Line knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Front of the santoku is a little stubby and has a bit more curve than I like; I'm kind of thinking to pick up something like a Zakuri Tosagata when it's available somewhere, but that's totally personal. Looks like you've figured out a good general shape.

View attachment 21784

So I made some adjustments.
On the line knife the handle is a bit narrower and the heel stands at 39mm I also brought the end of the tang up just a smidge.
the santoku I made some more serious mods more along the lines of the shig.
Let me know what you think.
Del

Ohhhhh...I like it. Is that one by chance going to have a spalted maple burl handle and a bog oak bolster? :biggrin:

Like the shape of both knives. I own that shig santoku that was linked, and i use it almost every day at work, and its just because its so, well, nice (for a santoku that is!) :) I like the new profile on yours much more than the first. Oh and the narrower the handle on the line knife, the better imo.

Will you be making the Deltoku in O-1 carbon or AEBL initially?

I will probably be making them in aebl once it arrives, but I can do it in either steel.
I am still not quite happy with it. I have the new prototype sitting on my bench and I look at it every day. I think its a bit tall, and so I may drop a bit of the height.
I am hoping to make a couple to take with me to the show in Wisconsin.
Del

I will probably be making them in aebl once it arrives, but I can do it in either steel.
I am still not quite happy with it. I have the new prototype sitting on my bench and I look at it every day. I think its a bit tall, and so I may drop a bit of the height.
I am hoping to make a couple to take with me to the show in Wisconsin.
Del
The chunky feeling I personally get from it is based on the edge being parallel to the spine, not from height alone. If you kept the same edge curvature while bringing the point up a few mm (i.e. the whole edge from the heel is angled upwards toward the spine a tiny bit) you'd have a more graceful profile in my unqualified opinion.

I personally would not like to see it go any shorter. Then it almost becomes a 210mm petty. If its too short you loose some of the ability to do a little bit of everything on the line with it as well a knuckle clearance. At least that has been my experience with 210mm pettys that I have tried to use in the past for this purpose.

He's talking about shortening the santoku. The line knife is pretty much set I think,

I personally would not like to see it go any shorter. Then it almost becomes a 210mm petty. If its too short you loose some of the ability to do a little bit of everything on the line with it as well a knuckle clearance. At least that has been my experience with 210mm pettys that I have tried to use in the past for this purpose.

Yes my comments were about the santoku.
Del

Del, what Damascus will you be making the line knife in?

Del,

If I may, the Santoku is less obviously an Ealy design.

The way the choil drops to the edge from the handle is an identifier of your knives. On the Santoku a shallower (less abrupt) curve here (like your line knife) would look more "Ealy like", basically, just sick!

I also have the Shig Santoku, and your revised profile still has a higher tip / more belly. A lower nose and flatter profile edge, together with a flattened spine towards the tip (again, more like your line knife), would be the duck's guts (so to speak).

Really looking forward to the finished result!

Cheers,

J

Del,

If I may, the Santoku is less obviously an Ealy design.

The way the choil drops to the edge from the handle is an identifier of your knives. On the Santoku a shallower (less abrupt) curve here (like your line knife) would look more "Ealy like", basically, just sick!

I also have the Shig Santoku, and your revised profile still has a higher tip / more belly. A lower nose and flatter profile edge, together with a flattened spine towards the tip (again, more like your line knife), would be the duck's guts (so to speak).

Really looking forward to the finished result!

Cheers,

J

Thanks,
I took a break on that one, too much going on, and I have to be in the right frame of mind to work on designs.
I can say I'm still not happy with what I have so far. I think the last one was a bit tall once I played with it a bit.
A lot of the comments seem to point to flatter profile and less belly, I got some of the same comments on my early gyutos.
I'll work on it when it feels right, I don't know if I'll have one done for the show.
Del

Back