Kuwabara White #2 Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infrared

Reaction score
Complete tier list and the Kuwabara's ranking can be seen here: Japanese Knife Tier List

One of the best knives I've used, and perhaps the most fun. The weight and convexity allows it to fall through just about everything. Food release is also great, perhaps only (far) second to Takeda. It's not uncommon for a tomato or potato to just stay in place while cutting.

Steel is also some of the best I've used. I'd describe it as "sticky". Of all the knives I've tested, edge retention is only matched by Takagi and Mikami. It can also get ridiculously sharp. Thinking back, this is the only knife that has cut me with the three finger test.

Works with pretty much any stone. Even at lower grits it will leave carrots glossy.

Measurements
Length: 215mm (gyuto)
Height: 48mm
Spine: 3.9mm
Weight: 184g

Cutting Performance
Potatoes: S (no sticking, no suctioning, no resistance)
Onions: S (no wedging, easy horizontal cuts)
Carrots: A (no wedging, occasional cracking and minimal resistance)

Steel
Edge retention: 4+ weeks (daily home use, large variety of vegetables)
Toughness: Some microchipping (I'm heavy-handed)
Ease of sharpening: A
Edge taking: S (very aggressive edge)
Initial sharpness: S

Geometry

• Right hira (edge down, tip away) starts hollow at the heel, then convex during the next 1/4, hollow again, and finally convex at the tip.
  • Left hira is hollow throughout.
  • Right kireha is heavily convex, left side less so.
  • Very low grind.
  • Minimal distal taper.
Fit and Finish
  • Rounded choil.
  • Coarse polish.
  • Very dark, textured kurouchi, some flaking.
20230731_233356.jpg20230731_233510.jpg20230731_232450.jpg20230731_232706.jpg20230731_232821.jpg20230731_232851.jpg20230731_232734.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

Did this come through KJ?

I was looking a Kuwahara's page on KJ and it states he uses Yasugihagane steel. Is this the same on this knife? I've been very curious about his knives but I am trying to get some more information to make an informed decision.

Did this come through KJ?

I was looking a Kuwahara's page on KJ and it states he uses Yasugihagane steel. Is this the same on this knife? I've been very curious about his knives but I am trying to get some more information to make an informed decision.

It might have been from CKTG, but I can't say for sure. I do have a hakata from Knife Japan, and it performs just as well as the gyuto.

For what it's worth, the steel is easily one my favorites. Unnaturally long edge retention and takes a really toothy edge.
The edge in the video above is a little over three weeks old.

Last edited:
I got some information from the KJ thread from a conversation someone had w/Michael. TLDR; Kuwahara san uses Yasugihagane as somewhat of a vague term but reflecting it's overall excellence of construction. Michael believed that while it might be W #2, Kuwahara san was implying his expertise with the steel and that it is elevated to higher level than being relegated to a mere White #2. If that makes sense. Apparently it is.

Was the Hakata a special order? I love a good hakata.

Thanks for your response. It's tying it together for me now.

I've been chatting with KJ's Michael about Kuwahara san. Ordering has gotten more difficult with him and basically has to be done in person. I am going the hakata route, after your endorsement.

He told me that Kuwahara and Kuwabara are probably the same maker. It is the product of an eccentricity of the language. This is what Michael told me "Kuwa is mulberry and hara is field. It's very common to see hara (原) in a Japanese name (agricultural society) but you can never tell how it will be pronounced just by looking at the name in kanji, you have to hear it or see it in hiragana to be sure. My neighbor's name is Fujihara (藤原) but most other other people I know with the same kanji characters go by Fujiwara. The h in hara can be read as 'h' or 'b' or 'w' depending on the name and the family."

Back