Line knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to admit I was a little nervous posting that pic, but it seems that with a few of you I hit the nail on the head.
So how about the santoku? Does that look alright or is it hideous? I know that it's a knife more for the masses, but I have a show in march this year that I'd like to take a few to.
Thanks,
Del

The line knife looks awesome, as long as big hands with big knuckles don't bang the cutting board when using it. How tall is the blade?

I'd buy one =)

I mean, what is the clearance height of the blade edge to the handle?

I personally like a very short knife for the line, I hope it's not too tall!

That line knife looks awesome if love to have that laying around.

The line knife looks great though knuckle clearance could be tight. Hard to tell from the photo and may be okay even if that were the case.

Regarding the santoku, assuming the photo accurately depicts the profile, it looks to have more belly than what is typical and preferred. It also looks to have a fair amount of curve in the spine between the heel and the tip. I think it would look better if the spine continued along the same plane as the tang and then dropped to the edge. Also if the curve toward the tip were more gradual and started further away from the tip it would look better.

Yeah, just a tad taller on the line knife so it can be used on the board and I am in. Heck I am in anyway. I am excited.

The santoku looks ok. In my opinion you should make the nose less abrupt, also it seems to have a good bit of belly for a santoku.

As long as we are talking about line knives, if you keep that same profile and grind the front down to a point you would have a pretty awesome mini gyuto.

Looks amazing, but I agree on the knuckle clearance, would have to test it to see if I liked it or not.

Dammit Del, you've done it again. That line knife looks down right amazing. Can't wait to see it with your handle work. On my cutting board.

The santoku has a bit of a Ken Onion feel with the curve and blunt tip. I'm not sure what "the masses" do with their knives, but my gut feeling is to take advantage of the lower point by making the edge flatter. I don't know if the curve is due to a perceived need to specialize in rocking, but that seems to undermine the concept of the santoku in the first place.

Consider the Shigefusa santoku profile. It's meant to really be an all-rounder for squash/fruit, veggies, and meat (the san toku).
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kurouchi-165mm-wa-santoku/

The santoku has a bit of a Ken Onion feel with the curve and blunt tip. I'm not sure what "the masses" do with their knives, but my gut feeling is to take advantage of the lower point by making the edge flatter. I don't know if the curve is due to a perceived need to specialize in rocking, but that seems to undermine the concept of the santoku in the first place.

Consider the Shigefusa santoku profile. It's meant to really be an all-rounder for squash/fruit, veggies, and meat (the san toku).
http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/shigefusa-kurouchi-165mm-wa-santoku/

That is a sweet looking santoku, looks like I may go back to the drawing board with that one.
Thanks for the input.
Del

Santoku reminds me of my Boker. Didn't work for me but then again it was thick. Home cook I dunno, but I couldn't sell the Boker here.

Taller on the line knife, or a slightly higher handle angle and I'm in- I'd actually like an extra 5-10mm in length too, but will go for 210. Santoku has too much belly- I really like the global g5 profile (hate the steel and edge performance however) and love the shigefusa with its higher angle handle and flat blade profile.

That is a sweet looking santoku, looks like I may go back to the drawing board with that one.
Thanks for the input.
Del
Though the vocal knife enthusiast community tends to denounce santoku, I've heard from a few members who love the Shigefusa version and use it all the time. Actually got me looking for one, though I don't feel like putting up with the upkeep. The Itinomon version looks OK and looks like it has a somewhat blunter tip, if one wants to lean in that direction.

I look forward to future developments on it...it's a much more interesting and practical knife style for a guy like me than the typical "line knife". When I was just starting on the hobby, I was led to believe (in large part by communities like this that cater to pros) that as a small-output home cook, a santoku is an acceptable but inferior choice compared to a gyuto or gyuto/petty combo...but now I'm questioning that. I am not a fan of the stub pointed ones, but some of the sleeker ones would easily pass in the eyes of many as a "funayuki" or a "mini-gyuto" or "tall petty" with a tall heel, lower tip and relatively flat edge. I have suspected for a while that my kitchen would benefit from exactly that kind of knife, though I've been in denial.

Using a santoku is like wearing a pink shirt. Some guys can pull it off. I like monster trucks and assault weapons.

I'm literally drinking from a pink mug, at the firehall, while reading this. Is that like wearing a pink shirt? Guys know not to mess with my mug, and to be honest, I doubt most of them would be comfortable using it anyways. Along the same line of thought, I rocked a Shige Santoku for a while and it was flat out awesome. It went to a good home, so I'm not upset about selling it...well, that upset. To be honest, that thing was all the knife any home cook would ever need.

Del, I'd start with the Shige lines/profile and make it your own. As for the line knife, my one "warning" would be to make sure it isn't so flat that it almost seems recurved. I'd raise the tip a couple mm's, and then you're golden. Another nice little way to get around a narrow blade is by elongatin the emoto a tiny bit, or by keeping the choil where it is, but bringing the heel back a tad. This allows a natural spot for the fingers to move up and out of the way.

100_1444.jpg

So I made some adjustments.
On the line knife the handle is a bit narrower and the heel stands at 39mm I also brought the end of the tang up just a smidge.
the santoku I made some more serious mods more along the lines of the shig.
Let me know what you think.
Del

like the line knife now - when can I sign up for one?

Love the line knife. It's definitely what I had in mind!

They both look great.

I'm squinting my eyes, trying to picture the girth of the handle on the line knife.

Thanks for all the positive responses, my current goal is to get one of these completed before I open them up for a prebuy so that you guys will have a chance to see the finished knife. I estimate that I'll be working all this week on finishing up with the paring knives. I'll try and get one of these finished right after that. Then I will open up the prebuy to these, but I will be doing the spoons first.
Del

Back