Le Fanal - a Michelin star experience

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSC /// Knives

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
I believe it was Feb 2018 my cousin took me to La Trompette in London. My first Michelin star restaurant experience

The other day I was treated to my second experience. There are 6 Michelin star restaurants in my near area where I live in Rivesaltes. We decided on Le Fanal in banyuls sur mer
we decided on the entry level menu because my partner doesn’t eat A lot and frankly doesn’t even go for the haute cuisine. So there was no point in me going for the higher level menu and being out of sync presentation wise

Memorable aspects
The house made bread
The house red wine
The fish
The vegetables

Attachments

• 31258C6C-0D8E-43F8-B38A-B54482ACA04D.jpeg
    31258C6C-0D8E-43F8-B38A-B54482ACA04D.jpeg
    175.4 KB · Views: 102
  • A3AD9EB1-40B7-4337-8FF7-181E819DBA58.jpeg
    A3AD9EB1-40B7-4337-8FF7-181E819DBA58.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 1564D6B2-80EF-40EE-B43C-5D2D9727D897.jpeg
    1564D6B2-80EF-40EE-B43C-5D2D9727D897.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 106
  • E70C1FB7-8A3B-49C3-B958-F45693F7E1A1.jpeg
    E70C1FB7-8A3B-49C3-B958-F45693F7E1A1.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 89
  • B218FF8C-7794-4CE1-8D14-227272F45BC9.jpeg
    B218FF8C-7794-4CE1-8D14-227272F45BC9.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 829C461F-F41A-421A-90F5-3F5D77A925C0.jpeg
    829C461F-F41A-421A-90F5-3F5D77A925C0.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 4A03AF02-7D90-45F2-A397-234E741989EA.jpeg
    4A03AF02-7D90-45F2-A397-234E741989EA.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 86
  • AA52F3B2-F1AA-4F39-B20A-BD21EE62B6A8.jpeg
    AA52F3B2-F1AA-4F39-B20A-BD21EE62B6A8.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 88
  • 51798DD5-4558-4E57-95CF-6DE503226A69.jpeg
    51798DD5-4558-4E57-95CF-6DE503226A69.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 5249E913-285C-41DF-A351-5C39F66E2255.jpeg
    5249E913-285C-41DF-A351-5C39F66E2255.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 97
NICE!

Just wait what happens when you go up the Michelin * ladder...I was totally blown away the first time I had dinner at a 1* place decades ago, and then knew what to expect sort-of on further occasions over some years.

A few years ago I was left totally speechless when we had dinner at a 2* place to celebrate a big event....to the point where we did not wanted the taste explosions to stop and we dared each other to lick our plates (my GF won), we both were mind numbed and physically wasted after finishing dinner.

By all means try, even if once in a lifetime!

NICE!

Just wait what happens when you go up the Michelin * ladder...I was totally blown away the first time I had dinner at a 1* place decades ago, and then knew what to expect sort-of on further occasions over some years.

A few years ago I was left totally speechless when we had dinner at a 2* place to celebrate a big event....to the point where we did not wanted the taste explosions to stop and we dared each other to lick our plates (my GF won), we both were mind numbed and physically wasted after finishing dinner.

By all means try, even if once in a lifetime!
I'm with you and I would do it, there a couple 2 star places here in the south as well and of course Paris, Lyon etc
the problem is my partner has no interest in it, so the experience wouldn't be what it could be with someone who is eager and interested

I'm with you and I would do it, there a couple 2 star places here in the south as well and of course Paris, Lyon etc
the problem is my partner has no interest in it, so the experience wouldn't be what it could be with someone who is eager and interested
Go with a friend!

That's one of my Bucket list items actually. Always wanted to try at minimum 1 star Cousine but I know I will be intrigued to try 2 star after to compare at some point. Sometimes I am glad I am not rich as things like this remain a highlight in life

That's one of my Bucket list items actually. Always wanted to try at minimum 1 star Cousine but I know I will be intrigued to try 2 star after to compare at some point. Sometimes I am glad I am not rich as things like this remain a highlight in life
This one had a reasonable prix fixe menu for €38 which includes tax and tip

I’ve been to numerous bib gourmand level restaurants and I don’t see much difference with a 1 star Michelin restaurant but that could also be because of the level of my order

Bib gourmand being close to 1 star is also my experience, the jump from 1* to ** is IMO far bigger! (and in price too)

This one had a reasonable prix fixe menu for €38 which includes tax and tip

I’ve been to numerous bib gourmand level restaurants and I don’t see much difference with a 1 star Michelin restaurant but that could also be because of the level of my order

Yeah I have looked a bit and we have Alexander Hermanns near us. 2 stars and between 189 for 6 course and 219 for 8. So with wine to the meals my better half and I would be out like 900. Ouch

There are a few places where my brother in law lives that are 1 star and cheaper but didn't see anything for 38 so far as 1 star in my short search. Usually around 80 or so. But hey you only live once.

