Kramer Auction - June 2011

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy crap! I think that is the highest I have seen his sold for, anyone seen one of his go higher?

Even considering it is two knives, WHY!?

Donation

We donate 10% of the final auction price to a charity from the Donations page on our website. The winner is welcome to choose.

I would also like to point out that Bob just raised $5,120 for charity.

Wouldn't it have been more fitting if the final bid was $52100?

Even considering it is two knives, WHY!?

Even still, it is $3938.46 per inch.

But it is admirable to see Bob Donating to charities. It seems like most of his auctions go to help charities.

I don't know what kind of mass hysteria causes anyone to pay $51,000 for a kitchen knife but I do know there has never been one forged that is worth that as an actual tool. Investment? Maybe if you flip it right away but I don't believe the Kramer fad is something that will last for ever. I've watched the values of more than one legendary custom maker drop like a rock when they were no longer around promoting themselves.

ex-clown/chef turned successful knife-maker, good storyline, now it's a feeding frenzy. I wonder how many millionaire authors Oprah made with her book recommendations?

Is it true Kramer prohibits the secondary market selling of his custom knives? Is that a contractual legality?

Yeah, the guy has benefited greatly from articles, flavor of the (year or two) month, etc, but I really feel that Salty and most recently, Mattrud's endorsements say an awful lot. I get the feeling Bob makes amazing knives. $51000 knives? Of course not! However, the fact that Matt doesn't want to turn around and sell his for a huge profit speaks volumes.

Before I purchased the knife from Bob we had chatted on occasion about random things. He also happened to bring the knife to me where I work. Bob and his wife are truly great people and the knife itself is nothing short of a work of art. Never once did the question or talk of re-selling the knife come up between Bob and myself. I am very happy to see his success and wish the same for the other smiths I have had the pleasure to speak with (many here and many of which are great people). In both are professions (cook/smith) there is a lot of work and very little pay in the majority of cases. So it is great to see truly good people find success like Bob has. Saying all that the knife is a tool for what I do(ok thats a bit of an understatement) but there are people behind the knife, both the user and the maker.

Back