Last chance to like Brussels sprouts recipe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was young, I had a distinct dislike for brassicas. Cauliflower, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, turnip, kohlrabi; they all taste bitter and, for a young person, taste buds are a lot more sensitive to those notes. Once I turned 30 or so, I suddenly found myself enjoying those vegetables, presumably because my taste buds weren't as sensitive by then, and probably because I had turned into a much less fussy eater.

no, it was just because you grew up. i.e., developed a mature taste sensibility, as opposed to being a … child.

Brussels has this specific taste that no matter how you prepare it if someone hates it to begin with they will never enjoy it.
I know the flavour you mean - it’s that light sulfuric bitterness right?

If you balance that with the right flavours (acid, sweetness, fat), you can either cut through it or tone it down massively.

With a well made vinaigrette I can quite happily have them raw thinly sliced in a pasta salad. They add a nice crunch.

I am aware this may prompt disgust ☺️

Last edited:
I am aware this may prompt disgust
that it does indeed ;-)

Can we agree to disagree? I've tried them in any which way possible and simply do not care for them.
If I want crunch I'll add croutons or nuts, or radish or whatever BUT brussels sprouts.
Brussels sprouts have a standing 'Hausverbot'.

I really wonder what some foods taste like if you don't perceive the bad taste. Arugula is another one. I am convinced that people who like these don't taste what I do. The inverse happens with cilantro and I feel sorry for those who cannot enjoy it.

I really wonder what some foods taste like if you don't perceive the bad taste. Arugula is another one. I am convinced that people who like these don't taste what I do. The inverse happens with cilantro and I feel sorry for those who cannot enjoy it.
To me, cilantro has a metallic unpleasantness similar to licking brass. I recently found out that maybe five percent of people are genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro.

The good Arugula has a slight black pepper taste for me.

I love Brussel sprouts. being a cruciferous veg, it has to bee good for us.

I have a simplified version. clean, cut in half, wash. dump the damp/moist veg into a glass bowl, cover with plastic, poke some holes and microwave them until they are just softened..then drizzle with EVOO, and dump them into a hot bbq grill to char. salt pep taste...

To me, cilantro has a metallic unpleasantness similar to licking brass. I recently found out that maybe five percent of people are genetically predisposed to dislike cilantro.

well no. genetically predisposed to pick up what some call the 'soapy' taste of coriander leaves, yes. but this group are not predisposed to dislike it. they are not the same group. many with the 'sopa gene' likes cilantro coriander.

well no. genetically predisposed to pick up what some call the 'soapy' taste of coriander leaves, yes. but this group are not predisposed to dislike it. they are not the same group. many with the 'sopa gene' likes cilantro coriander.

I’ve tasted soap, and to me cilantro tastes nothing like soap. Closest I can get is a late transition metal salt, like copper or zinc sulfate.

I’ve tasted soap, and to me cilantro tastes nothing like soap. Closest I can get is a late transition metal salt, like copper or zinc sulfate.

i'm sorry for your loss. however, your dislike isn't genetically predisposed. eat a lot of and you'll like it eventually.

Yup! Never understood the soap thing. As a kid, smelling a bunch would literally make me vomit. My entire family disliked it, but apparently both my parents and my siblings all grew to love it. I’m at the age they learned to love it and I still despise the smell and taste. I’ve only encountered a single dish in my life improved by it, and that’s because it gets drowned by the amounts of parsley and mint in proportion in the recipe so you never taste it.

Am I now 'gene challenged' for not having a gene known to influence my dislike for brussels sprouts ?
I don’t think one can say until the genetics (and epigenetics) of flavor perception and response are better known.

I was SO hoping for a gene difference to blaim for my dislike of brussels sprout
my gut call is that they’ll find one.
One thing I will say with confidence is that smell and taste perception are quite variable. I believe there to be objective differences in the organism underlying most of those. It is unlikely that all our flavor/odor responses are conditioned or acquired. That strikes me as purely behaviorist, and I don’t put much stock in behaviorism as an all-purpose theory.

Back