Let's see your EDCs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSC01730.jpg

Top to bottom:

Rader integral EDC in CruForgeV with Koa and Walrus Ivory
Ed Caffrey EBK in Damascus with jigged bone
Ed Caffrey EBK in 52100 with Ivory micarta
Ed Caffrey EBK in 1084 with G10 scales.
Missing from the photo is my Burt Foster Dark Side, in stainless clad 1095.

In all honesty, it is the 1084 Caffrey and the Burt Foster that are the true EDC's, the others get used for more semi-dress or dress occasions. Here's a shot of the Rader with its new sheath:
DSC01729.jpg

Reed

[SUB][/SUB]Does anyone know of anybody that can work on folders, specifically Spyderco? I have a Caly 3.5 in hitachi blue steel that an idiot friend of mine left outside. There's some rust inside the folding mechanism. I'm hoping to find someone who can tear it apart, clean it up, polish the blade and just bring it back to life.

One I have been using from Ivan Campos. I had to rehandle it since the original handle shrunk so much in the Utah climate, but its a great little knife:

IMG_0371_zps0e5772f8.jpg

LOL. I have the exact same EBK as the one on the bottom.
DSC01730.jpg

Top to bottom:

Rader integral EDC in CruForgeV with Koa and Walrus Ivory
Ed Caffrey EBK in Damascus with jigged bone
Ed Caffrey EBK in 52100 with Ivory micarta
Ed Caffrey EBK in 1084 with G10 scales.
Missing from the photo is my Burt Foster Dark Side, in stainless clad 1095.

In all honesty, it is the 1084 Caffrey and the Burt Foster that are the true EDC's, the others get used for more semi-dress or dress occasions. Here's a shot of the Rader with its new sheath:
DSC01729.jpg

Reed

A Rader folder would be up there for me, as the coolest knife ever! Has anyone seen one?

Here is todays carry.
2012-12-15_11-51-11_40.jpg

ZT 0350 folder in S30v, HHH MTN necker and a hunter/utility made by me in 1084/15n20 with a walrus ivory handle

Does anyone here make Kydex sheaths or can anyone recommend me a maker? I have a Benchmade Snody 210 Activator with a sharkskin sheath but I want to carry it around my neck. Benchmade makes one but apparently it's not very good and people recommend custom. Any help?

It's the same size as below. Surprisingly comfortable in hand despite the very small size.

P8070343.jpg

Kershaw RJII non serrated. Big, fast, and it takes a wicked edge.

31odBvMu9rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I would ask Tom krein.....his sheaths are really good....he did a few for me and I was very happy....Ryan

Just google his info

GAR-3-1_zps8dfc5c9b.jpg

EDC that belongd to my great-great-great grandfather. Carried all through the Civil war.

Dave

just waiting on my order then i can finally post something on here. lol.

=D

Kershaw with mother of pearl. One hander.

Salty, did you attach those scales to your Leek or did you buy it that way?

I have two Leeks now...one with Sandvik steel and just picked up the CPM-D2 composite yesterday. Such a sweet little wharncliffe blade.

my edc knives =D

Franz, I just received a brown Skyline just like yours yesterday (got a blem for $25 - only mistake was text on blade was printed to high) and I already had the black G10 with regular matte blade...fun knife to flip and play with.

Franz, I just received a brown Skyline just like yours yesterday (got a blem for $25 - only mistake was text on blade was printed to high) and I already had the black G10 with regular matte blade...fun knife to flip and play with.

cool, got mine from kershawguy. was supposed to be a blem but he threw in a retail version for me. which was awesome. my blur's a blem! =D

i just got these two two weeks ago. first folders that were actually worth showing. i had a $2.50 dollar folder (philippines, you gotta love the prices here!) i bought off some guy on the street from way back. it's still around, but retired soon as i got these babies.

=D

Salty is the Kershaw a lock blade? I've been carrying a Buck Prince for years just because it's small and I prefer a lock blade.

The Leek series includes some of Kershaw's most popular knives, and the K.O. Leek serrated folding knife is no exception. This particular knife features a distinctive design by celebrated knife maker Ken Onion, who created the SpeedSafe ambidextrous assisted opening system. With SpeedSafe, the user can smoothly and easily deploy the blade with one hand, either left or right. This makes it ideal for sporting and work situations in which one-handed opening is easier and safer, such as when hunting, fishing, or working with your hands on the job site. The K.O. Leek also sports a bead-blasted stainless-steel handle, which gives the knife a sleek, cutting-edge look. If the stainless handle isn't your cup of tea, Kershaw also offers Leek knives in a variety of other handle styles, some with technologically advanced coatings for enhanced performance. For example, the red "smoked" double-anodized aluminum handle is a true head turner, while the black tungsten DLC-coated handle produces a non-reflective surface. As an alternative, you can opt for the Pink Leek, with its fashionable pink anodized aluminum handle, or the Rainbow Leek, which boasts a titanium oxide coating that produces a highly scratch-resistant, brilliant rainbow finish.

