Mizuyama Sharpening Stone Passaround

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week I had the double sided stone. I got the double sided just so I could try both stones out.

When I first got the stone I went and checked out the price to see what category it would fall in to. http://korin.com/Mizuyama-1000-6000-Two-side-Stone?sc=27&category=280108

1k. I soaked the 1k for about 30 min which is about how long it took for the crappy work knives to get up to this stone. The stone was a faster cutter than what I am used to (king) and def. a lot less mud than the king too.
I have used the sigma II 1.2k stone also and that one was more muddy than the Miz.. But the Sigma was a little faster cutting which seems like the trade off. Because of the lack of mud I seemed to be cleaning off the swarf quite a bit.

All in all I did do about 10 knives that day. From crappy work knives to carbon (Shigfusa, Mizuno) to my Globals. I had no problems at all. The stone was a good work horse.

6K. When I soaked the stone I made sure that this part of the stone stayed dry. In fact I only soaked the 1k side to about half way up. The feel of the stone is very soft. Softer than what I am used to in fact I ended up putting a couple gouges that I couldn't get out. I liked the edge it left on all blades. Quite a bit of mud and also would fill up very slow. It wouldn't cut as fast as the 30k but was not bad at all. I found I liked it better than the 1 by a lot. I can see picking this up in a week or two.

Not being much of a whet stone guy I hope I did the review justice.

I tried to contact BurkeCutlery, but he's not responding to my PM so I'm going to pass the stone to the next person for now.

If by chance you read this, please let me know and I'll tell EdipisReks to ship the stone to you next. Thank you!

I just sent the 6k to Cclin the other day. This is a nice stone. It builds a nice slurry fast and it gives great feedback. I like it better than my King 6k and will most likely purchase one after the holidays. I'm not saying the King is a bad stone, but this one feels better to my ear.

the double sided arrived yesterday. i haven't opened the box yet, but i should get some time with it this weekend. looking forward to it!

I'm done with 6k stone. I shipping out to K-fed today!! the stone feel softer than Gesshin 6k, produce good amount of mud, nice feed back....I kinda like it.

hey Mari, i haven't had a chance to use the combo stone at all, due to work and life being crazy this week. would it be okay if i kept the stone for a few days next week? things won't be quite as hectic for me...

i got to use the double-sided stone yesterday. it's really nice! i'll get it packed up once it's fully dry.

Thanks for the pass-around. It was a pleasure to use, and is on its way to Cali.

I recieved the 6k stone a couple of days ago. :)

i liked the 6k side of that combo stone enough to buy the 5k version, earlier this week, which i just received. i used it to refresh the edge on my honyaki gyuto, and it's a great stone! good feedback, and it produces a great edge. not as soft as the 6k, either, which is nice. a good replacement for my Rika, which broke. i'd say, at first blush, that it produces a better edge than the Rika, but it'll take more use to really know for sure.

I have that 5k as well, it was my 2nd stone so I had no ideas about them at all...but I've come to like it quite a bit.

Who is next for the double sided stone?
I only had a chance to sharpen one carbon knife with it, and I felt that it performed quite nicely, fast enough cutting and a pleasant smoothness to the feel. I used it back to back with a Norton combo 1k/4k and it made the Norton feel like sharpening on a cinder block! It gets the job done without drama or discomfort, and I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone looking for a 2 in one stone.

Back