mazaki knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just out of genuine curiosity (I don't have strong opinions about it, although I do like the aesthethics)... why do people think that's a bad thing? Apart from the risk of it getting embraced by a certain mediocre youtuber...

Just out of genuine curiosity (I don't have strong opinions about it, although I do like the aesthethics)... why do people think that's a bad thing? Apart from the risk of it getting embraced by a certain mediocre youtuber...
To me, it looks like he's trying to mashup a KS with Don Nguyen's style, sort of.

The angles and proportions seem off to me. The edge profile looks nice (and with a lot of flat spot like that, a little reminiscent of a Yoshi) and has a low tip relative to the edge (which I like). But the tip relative to the tang is quite high. So, when the flat spot makes contact with the board, it's banana-handle time. With that, it's going to be awkward to do tip work.

Caveat--all this from seeing one pic is speculation...

Or maybe I'm wrong... Here's that Maz at top with a Yoshi Amerikiri below.
The Maz tip looks only a few mm higher...

I dunno. 🤷‍♂️ That new Maz still looks like a weird triangle to me...
🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕🍕

1623201474846.png

1623201487038.png

Last edited:
I am intrigued by the shinogi that rises tipwards, reminds me of the Togashi KU on which I really liked that feature but this is much pointier to begin with and presumably more severely tapered.

Reactions: Pie
Ricky better leave Mazaki alone.

I, uhm... Yeah, not digging this.

View attachment 130446

The fact that they are still available says something - don’t like the shape or handle too much. Decent price though. Weight is a bit better for the 240, but I don’t know. I am more thankful now for the old profile KU I got from CKC a year ago

Yeah as the saying goes... therés no bad products, only bad prices. Crappier finish can be acceptable if the price is low enough (and everything else is good). In the end blade finish is probably one of the last things I care about in a knife, since it's one of the first things I muck up.

That's... not the price I expected when seeing that finish.
A proverb that comes to mind is 'much good work was lost for the lack of a little more'.

Back