Monosteel workhorses and honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You understand that "springiness" and "damping" are a function of the stiffness of the blade? And stiffness is determined by geometry and material?

What other benefits are you referring to? The ease it provides for maintenance?

I think the continuing use of sanmai in Japan is more about their work practices which developed out of the necessity of using laminates (as we all were 150-200 years ago), and has been retained due a disinclination to change, for whatever reason (I'm sure there are many).

In reality, a laminated blade, whether made from pre-laminated or in-shop laminate, is always going to be more expensive to make than a mono steel blade.

You understand that "springiness" and "damping" are a function of the stiffness of the blade? And stiffness is determined by geometry and material?

What other benefits are you referring to? The ease it provides for maintenance?

You do understand that stiffness isn't everything? Do you also understand that stiffness is Achieved easily in San Mai? Do you understand that what is best for the interior of a blade isn't also necessarily what is best for the exterior? Have you ever thinned a blade in your entire life?

I think the continuing use of sanmai in Japan is more about their work practices which developed out of the necessity of using laminates (as we all were 150-200 years ago), and has been retained due a disinclination to change, for whatever reason (I'm sure there are many).

In reality, a laminated blade, whether made from pre-laminated or in-shop laminate, is always going to be more expensive to make than a mono steel blade.

Lol, yes forshners are cheaper than tojiros.

F**k me whats your problem? How about you articulate your point rather than ranting at me.

Are you trying to say san mai was created for thinning knives? Where is your reference? What suggests this is the case?

You guys should seriously stop, I think this is out of character for this forum and now one is going to "win".

I still have some popcorn left, please continue!!! :popcorn:

As to Laren's comments here, just let me say that it is not impossible for a Ph.D. student to have a slight misconception over basic principles and concepts, and these misconceptions can carry on until that brick wall finally gets hit. My quick google of the matter I'd say is possibly not 100% reliable either. But in empirical terms my own subjective experience seems to indicate that hardened steels resist bending more so than when annealed. Same subjective experience when comparing full hard 7075 aluminum (right around 100K psi tensile by my actual testing) to full hard 6061 (less than 60K psi tensile), all with my associate's insistence of no resistance to bending difference by his understanding of YM.
http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/s.../post/1479073/hl/bucket/fromsearch/1/#1479073

Welcome back Larrin... maybe I can stop quoting and posting to your past posts now.

Back