Masamoto KS 270mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-29-13_1.jpgMasamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-29-13_2.jpgMasamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-29-13_3.jpgMasamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-29-13_4.jpgMasamoto-KS_vs_Yusuke_04-29-13_5.jpg

Sorry, for the hold-up fellas. I’ve been extremely busy these past couple of weeks.

Here are a couple of comparison shots of the choil, spine and tip looking down from the top. It's the best I can do with my point-n-shoot. The Masamoto is so much taller and longer the Yusuke!

I’m gonna try to make time to do a side by side video comparison this week. If I don’t get to it, I’ll ship the knife out to the next on the list regardless. Please PM me your shipping info. Cheers! mpp

Take a real hard look at the grind. Start from the edge.
Different cutting characteristics.

it is hard to compare as the yusuke is 240mm while the ks is 270mm.

but from the picture, it looks like he masamoto's grid will help with food release much better than the yusuke.

but the yusuke is thinner behind the edge. Am i right ??

Heiji_240-gyuto_choil_1.jpgHeiji_240-gyuto_choil_2.jpgHeiji_240-gyuto_choil_3.jpgHeiji_240-gyuto_choil_5.jpg Heiji 240 semi-stainless 240 gyuto choil shots - fixing, thinning & edge by Jon.

mailed to KS off to pleue today. I've been too busy to even do much cooking, let alone sharpen any knives. Sorry I didn't get to do any compare-o vids. My original assessment of the two still stands - they are very similar, but the Yusuke wins out in over all F&F, and is slightly thinner behind the edge and has a better convex grind. Thanks again Don - much appreciated!!! mpp

Knife arrived this weekend while I was away and I picked it up at the post office before work today. Initial impressions are it's a lot longer feeling than 270 (I have a 265mm fowler and a 270mm mac pro for comparison). Fun knife to use so far, edge worked fine for the stuff I was doing. I'll write more as I get a chance to put it through the paces at work.

Question: how do I deal with the reactivity/patina? I've seen some KS pics with some really nice patina on them but it's not for everyone. Is it something that I should polish off before sending it off to the next person? I sliced a few cooked steaks today with it and have a bunch of onions, lemons, and some proteins to do tomorrow, so it should be pretty patinaed by the time I'm done with it.

The knife got to the post office on sat. I will be picking it up on wed. Can't wait to use it.

Man, first time using white. I am in love. I now know why so many have them on the top of their list. It takes a edge and wants to hold on to it. Will do a thorough review after I send it off.

Zwiefel got it on the 20th. Wonder why he hasn't posted yet. ;)

Hmmmmm. Maybe he's drowning in his own knife cuts, a sea of mire poix...

Sorry guys...very very behind in getting this out to the next guy. ChinaCats has decided to pass on it (he got to play with it a bit when I was in Charlotte anyway, we didn't realize he was next on the list), so I'll ship this off to DaveB today (if I can make it) or tomorrow.

This made it in the post today. I'll be more diligent about getting passarounds out in a more timely fashion in the future.

Honestly, there was so much going on I wasn't able to give it proper attention. :(

Certainly a step up from my Masamoto VG though :)

Um, did I get skipped? Hate to be Mr C'mon, but looking at the list I thought I was next. Did I miss something? (Which I usually do...)

AAAARRRRRGGGGGGHHHH! I took the list from post #12. I didn't see the update in post #16. I need to stop multitasking beyond my abilities. I'm sorry. I'm not sure how to make this right....how about I reimburse you for shipping after DaveB?

Marc - I'll get it back on track by sending to you. Look for it on the 4th. :laugh:

PM me your details.

Dave,

Looks like your inbox is full. Seems to be my theme as well for today as I was once again having to empty mine out also

Knife has arrived safely in Tampa. Look forward to spending some quality time together. Marc next.

Latest posts

Back