Masamoto KS 270mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last update to the list as someone has reach out to me about buying the Masamoto KS.

1. mhenry - Tejas [current location]
2. mpukas - Colorado
3. pleue - Oregon
4. Crothcipt - Wyoming
5. Zwiefel - Arkansas
6. marc4pt0 - Maryland
7. chinacats - North Carolina
8. daveb - Florida
9. Miles - Tejas
10. wenus2 - Reno
11. Mike9 - New York
12. toddnmd - Maryland

This is post #22, which (I believe) was the latest update. Don, thanks for making this happen for all of us!

looks like china cats was skipped, looking at this list.

CC opted out on previous pg - he got to use it on Z's Tour. Guessing last 4 will go in order.

I liked the knife. I don't remember the numbers but it was about 25% lighter than 270 shig. Did daily tasks and made mire poix for a couple batches of chicken stock. Easy day. Good release. No accordion. Controlled well for mincing garlic. The knife showed no reactivity, went from onions to pears with a quick wipe and pears tasted like pears.

I did not sharpen, strop or remove what is becoming a well developed patina.

The knife did every thing very well but I don't get why it has almost a cult like following.

Thanks Don.

Hi Don please put me on the list, been wanting to try this knife for a long while.

Been trying to PM Wenus2 for coordinates so I can pass it along but his inbox is full.

I've really enjoyed working with the KS. LOOOOVE the profile. By far the best I've used in that respect. A little surprised at the heft of the knife, although once I thought about the feel of my old Masamoto, it seems very consistent. It has a very solid feel. It definitely doesn't feel like a knife you have to baby. Late in the week was very prep heavy for a brewer's dinner so I had a good chance to run it through it's paces. Cutting performance is very good. I think that the slightly thicker spine combined with a fairly thin edge enhanced the overall performance in that respect. Edge retention wasn't quite what I hoped it would be, but giving it a quick strop always seemed to bring it right back. It has a very nice patina, which I definitely added to this week. Don was kind enough to allow me to oil the handle and saya to help keep it clean so the handle and saya are a bit darker now, but I actually think that adds to the aesthetic. All said, there's a lot to like about this knife. It has a very cool vibe about it and I'm very glad I had a chance to take it around the block a couple times. Were I to find one at the right price, I'd be very tempted to pick one up.

Unable to reach Wenus2. After consulting with Don, I'm to pass along to Mike9. Mike, if you'd PM me please, I'd appreciate it.
I don't think Mike's on KKF anymore.

You may be right. Although he's checked in within the last month, so he may be lurking, but his PM doesn't seem to be available to me.
I can't believe I'm having so much trouble actually passing a knife along. Usually everyone is chomping at the bit waiting for them. :laugh:
Anyway, I'll give him a couple days to reply.

Whoops, sorry Miles.
My subscription expired and my inbox went to insta-over-full status.

I forgot about this passaround, lol.
Been a long time getting through 9 people!

If its still out and about, I wouldn't mind getting back in the loop. Elsewise, I snoozed I losed.

Knife arrived yesterday. I was just going to write a quick message to Don asking what to do after I finished. Wenus2, you can PM me your address at any time, and I'll send it to you after I've had a chance to play with it. I'll update you and Don when it's on its way.

Don, thanks for sharing this. I don't have any 270 gyutos, and doubt I'd buy one, but it's nice to have a chance to try this one out!

Got it!

Might keep it too, gonna have to send out a search party to get this back Don!

This is one sexy knife, I see why it has made its trip so slowly. Surely nobody wants to send it on.
Came damn sharp too, we'll done Todd.

Can't wait to play with it this week.

Thanks again Don!

EbIl1BfXY1XKlb9zK0-qDb627stLTEa4hk0cLc58phY

This was a cool pass around to be part of. There is (or was)a lot of hype over the Masamoto KS which all made total sense. This knife was a solid performer during the week+ my sous and I had using it. I can't say that anything specific stood out about the knife making it a must get for me. But I must admit that 270 is just too much knife for this guy. That said, the KS 270 certainly came off a lot easier to control on and "off" the board then most I have tried.
I have a Sakai Yusuke in the "KS" flat profile which I absolutely love. I have yet to actually work with a 240 KS, only handle one and admire. But if it performs anything like my Sakai then I would consider it a must have in one's collection, as would most others it appears.

Don, thanks so much for allowing me to partake in this pass around. Very educational for this guy.
Cheers!

Ok Don, what's next for this guy?
I'm gonna use it over the weekend to make a few big meals.
I'll plan to ship Monday.

Thanks for the test drive!

Back