Looking for a Nakiri, please help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recall when he made the switch it was for logistical reasons, faster thruput, more readily available steel, lower failure rate or something along these lines. Not because white is inherently "better".

Thanks Dave, I couldn't remember the reason and that does make sense. That said, I really liked his treatment of AS super and am guessing he's really nailed the white as well.

I recently bought a 180mm nakiri from watanabe. I got it upgraded and had an octagonal handle with horn hilt. Cost me $270 with shipping to nyc. Got it in 4 days straight from japan.

It looks light but its quite hefty, its perfect. Ootb is sharp AF.

Shinichi is just awesome.

Congrats. I think it's been almost established here that if you buy ONE Nakiri, it's the 180 Watanabe Pro. Mine will get a Stefan Keller handle soon [emoji12]

FWIW, I believe he uses white 1, the fact that he used to use ao super says something.

Post #2 in this thread is a link to the Professional, 180mm, blue steel core, stainless cladding. I believe he takes his blue to around 63-65 HRC, harder than many other makers.

His Standard is a 165mm with white steel. I didn't see any note about whether it's clad (I assume so) or with what material.

I would just chime in and ask whether someone could post the weight of the 180 Watanabe nakiri with original handle, thanks :)

For carbon options, I'd also consider Sirou Kamo (don't own one), Goko/Yamakawa (own one), Katsushige Anryu (own one), Tanaka (don't own one).

Post #2 in this thread is a link to the Professional, 180mm, blue steel core, stainless cladding. I believe he takes his blue to around 63-65 HRC, harder than many other makers.

His Standard is a 165mm with white steel. I didn't see any note about whether it's clad (I assume so) or with what material.

My post was regarding Carter nakiris, I'm fully aware of Watanabe steel use/ht.

Sorry didn't mean to come off like a jerk...as far as Watanabe, I know absolutely nothing about his white steel though I would assume it's treated very well.

Watanabe uses blue steel (Yasuki blue fwiw I don't know what's different) for his pro Nakiri's. I have the 165mm version and it is DH and my go to knife. In fact, we now have "discussions" about who gets to do vegetable prep with it. DH usually wins because his knife skills are better than mine (boo hiss!)

I make do with a 180mm Waiku fwiw when we're both prepping. Not a bad choice either.

I've only had the Waiku for a few weeks. It's very nice, but the Wat is better. Even after almost three months with some light stropping the Wat still cuts through butternut squash and cauliflower better than my Waiku, or Tanaka. It holds the edge really, really well.

So there is something about how he heat treats that steel...

Most J Knives are made for functionality and "pretty" is a distant consideration. My 180 came with a horn ferrule but I liked the knife so well I had it re-handled after a bit. That's not uncommon for people with knives that they like.

You should ask what your options are prior to ordering. Even if plastic the handle will work fine and it's likely you'll be the only one that knows it's plastic.

Since I did end up buying off a fellow KKF member I'm going to have to wait and see about the handle/fuerrle, I'm not all that worried about aesthetics. If the functionality of my pinch grip is on the line, I might send it to Isiah or Ginger Ninja for a new handle further down the road. On that subject; anyone have handle makers they perfer?

It's plastic, which turns quite a few people off (including me). There's a good chance the ferrule won't be flush with the wood part.
Watanabe's handle upgrades aren't very cheap, so a lot of people don't think they're worth it.
I got a 150 petty (which also had the plastic ferrule), which is a great knife, I like it a lot. Now I like it even better since I put a leftover handle from another knife on it.

Watanabe uses blue steel (Yasuki blue fwiw I don't know what's different) for his pro Nakiri's. I have the 165mm version and it is DH and my go to knife. In fact, we now have "discussions" about who gets to do vegetable prep with it. DH usually wins because his knife skills are better than mine (boo hiss!)

I make do with a 180mm Waiku fwiw when we're both prepping. Not a bad choice either.

I've only had the Waiku for a few weeks. It's very nice, but the Wat is better. Even after almost three months with some light stropping the Wat still cuts through butternut squash and cauliflower better than my Waiku, or Tanaka. It holds the edge really, really well.

So there is something about how he heat treats that steel...

If it's anything like the heat treatment on a Toyama, the Watanabe would be special. The only way I can describe the heat treatment is: I has a density in the steel that runs through everything. Crazy description and sorry for the lack of adjectives...

In fact, we now have "discussions" about who gets to do vegetable prep with it. DH usually wins because his knife skills are better than mine (boo hiss!)

Well... this should be easy to fix. ;-)

A his and hers matching pair?

More seriously, I envy you having a better half who enjoys sharing the food prep with you.

When dating I thought he may have been a keeper when he got on the floor to play with a 3yo niece on one of our earlier dates.

I KNEW he was a keeper when he cooked me dinner for the first time. Home made spanakopita, nicely paired wine, and a pretty well put together salad.

I will eventually get the 180 Wat for DH. Then I can get my 165 back...:doublethumbsup:

There is something so intimate about preparing our meals together. The simple joy of sitting down as a family and eating a meal we prepared together is hard to describe. We work very well in the kitchen together.

Which is kinda ironic as he is on call this weekend, has been slammed, and I'm doing dinner solo right now as he helps another client.

Well... this should be easy to fix. ;-)

A his and hers matching pair?

More seriously, I envy you having a better half who enjoys sharing the food prep with you.

I have two Wats and love them both. Will be getting more.

Have my first Toyama on order (210 Nakiri!!!) and it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it compares.

If it's anything like the heat treatment on a Toyama, the Watanabe would be special. The only way I can describe the heat treatment is: I has a density in the steel that runs through everything. Crazy description and sorry for the lack of adjectives...

I have two Wats and love them both. Will be getting more.

Have my first Toyama on order (210 Nakiri!!!) and it should be here tomorrow. I can't wait to see how it compares.

Awesome blade and my favourite on the big butternut squash and other large, hard veg! Let us know how you like it!

Yesterday I jumped on the Watanabe wagon too. :slaphead:
The 180 SS clad B2 is on it's way.
Thanks a lot all you enablers.

Back