Me, my stuff, and I

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cut Brooklyn 240 Prospect in 52100
This thing takes one of the best patina I've experienced. I've actually polished it a couple times just to watch it patina all over again.

20130205_230449_zps6e07705b.jpg
DSC_1353_zps0b84a985.jpg
DSC_1352_zpsfc876cf7.jpg
DSC_1343_zps529bd5e1.jpg
DSC_1342_zps887ab4e3.jpg
DSC_1340_zps47a319c1.jpg
DSC_1338_zpsf3fa3b47.jpg
20130130_141705_zpsa082bd7b.jpg

I really dragged my feet on this one and I regret it. When Jon told me he had one left I thought about it. For over a month. The funny thing is 2 other chef's I worked with had a 240 kiritsuke and 240 gyuto respectively, and I was really impressed by both. Yet for whatever reason I decided to hold off. That was stupid. I mean, just look at this thing!

picsay-1391862908_zpsbed90f3a.jpg
picsay-1391863023_zpscd21af5c.jpg
picsay-1391863155_zps3e8f040d.jpg
picsay-1391863260_zpsccdae111.jpg
picsay-1391863381_zps9938543b.jpg

Nice trio, Marc.
Is that ziricote on the Marco?

Got enough gyutos..... I think we all have that issue tbh. And I bet they all get used ;)

Wow Marc. Amazing collection. I'm curious about the Billip. How does it cut in comparison to your other custom knives?

Nice ! Mark, what is that big integral fillet style knife at the bottom, green handle?

The knife at the bottom is bloodroot blades I think.

The fillet at the bottom is in fact a Bloodroot blade, handle form coffee bean bag. I believe the steel is recycled saw blade.

Funny about the wide angle lens- that's exactly what I used to shoot this with if I recall correctly.

The Billipp is new, so I haven't had too much time with it. I will say this though, hands down one of the best cutters on that table. Obviously a statement like this is relatively subjective, but it has simply blown my mind. Absolutely no sticktion on potatoes (I can small dice using just the tip without holding the potato still w/ my free hand and the slices don't even move or stick), horizontal and dicing strokes on onions are super easy, and zero wedging on carrots. The distal taper is crazy thin along the tip.
I love the imperfect finish along the top portion of the blade, very organic in feel and looks. It doesn't effect function at all, and actually feels smooth when using pinch grip.

I'll chat up some more on the Billipp as well as a few others later. Just want to get some more time to knowthem.

The handle is well balanced, thick and thin in all the right places. A nice taper lens well for pinch grip, and the overall sexy factor is hard to ignore.
The knife as a whole handles amazingly well. Light and nimble when it needs to be, but also instills confidence when chopping through beefier foods.

The Catchside certainly has a dominant feel and presence when using it. The handle alone is big and solid, giving the feel of utter control (of the world). I fondly refer to this knife (in private, just to myself) as my "Excalibur" and firmly believe it deserves such a title
When I got the knife it had a few signs of good use so I mirror polished it to remove any scratches. Thinned/tuned it ever so lightly, then re-etched it. I've followed this knife online since Will's first posted photo of it, so I consider myself fortunate to have it here. And the timing was perfect as I got it as a gift to myself for all the back breaking work and hours I put I'm to opening the new restaurant.

I've spent a little time with it and will say that this knife is a true performance piece. From the d-handle to the grind and profile, Will has his craft honed to Damn near perfection.

Dang nice collection and here I thought my 5 gyuto's was alot lol.

The Billipp is new, so I haven't had too much time with it. I will say this though, hands down one of the best cutters on that table. Obviously a statement like this is relatively subjective, but it has simply blown my mind. Absolutely no sticktion on potatoes (I can small dice using just the tip without holding the potato still w/ my free hand and the slices don't even move or stick), horizontal and dicing strokes on onions are super easy, and zero wedging on carrots. The distal taper is crazy thin along the tip.
I love the imperfect finish along the top portion of the blade, very organic in feel and looks. It doesn't effect function at all, and actually feels smooth when using pinch grip.

I'll chat up some more on the Billipp as well as a few others later. Just want to get some more time to knowthem.

Thanks Marc! I look forward to reading more about it. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it compares with your Catcheside. I'm considering a future custom order and Billipp and Catcheside are both high on the list (although a Catcheside might be a little out of my reach price-wise!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back