Lamson Collaboration: Next Step

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking good. I also noticed that lovely costco backsplash, got that in my downstairs suite too :)

Grind is convex to aid in food release. Convexing is greater in lower portion of the blade, but not excessive to prevent wedging. Tom will get a choil shot when he returns to the land of the living. He is at the cottage for some R&R.

Doesn't convex grind require a different sharpening technique? Instead of using stones you use sand paper and a softer material underneath for sharpening?

Doesn't convex grind require a different sharpening technique? Instead of using stones you use sand paper and a softer material underneath for sharpening?

Grind is referring to the shape of the blade face, not the edge.

Rick, thanks for jumping on that. As usual, he's right. :D

Nobody is too late. We'd love to make 200 of these! It means more QC checks and shipping for us, but it also means a successful project, that resulted in a great knife for even more people. After using this for over a week, I can say I'm very pleased with the initial result. I know it will just get better with the help of our amazing testers!

Sweet knife, and sweet collaboration group buy!

I'd totally buy one if I had the money and was in the market for another gyuto!

I have a question about the profile. How is this knife's profile compared with a Masamoto KS? I've scanned through most of the posts on this collaboration, and know it was collective decision on a Sabatier profile, but the choice was on one of three Sabatier that seemed like it is slightly modifed from the factory profile. I'm just wondering how it compars to the Masamoto KS Wa-gyuto profile.

This knife is sent out to Rick (Pemsacola Tiger) and from there it'll be going to our man Theory. If I still had it on hand, I could do a side by side pic, and get in depth with it...maybe Rick can do it for us :D

This knife is sent out to Rick (Pemsacola Tiger) and from there it'll be going to our man Theory. If I still had it on hand, I could do a side by side pic, and get in depth with it...maybe Rick can do it for us :D

Tom, I'll be more than happy to compare it to the Masamoto KS.

Rick

Cool, it has to pass the two Ricks test first. I think that's the 37th chamber of Shaolin.

I thought so. This is how I've been picturing Son the whole time. :clown:

image.jpg

Here's an actual picture of Son, just to settle this. Chuckles, you were pretty close. I think the picture you have is of a Son impersonator at the last ECG

90B92167-B95B-425A-B5CB-5CDE4067CCBB-5001-0000079FB543B00B.jpg

I think you're both wrong. Think: a more tan version of Christopher Lambert from the movie:
[video=youtube;YtNba0XmMAg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtNba0XmMAg[/video]

Here's an actual picture of Son, just to settle this. Chuckles, you were pretty close. I think the picture you have is of a Son impersonator at the last ECG

90B92167-B95B-425A-B5CB-5CDE4067CCBB-5001-0000079FB543B00B.jpg

This one reminds me of Salty. He's just missing a sheet of paper!

The prototype was delivered this afternoon, and I had enough time between storms to take a few photos.

This evening, it made short work of a pound of carrots, cutting them cleanly with no trace of wedging. The grind is convex enough to reduce stiction, as the carrot slices fell cleanly after being cut.

I'll have measurements, comparisons of the profile to other knives and more impressions tomorrow.

Rick

Nice pictures! I can't wait to read your thoughts, Rick.

Not to sound impatient but this is more of a fiscal planning question, any idea what the timeline is? Are we looking at early 2014 for putting money down or are we talking like October or November 2013?

I've come back to the forums and I already want to buy things this can't be good for my wallet again. :)

Great looking knife and collaboration.

Pierre's summary here:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...Line-of-Knives?p=188701&viewfull=1#post188701

Though a few decisions were still needed at that point. For the open questions, it's square heel, convexed, no spacer.

Profile is here:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...Line-of-Knives?p=186529&viewfull=1#post186529

Spec is here:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...Line-of-Knives?p=186641&viewfull=1#post186641

Okay, Pierre and Lefty can correct me if I got it all wrong :)

Just bringing this forward so those asking question from time to time won't have to go as far to search them out :)

So Rick ( Pensacola Tiger ) Had a run with the knife, and passed on his thoughts. We are planning to make public all comments after the testers have had a chance to put their thoughts together. This way the next testers opinions aren't biased. I will say I am quite pleased with Ricks comments. Thanks Rick!

Back