Lasers-can they be too thin?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those look great! I cant wait to check out some new ones in hand!

Those handles look great. My top 2 favorite handles of yours so far.

These are amazing! I love the profile. Can't wait for mine!
Pesky

What are the woods in those handles? Do you have more pictures?

Pesky

What are the woods in those handles? Do you have more pictures?

Pesky

It looks to me like buckeye burl, redwood burl and maple burl.
I would like to see more photos as well.
Somebody drag Delbert away from the forge and get him to take more photos.

You were close Mark, the first one is amboynia and buckeye, and the second is buckeye and redwood.
I have a few more in progress that I hope to have pics of tonight. In the meantime, african blackwood and maple burl.

blackwood maple handle.jpg

blackwood maple gyuto.jpg

For those wondering how thin we are talkin here:

IMG_0603.JPG

~0.35mm thick 11mm behind the edge at the heel. And this was after Del fixed it.

Hey you've got a record-setting wire edge on there.

WAITAMINUTE! :eek2:

That's ridiculous. I don't think you'd ever have to use anything but a 5-6k stone on that. Even then you'd have to be careful to grind it evenly or you'd change the profile. An experts knife, but if you know what you are doing I bet it's out of this world.

Joe,
This is exactly what my interpretation of what you guys have been asking for when you talk about lasers. Yes it would be advisable to sharpen this knife with a high grit stone and not with a lot of pressure. I have been working with this steel mix for over 10 years now and I know how far I can push it. When it comes to performance its amazing. I used the passaround knife for a day in my own kitchen, to guage the slimmer profile, and WOW. It went right through a cantalope seeds and all with hardly any pressure at all and no wedging either. I also modified the handle a bit, slimmed it down at the bolster. These knives are top notch right now, and there, at this moment, seems only one issue that has been brought up that I have not yet addressed, that is of convex bevels. This will be something I will be working on in the near future.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge with me and helping me improve.
Del

I didn't realize this when looked at every single picture of your knives you have posted, or handling them at ECG, or for the first day I had mine. You have no maker's mark on the blade (or handle I suppose). You have a pretty distinctive style and I could easily pick one out of a line up, but any reason you don't have your name on these bad boys?

Joe,
This is exactly what my interpretation of what you guys have been asking for when you talk about lasers. Yes it would be advisable to sharpen this knife with a high grit stone and not with a lot of pressure. I have been working with this steel mix for over 10 years now and I know how far I can push it. When it comes to performance its amazing. I used the passaround knife for a day in my own kitchen, to guage the slimmer profile, and WOW. It went right through a cantalope seeds and all with hardly any pressure at all and no wedging either. I also modified the handle a bit, slimmed it down at the bolster. These knives are top notch right now, and there, at this moment, seems only one issue that has been brought up that I have not yet addressed, that is of convex bevels. This will be something I will be working on in the near future.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge with me and helping me improve.
Del

In case it came across that way, there was no intent of criticism in my post. I love the knives. You've somehow hit on that rare thing where your knives are distinct and instantly recognizable and yet still meet all the criteria that we judge a good knife on. It's a great accomplishment and something you should be really proud of. I wish I had the funds to afford one!

On the convex issue. This is a really personal thing (some people love thin knives with flat grinds, some people love convex grinds and thicker knives). I don't know if it would be possible to grind a knife convex and keep it as thin as you like your knives to be - though if you pulled that off it would be pretty amazing! But IMO this falls into the "there's no perfect knife that everyone who uses it will like every attribute of" deal. People that typically like convex knives like them because they want a heavier, thicker blade but they don't want wedging. Convexing helps with that. For knives ground as thin as yours, I'm not sure convexing will have much benefit... but then, what do I know! I'm looking forward to the results you get when you start playing around with a convex grind!

I didn't realize this when looked at every single picture of your knives you have posted, or handling them at ECG, or for the first day I had mine. You have no maker's mark on the blade (or handle I suppose). You have a pretty distinctive style and I could easily pick one out of a line up, but any reason you don't have your name on these bad boys?

Johnny,
There is a reason, when I moved from my old shop to my new one a couple of years ago, my etching machine got lost in the shuffle.
I was working on a new mark, a stamp this time, and have it finished, but not yet ordered. Then a week ago a friend came up with a shiny new idea, which I am working on now.
I really didn't want to hold up the process for these past few months, and I like you believe that my knives have a very distinctive style, which sets them apart.
Del

Joe,
I was glad for your post, I didn't take it as criticism.
As far as the convex grinding goes, a little convex goes a long way.
Thanks for the compliments,
Del

For those wondering how thin we are talkin here:

IMG_0603.JPG

~0.35mm thick 11mm behind the edge at the heel. And this was after Del fixed it.

This picture really tells the story of what Del can do with grinding, he has amazing skill.

I want to thank Johnnychance for buying one of the modified gyutos, and especially for the wonderful conversation I had with him today. He has helped my understanding of the last few touches I need to make the perfect knife. I now have the understanding of the convexing that has been brought up and I will definately be working on that for knives in the future.
Thanks again,
Del

holy. flippin'. @#$&!. when does the pass around hit me? i can't wait to try something like that!

I will post a list soon, I have been a bit remiss with that. Its going to Jim next.
Thanks,
Del

It's in USPS's hands right now, and should be to Jim on Monday. I will post my review tonight or on Saturday. I was sad to see it go, especially since it wanted to play with Pierre's Damasteel pass-around :)

Can't wait to see this review Wildboar. Del has been working on perfecting his knives and it wi be interesting on how it stacks up against other custom manufacturers.

Pesky

Back