Many 1 start places have special deals, like a set very affordable menu on one day in the week. Or have lunch, both offer a good opportunity to sample the goods at a reasonable price level.

Covid permitting, we're going to San Sebastien in April after our wedding and have Martin Berasetagui (3*) booked.

Can't wait.

Previously been to Restaurant Nathan Outlaw before it changed to Outlaw's New Road (2* at the time). It was unreal. One of courses was literally just a piece of fish with "Porthilly sauce" and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Not sure we've ever been to a 1*, lol.

Covid permitting, we're going to San Sebastien in April after our wedding and have Martin Berasetagui (3*) booked.
Well if Covid scuppers that plan don't forget to cancel in writing in plenty of time or face a 220 Euro per person charge. Ouch

I've told people a million times that I'd rather have one 3* meal then 20 basic meals in a "regular" place. Even friends who don't have a lot of money, I recommend that they stick 5 bucks a month aside until for the treat. It's that impressive if you like food.

I've been fortunate enough to eat at many of them and have generally been stunned by the experience.

that sort of places take some planning anyway....I happened to plan a trip to Kopenhagen a while ago and wanted to eat at Noma...no dice unless you plan like 3 months ahead or you are a star or frequent guest...same with some 3* places in the Netherlands, Fat Duck etc....there just is too much money going around, dang

I've told people a million times that I'd rather have one 3* meal then 20 basic meals in a "regular" place. Even friends who don't have a lot of money, I recommend that they stick 5 bucks a month aside until for the treat. It's that impressive if you like food.

I've been fortunate enough to eat at many of them and have generally been stunned by the experience.

My filosofy too!

Until a like 15 years ago a 1* meal was a rare treat, now I can afford 3* (yet with Covid -and even without- planning is impossible, now THAT is a first world problem!) and plan to sample while I can. When push comes to shove I can make my own seriously good food for little money (look at all the crae around Cucina Povere)

that sort of places take some planning anyway....I happened to plan a trip to Kopenhagen a while ago and wanted to eat at Noma...no dice unless you plan like 3 months ahead or you are a star or frequent guest...same with some 3* places in the Netherlands, Fat Duck etc....there just is too much money going around, dang

Yup, I ate at Noma some years ago. It was great - a top 5 experience for sure.

Reservations are generally less awful here in Paris, likely because there are so many of the high end places and they are so expensive. They are a catastrophe in the States for many places: Thomas Keller started a reservation trend with French Laundry where you could only book exactly 2 months in advance, starting at 11am each day. The restaurant was booked every day by 11:00.05. Many other places followed that trend, and during their hot periods reservations were luck-based at best.

I was at a cooking class where Keller was the chef instructor 20 years ago. The class was fun, the food was amazing, and Keller got extremely upset when, during one Q&A, a bunch of the attendees started berating his reservation policy. He lost his temper somewhat, eventually just saying "you don't know what you are talking about, I've had a full house every night for years, so I do." Crickets after that.

I agree with the above, if you're really, really into food and hospitality, its worth saving up for an every once in awhile splurge. I've been fortunate enough to have eaten at a lot of really great restaurants and my favorite meals are also some of my favorite life memories. There is something really special that happens when you have great friends, great food, excellent wine, and a world class hospitality team running the show. Some of my friends go to big sporting events, some have season tickets to fine arts, I have my fancy meals. If you're into it, it makes sense, if not, probably better to spend you $ on something more important to you.

Was going to go to Peru in June 2020 and do Central and Maido while I was there, but covid took care of that... Someday I'll be out and traveling again, haven't decided what my next blowout will be.

@HSC /// Knives, I LOVE the cheese cart above. Something so fun and baroque about old school cart service! When I was at Steirereck in Vienna summer 2017, they had absolutely insane cheese, bread, and brandy carts (that brandy cart was my first taste of Rochelt and subsequent enlightenment).

