Misconception about Kitchen Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are confusing this with the term "Soul Food", which is a very different term.

Sorry Doom, I am not confusing the two. Please do not misinterpret what I am saying. I've been in the restaurant game for over 20 years and have worked in the Northeast and the South, I know what soul food is and am pretty well versed in it. What I am speaking of is a very common idiom. For example, "He put his heart and soul into his work." "She put all of her soul into her training" "They put a lot of soul into this food." http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/put+heart+and+soul+into

That being said, I put my heart and soul into everything I do. So weather you guys like it or not my soul is in my works. Be it my writing, my vocals, my food, my carpentry, everything! This is not a misconception. It is a fact. You can not dispute this.

I think all this debating boils down to this:
What you are talking about is basically how someone reacts to their perception. The important thing to remember here is that it is the individual's perception which has formed through their experiences, teachings and environment, that is causing the effect. So there really is no right or wrong, it's just about what touches you based on your perception. Stand in a museum and stare at an abstract piece of art. What does it say to you? What does it say to the person standing next to you? I don't think it's about understanding, I think it's more primal than that. Sometimes understanding dulls the perception since it becomes more cerebral than emotional. And it really doesn't matter at what level you're reacting, it's the reaction that counts. It's not about comparison to others and it's not about standards. It's about each of us being individuals and feelings that dwell deep inside our being.

I think all this debating boils down to this:
What you are talking about is basically how someone reacts to their perception.

Actually it boils down to the common and widely misuse and misunderstanding of the (American) English language. And I am pretty sure any standard dictionary would be on my side.

I am a true victim of this. The moment when I was a credit card swipe away from paying a large sum of my hard earned precious money to purchase a mizu-honyaki that I was clearly not ready for. The expensive knife I purchased as a beginner from a custom maker that turned out to be a grave disappointment. The mid-level gyuto that I passed up on that was steeply discounted because it was a stock knife which I later found out was a great performer and I made a huge mistake. All because of this evil term 'soul'. Of course, this all happened on that other forum....but still. *sniff*

Now I am tortured soul.... :eek2:

I'll say this, going on day 4 of the V-day marathon I won't be feeling so warm and fuzzy when I grab a knife today.

Haven't worked a V-Day weekend in 6 years now. Godspeed men!!

That being said, for an uneducated user, there is no difference. For most people on this site there is, its just not performance based.

I am not sure what you mean by that. Kitchen knives make poor collector items or investments, as people tend to use them (unlike other knife folks) rather than keeping them in a drawer.

So, it's all about performance if you see your knife as a tool, an expensive tool at times, and at the end of the day, a knife should be judged by performance. Just ask the pro folks on this forum.

I think it would be greatly disappointing to spend good money on a knife that doesn't perform, but as you pointed out, some see things others don't. I am of the latter kind.

M

Back