mini passaround: tanaka ginsanko 270 gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i recieved the tanaka yesterday,safe and sound. really worked it today, im pretty impressed so far. i want to get more time with it before i go into detail. but i will say this much, its definitely a great knife especially for the price. thanks again panda for doing this pass around.

Np. I was just curious. I am planning on leaving home for a couple weeks, and didn't want it to be sitting in my mailbox for all that time.

Ill be here for it. Should be on the way to me now.... I'm not leaving until next week, after it should get here. I will send it off to the next person b4 I leave.

sun when it gets back can i get a turn with it at work?

of course! it wont get back for a while though, passarounds take forever, even with only a handful of people. i imagine i'm gonna have to do a lot of work to it by the time it's finished.

Got this today. I am liking what I am looking at. Will have it in the mail end of the week. Thx again Panda for the opportunity.

Yes I sent it last Tues. tracking said it was delivered on Fri. Thank you for allowing me to give it a go.

I've got a question about the knife. The description on MetalMaster's website says that it is "Nashiji finished iron and Japanese Ginsanko steel". How reactive is the cladding?

Thanks,

Rick

it felt very 50/50 when i had it. steven did you use it? i seriously recommend picking one up. it will need ootb thinning though.

Na I didn't use it but I might pick one up. I just bought something else but maybe I'll buy one of the Tanakas in a little while when I have a little money again. They only have 1 in stock so I'll probably miss this one. I don't mind thinning at all. They seem like a hell of a bargain

i just got it will report back in a few days, btw who is after me?

So I spent a few shifts with it, I have to say a very different knife but does remind me of shigefusa.

It takes a great edge and the stainless cladding is great, I also love stainless that can preform, over carbon. Edge retention was quite good as well.

I was impressed by a workhorse cutting so well I assume do to the thinning. Really does slice well, but will wedge in large onions. I used this to tackle some huge sweet potatoes and butternut squash did the job well.

The profile is nice and I could see using this knife often if it were in my kit.

I will be passing it out tomorrow or Tuesday.

Back