The SpeedSafe assisted opening system lets you smoothly deploy the blade with 1 hand. The K.O. Leek also comes with a Kershaw pocket clip, which is meant to be clipped with the handle on the inside of your pocket. The clip is not to be worn on a belt, as this is an unsafe way to carry your belt. Other features include a frame lock, which locks the blade into position after the blade is deployed, and a thumb stud for easier one-handed opening.

About the SpeedSafe System
The patented SpeedSafe knife-opening system helps users open the knife by applying manual pressure to the thumb stud or blade protrusion. The heart of the SpeedSafe system--which is built into many of Kershaw's best-selling knives--is its torsion bar, which keeps gravity from opening the knife. After the blade is out of the handle, the torsion bar moves along its half-moon track and takes over, smoothly opening the blade and locking it into position, ready for use. Although they may look similar at first glance, SpeedSafe knives are not considered switchblades. Unlike a switchblade, SpeedSafe knives do not deploy with the push of a button in the handle or by gravity alone. Instead, the user must manually overcome the torsion bar's resistance, putting the knives outside the federal definition of a switchblade. However, it's the responsibility of the buyer to investigate and comply with the laws and regulations that apply in his or her specific area. Buyers should rest assured, however, that SpeedSafe knives are extremely safe, as they open only when the user manually deploys them, and lock securely into position when open so they don't close accidentally.

Knife Maker Ken Onion
A master of his trade, Ken Onion is one of the most sought-after custom knife makers in the industry. His knives can be found in the most prestigious private knife collections as well in as in the pockets of his dedicated customers. Ken's involvement in the knife trade dates back to his time in Palestine, West Virginia, where he was inspired at the age of 12 by Vernon Ott, a local blacksmith and maker of garden tools and knives. In the ensuing years, Ken joined the U.S. Marine Corps and worked in such fields as construction, heavy equipment repair, and hydraulics repair, always with an eye toward eventually designing the perfect knife. In November of 1991, Ken met Stan Fujisaki, a talented knife maker who agreed to teach him the tricks of the trade. After years of preparation--and some inspiration while working on a Harley cam for a friend--Ken created his first SpeedSafe knife. Today, Ken designs a custom selection of knives for Kershaw, many featuring the patented SpeedSafe torsion bar system for assisted opening. Ken is personally involved throughout the design and manufacturing process to ensure that each knife meets his high standards for performance and quality.

Specifications:

Blade material: Sandvik 13C26 stainless steel
Handle: 410 stainless steel
Blade length: 3 inches
Closed length: 4 inches
Weight: 3 ounces
Warranty: Limited lifetime

13c26 is the sandvik version of aeb-l, but then kershaw's heat treat on these sucks, and they moved to 14c28n on their other models which has better heat treat.

cool, got mine from kershawguy.
Me too :knife:

My regular Leek is the 14c28n version...it takes a very refined, polished edge very easily -- the best blade I've used to slice wrapping paper over this holiday season.

Duckfat, his Leek has a framelock and is an assisted opener (unless he removed the spring himself)

kershaw guy's a great seller. too bad he doesn't ship internationally. which is fine with me since i have a 3rd party courier that does that for me via several US addresses they provide. and i use that for most of my online purchases in the states.

=D

Salty is the Kershaw a lock blade? I've been carrying a Buck Prince for years just because it's small and I prefer a lock blade.

Not sure what a "lock" blade is? I'm not much into "jack knives". It does lock open. And the scales came on the knife.

Here's the brand new Leek I just bought to replace the last one I owned, which was basically sharpened into a toothpick with olive scales. Excuse the crappy cellphone pics.

leek1.jpg

leek2.jpg

First thing I did was flip the clip and pop off the safety. This was how I carried the last one for ages... but I guess the quick release on this one is particularly jumpy.

leek3.jpg

Pocket deployment. Derp.

^
I had the same blue smoke Leek, but gave it to a friend this summer as it had a more pronounced recurve than my random Leek which had a much flatter profile.

Damn, now I wish I would have just changed the blades on them before giving, because I'm realizing how much better the blue/black aluminum looks over my stainless steel.

On a side note, if anyone is looking for inexpensive, fixed blades for non-kitchen use, please take a look at Mora. I received 5 of various size and stainless/carbon a few days ago, and liked them so much that I just ordered another 6 to gift away....amazing bang for your buck -- under $15 each and come with a utilitarian sheath.

24gsn4j.jpg

azb0iw.jpg

No matter how much you try to resist, the knife addiction doesn't let up.
x0uptl.jpg

i love me moras as well =D cheap, gets sharp nice and as hard as j-knives.

I can't stop buying new knives. All I wanted was one good folder, and here I am now...with an 18" machete.

2m5ikxw.jpg

2uf9dom.jpg

Back