Masamoto gyutos on rakuten.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really only want the 240, not interested in the 270 as ks's run long already.

For the ones who purchased, were you able to select ferule colour?

Anyone whos got one of these get an email about postage, or did they just ship it?

well, apparently you can't choose the ferrule colour. however, i would ask. i bought mine because i wanted to get rid of the handle and mount a gorgeous stefan keller handle... i thought the ks would come with a standard black ferrule... now guess what, it showed up witha beautiful blonde ferrule... what will i do?

postage: you order it, then you receive an e-mail which adds postage/shipping. once you agree, the knife is shipped. oh, and they won't cheat on the value of the knife just because you would like to save some bucks on customs...

I asked about the ferrule after your post, the answer was this

Goods can send the thing of the color near blond.

I'm not holding my breath but I'll see!

Success! Got one, asked for blonde ferrule. I also asked if he sold sayas on the side also. Let's see what the seller says.

Been wanting to buy this knife for the longest time. I had to thin the herd first to justify it, sold my ux10 gyuto that was basically retired.

My only fear? I really hate d-handles. Will use it first to see, but might have to pony up for a re-handle. It'll be one of my work knifes so nothing too daft, def no bling bling spacers or uber exotic woods.

Altough it is not a Masamoto , I have bought a Yoshikane SKD 270mm gyuto from a Rakuten seller . Translation and communication was liitle on the painful side. They said it will take 3 months to make one... will see what comes in the mail then

Mine came today, took around two weeks including being held up at customs. I got slammed there, as per usual. Huge box, but very very well packaged. Knife is nice, and it came with a blondish ferrule like I asked for, , has two dark stripes in it.
Based on this I'd buy from rakuten again

Mine came today, took around two weeks including being held up at customs. I got slammed there, as per usual. Huge box, but very very well packaged. Knife is nice, and it came with a blondish ferrule like I asked for, , has two dark stripes in it.
Based on this I'd buy from rakuten again

God, don't remind me of custom charges! Iv'e got a Heiji on the way from Japan (not from rakuten) and i know i'm going to get killed by UK customs. The last time i bought a knife from overseas i was charged double than what i should have been.

Nice score on the KS btw. I hope you didn't get one of the thick behind the edge one that everyones talking about.

God, don't remind me of custom charges! Iv'e got a Heiji on the way from Japan (not from rakuten) and i know i'm going to get killed by UK customs. The last time i bought a knife from overseas i was charged double than what i should have been.

AFAIK Customs duty should be 8.5% on knives from Japan, Import VAT 20% and usually a "holding fee" from an arsehole company like Parcelforce (15 quid!). I like JCK.

I used it at work today, I don't think its thick behind the edge, but that might just be me being naive and not having as high standards as you guys. It does seem to have a pretty roughly finished handle that could use some oil on it. Dunno if thats a normal thing for them

Customs came to £42, including parcelforces fee

seems like Australia is quite import friendly. 0 tax on anything less than AU$1000 (US$ 900, £580).

Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto delivered to my door in 4 days from Japan for $225. You can't beat that. The F&F was excellent on this knife, I was a little concerned because I had heard stories about the quality of some of the Masamoto knives from Rakuten. I wouldn't have this knife if I hadn't been able to get it so cheap. The $325-350 they normally retail for was out of my league.

I got mine in the mail, Canada customs killed me, charged me $62. Probably should've shipped it to the States to dodge that bullet.

I got a saya to go with it, he charged ¥2730 for it (240).

Ended up being just slightly cheaper than jck factoring the customs hit. Alas it's the price of living here. Not sure if it's worth contesting the charge.

At least there wasn't a UPS/Fedex/DHL brokerage fee.

I got mine in the mail, Canada customs killed me, charged me $62. Probably should've shipped it to the States to dodge that bullet.

I got a saya to go with it, he charged ¥2730 for it (240).

Ended up being just slightly cheaper than jck factoring the customs hit. Alas it's the price of living here. Not sure if it's worth contesting the charge.

At least there wasn't a UPS/Fedex/DHL brokerage fee.

There's certainly no point in contesting the charge...The only reason you don't get hit with those charges when you orderered from JCK is because JCK fraudulently declares their products as being worth less than 20 dollars and therefore are not charged duty or tax by Canada customs.

You should have been charged 5% duty + 13% HST + a 10$ handling fee by Canadapost.

My google research tells me that duty on a Japanese kitchen knife to the US is 15%...Can any Americans confirm this or tell how much duty/taxes they pay when they order from someone who puts actual value on the customs declaration?

I've been shipped knives declared at 400 US dollars and I didn't take a hit (at least not yet). This has happened several times. I guess I've been lucky.

Having had many items shipped to me from all over the place, there's only one pattern I can find when it comes to items coming over the border via the postal system. Random luck-of-the-draw on the non-business-like packages, and unerring accuracy on the ones that have a business name on them.

I've had only one smart customs officer check online to verify (and correct!) the value of an under-declared item. It was an unmarked jnat in a package with the Japanese vendor's personal name only... so I think there's at least one officer in Canada Customs who is knowledgeable about knives and whetstones! :D

Just wanted to update this thread, noticed recently that Subaru on rakuten global are shipping international now. They've got pretty much every Masamoto and Sugimoto product in stock. some of the prices are as much the same as most places. But the Masamoto gyuto (KS, SW and forged KS) and pretty much all sugimotos (except the standard cleavers) are very reasonably priced.

I ordered an OMS6 and an HM petty, took a couple days to get confirmation that my package has been shipped and it was all in Japanese, apart from the tracking number, but only took 4 days in transit (over the weekend), maybe 8 days all up?

They do declare full value on their packages so might cause issues for UK or Canadian buyers. But worth a look, I'll probably give them another go.

Cheers,
Josh

Just wanted to update this thread, noticed recently that Subaru on rakuten global are shipping international now. They've got pretty much every Masamoto and Sugimoto product in stock. some of the prices are as much the same as most places. But the Masamoto gyuto (KS, SW and forged KS) and pretty much all sugimotos (except the standard cleavers) are very reasonably priced.

Subaru's store is pretty interesting,I never knew Masamoto made cleavers

Yup. I think Chen Kenichi used them for a little while on Iron Chef. Andy tried one a while but but never took to it. Cant remember what model it was but I think he felt it was just a touch too thick and heavy for a slicing cleaver but not quite there for a chopping cleaver, kinda in no mans land. I guess you could be confident the HT would at least be good.

Ive been looking for a 165mm KS petty for ages, This might be my ticket..

Back