.png
upload_2020-2-6_22-2-35.png

Found some Korean kitchen knives. I personally know very little about them. Perhaps the OP could shed some light?
LEYdVt.jpg
g2akzb.jpg

tp4KG0.jpg
The knives in the top photo are pretty much the ones I found on the bay. I saw that knife on the far right in a Korean soap opera (I was in Viet Nam at the time) and had to have one. Good meat slicer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pie
Very unusual knife! The ferrule looks like it was made from a garden hose fitting?
Looks like it... This must be the deluxe version; the one I had had just a plain metal ferrule.

When I lived there, at the nicer restaurants cooks were using Japanese steel and everywhere else they literally used anything that cut. It's not that I was touring kitchens, but it's a compact country and you can usually look at the back fairly easily. Open kitchen is a popular concept as well. Plenty of restaurants were even using cheapo ceramic knives.

Japan is less than a $300 flight away and there's a lot of free shipping too because of proximity. Makes sense to just buy in most cases. Then you have the anti-Japanese Koreans into German cutlery, to match all the cars rolling around.

Korean restaurant culture is also wildly different. Speed is not a priority outside of the busiest parts of the city, so you sinply don't need the best tools. Just take the time making nice cuts with what you have. Hell, a lot of street vendors don't even have knives and straight up scissor everything.

I'm sure there are great makers somewhere, but the only Korean knives I saw there were in more rural areas by older people and they were pretty crude compared to what we're used to, as mentioned above.

I probably ate out 10x for every time I cooked or got cooked for during that period, because it was so cheap. Just what I observed. It was the only country no one would let me cook under the table in, so I ended up in demolition until I could pay my way out or I could tell you more.

I checked. There are still plenty of "hand forged" Korean knives available on the bay. If you are looking for Japanese "samurai sword" quality you will be disappointed. On the other hand, I have been impressed with the cutting performance of the ones I've used. Really good real world cutting tools.

I bought one as a project knife for like ten bucks of an auction site a few years ago. Very rustic as can be seen in these pictures. The height is 65mm and weight 250g. It has a interesting fold on the spine which may be by design but hard to tell given the rusticity of the knife on the whole lol.
IMG_20200207_165332.jpg
IMG_20200207_165458.jpg
IMG_20200207_170137.jpg
IMG_20200207_171313.jpg

I know this is an old thread, but I found a local market that has knives similar to those Namwon knives that were on ebay, but with much more consistent grinds. They have a nice tall blade height (I'd guess ~65mm), are much thinner and have a decent distal taper considering they cost about 10 bucks. I initially got one and used it as a beater knife in the kitchen when I moved to the area for work and still had most of my knives back in San Diego. I actually came to really enjoy the thing. Since then I snagged a bunch of walnut, bocote and kingwood to work with and started swapping the handles and cleaning up the spine/choil areas. If you're interested in checking one out I'd be happy to send one for the cost of shipping.

It seems Korean knives are overlooked (e.g. on forums, YouTube). Overshadowed by JP knives and German knives, American Customs...

IIRC it was the Chinese/Koreans who taught the Japanese how to make swords in the beginning. Oddly it's the JP that stuck with it for over a century...producing swords pretty much as they did in the beginning...only difference is most no longer have two apprentices swinging hammers on the Tamahegane.

Any how...can some one recommend a few good kitchen knife shops selling Korean kitchen knives? Do any of you own a few? Do they use JP steel or are there Korean equivalents to AOGAMI/Shirogami...etc.?

For those that own both Korean and JP...how would you compare them? Do you prefer one over the other? Why?

Recently I too was curious about traditional Korean kitchen knives. My google searches dug up very, crude, rustic knives like these. I considered buying one—not that I needed one on the kitchen, but because they're damn cool looking objects! Already got all I need for kitchen tasks, just dig the aesthetics of these super rustic tools.

https://www.eatingtools.com/chef-knives/722-anseong-vegetable-knife-185mm.htmlhttps://www.houseandhold.com/products/anseong-daejanggan-62-kitchen-knife

Recently I too was curious about traditional Korean kitchen knives. My google searches dug up very, crude, rustic knives like these. I considered buying one—not that I needed one on the kitchen, but because they're damn cool looking objects! Already got all I need for kitchen tasks, just dig the aesthetics of these super rustic tools.

https://www.eatingtools.com/chef-knives/722-anseong-vegetable-knife-185mm.htmlhttps://www.houseandhold.com/products/anseong-daejanggan-62-kitchen-knife
Do it! You know it will make your bibimbap and budae jigae extra tasty 😉

My Korean friends have an ingrained bias that anything over 6” is for professionals. Hard habit to break in my experience, tho I have one is determined to love cleavers

I watched many YouTube vids of Korean hawkers cutting masses of food with rustic looking blades. I found one on eBay? and ordered it.
Very Basic and even with some sharpening on my part, I could not do as good as the Korean Hawkers.
Here is also picture of a similar knife on Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_6637.jpeg
    IMG_6637.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6638.jpeg
    IMG_6638.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6464.png
    IMG_6464.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Ok, just to make sure we understand what is being looked at above...

1. the above knife is <5 USD so adjust expectations accordingly there....

2. dude on the the amazon page. is a "master" in a sense that he can make farm tools fast with very limited resources. master is also loosely used and more like in terms of traditional artist i think is more accurate.

No we do not think this guy will rival Bob Kramer in his knife making abilities....

I've used several of the basic carbon steel Korean models. Construction is a little rough (as expected for the price) but performance was adequate. Nobody is going to starve if this is all they have to prepare food with. As DoYoon Kim pointed out we are talking under $5.00 here.

Back