I looked up a list of Michelin star restaurants in the US. They are all in California, D.C., Illinois, and New York? What's the game with that? It is implausible that there is no exemplary fine dining in other States. The wealth in Jackson Hole would likely require it.

I looked up a list of Michelin star restaurants in the US. They are all in California, D.C., Illinois, and New York? What's the game with that? It is implausible that there is no exemplary fine dining in other States. The wealth in Jackson Hole would likely require it.
They generally pick different regions. San Francisco and surrounding wine and tech cities and New York are usually on it. Los Angeles has been left out for awhile. Vegas pops up from time to time. They generally skip over the middle of the U.S. except for maybe like Chicago.

In my opinion, Michelin Guide is a mix of politics and merit based decisions.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin_Guide

It was definitely interesting to visit a city (Hong Kong) before and after the first Michelin inspectors visited the place.

An obscure second-floor place where I wandered in one day and was blessed with a river fish in a vinegar sauce that still haunts me, in a near-empty dining room, became really hard to get into, and much higher-priced.

A not particularly notable, but popular, Taiwanese snacks chain, got a star for some reason.

My favorite obscure yellow-tablecloth Sichuan got a star, and went upscale. The tablecloths were red, the prices were much higher, and a couple of my favorite dishes vanished.

And of course some recognized greats got their deserved stars.

Was the place better off for the visit of the Michelin inspectors? Can't say yes, can't say no.

Principally it is because they only started doing Michelin red guides in the states in about 2003 or so, and they started in a couple of notable food "meccas" only. The inspection process is therefore focused in those locations.

Also, many fine places for food in the states simply don't qualify for stars because they are much too crowded and noisy. Stars are based on the entire experience, which includes a lot of points for the setting. 3* places generally have multiple meters between tables. Famously, Taillevant, an exquisite place in Paris that held 3* for over 30 years, lost one about 15 years ago because the interior was just slightly too crowded in the eyes of the inspectors. I've eaten there several times - it's not crowded at all compared to 99% of places, but it was too much for 3 stars. The food hadn't changed, they just lost a star. Funny enough, they were on the affordable side for a Paris 3* - at the time 130 to 180 euros per person for food only. So they raised their prices slightly, didn't lose any business at all, and the place is still as good as it ever was. Service is still impeccable.

Very, very few US spots respect that standard of comfort.

They generally pick different regions. San Francisco and surrounding wine and tech cities and New York are usually on it. Los Angeles has been left out for awhile.

It's kind of silly...
San Francisco has a population of under 900,000 and 53 restaurants that are at least Bib Gourmand.
I can walk to 17 within a mile of my home in Japantown.
This doesn't even include Oakland, wine country or the tech cities in the South Bay.
San Francisco totals:
3 Star: 3
2 Star: 7
1 Star: 21
Bib Gourmand: 22
https://guide.michelin.com/us/en/ca...2-stars-michelin/1-star-michelin/bib-gourmand
Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 9.56.23 AM.png

somehow I do not imagine that Michelin is not using several inspectors inspecting the same places and therefore also checks the inspectors

There’s Robuchon in Vegas. We actually met Robuchon several times at his more casual Atelier de Robochuon (the main restaurant has the stars); he was really a super nice guy and hilariously I didn’t even know who he was the first time we ate there and met him. He loved our daughter who was around 6-8 at the time and came over to meet her after our waiter told him she inhaled a couple of their foie gras dishes; Robuchon sent us over one of every dessert after saying hello 😍

I’ve eaten at several Michelin star restaurants in the US and honestly I think in the last 15+ years with the explosion of chef-owned restaurants and the foodie scene you can get amazing world-class meals at places that don’t have stars. We used to go looking for those starred restaurants when we were younger but now don’t put much emphasis on it at all. I do kinda regret not going to Kin Khao in SF even though I stayed in that hotel several times, though. But in SF it’s not like you’re starved for amazing restaurant choices.

If we ever get over this covid business I’m feeling like I might include some destination restaurants in Europe (with Michelin stars) in our next few trips though.

It is not listed, unless I am using the search incorrectly. Robuchon — MICHELIN Guide – the official website

Must’ve fallen off; I think it may be the only restaurant in Vegas to have earned 3 stars at least once upon a time. I’ve never been to the main restaurant but Atelier de Robuchon is fantastic. Looks like Atelier earned 1 star at one point as well (I never realized it till just now and I’ve been there at least a dozen times 🤣 )

Back