Most used knives - then vs now

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2000: Dexter Cleaver for almost everything
2012: Sugimoto No 6 Cleaver for almost everything
2024: I love bouncing around from cleaver to cleaver and knife to knife. No clear winner, too much good stuff to settle on one thing too much

So many responses, not a single picture! 😭 Lmao
Couple old af pics from my 2011 kit

(Edit - and a few even older)
1710819034900.png

1710818359949.png
1710818133687.png

1710819141365.png

Last edited:
Shun 8" for a while
20201231_143721.jpg

Shindo 170 nakiri for a few years
20220728_181957.jpg

In the past year it's been Munetoshi 240 but the Okubo 250 is now becoming the knife I reach for most often. They're both just no fuss, reassuringly sturdy WH that I don't have to think about at all and can leave wet on the board for a bit without issue (looking at you, Mazaki)

20221208_160630.jpg

20231202_155109.jpg

Last edited:
My first set of “most used” were the first two I bought: wonderful carbon steel Sabatier: a 10 inch Chefs and a paring knife. Now it is a Yu Kurosawa 240 gyuto and a Meglio paring knife. A couple bunkas sneak in there too.

After my mom's old 8" Wustoff, I moved on to these, starting with the Goko. I really learned on the Misono, which is still probably the knife I feel most comfortable with. Given that we're still in ARM, I've been using a Kanehiro 165 Nakiri mostly this month, but, before that, it had been out of the rotation for awhile.

First4.jpg

In my first decent solo apartment in 1975, I picked from Madame Toguri's Gift Shop a 7" Mac slicer, which I still enjoy using. Then my brother presented me with a Chicago Cutlery pile of crap for our wedding. Then a Henckels 8" chef, a Wusty Classic 10" chef and 6" boner. A bunch of other interlopers, until I saw a picture of a Hattori KD petty at Wineberserkers in 2014.

Now, at present (LOL), I rotate between 6 J's and one western— the first J, a Zakuri 210 KU AS, being the first choice, mostly sentimental, I think.

After my mom's old 8" Wustoff, I moved on to these, starting with the Goko. I really learned on the Misono, which is still probably the knife I feel most comfortable with. Given that we're still in ARM, I've been using a Kanehiro 165 Nakiri mostly this month, but, before that, it had been out of the rotation for awhile.

View attachment 309256
dragon, good Ole j-french

Mine was so far back 10" Rosewood handle Forschner $9.00. Nice 8" slicers from Japan bought from Longs drugstore $4.00. Sharpened both on King stones.

Now Yoshikane SKD gyuto
Numerous other most used Bradford magnacut, 6" Carter ku carbon, 10" carbon olive K-Sabatier.

The little guys that we both use all been on mag block over 10 years. Both made handles for knew they were keepers. Carter was first knife bought off BST 2012. White steel pointy petty off Japanwoodworker same as my first 240 Yoshikane SKD before knife forum. Used the petty & Yoshi at work.

I used to Kasumi the petty to make it look nice wore off the ku finish doing that on such a small blade. Now don't care if it looks funky as long as it's sharp.
The Mac paring knife is vintage.
20240320_200458.jpg

The progression:
1) $40-60 knife

2) Wusthof Icon Classic

3) Yoshikane + kurosaki

4)Various Y Tanaka blues (migoto, kyuzo, first gen hado damascus)

5) Hyde, Merion, & a few other westerns

6) Kamon + JB + prior mentioned Westerns, no more Japanese knives

7) Xerxes, Kamon, Milan, Bidinger, and other western makers

I've slowly transitioned to essentially all Western makers
ive walked this journey with you. slow is not the right word

Cheap IKEA knife > Wüsthof Classic > Miyabi Birchwood gyuto 240mm > Yu Kurosaki Raijin 165mm bunka + Makoto Sakura 135mm petty > Shiro Kamo AS 165mm tall nakiri > Hado B1D 240mm gyuto

This has been my short but very fun journey as a student on a budget over the last two years but once I'm a teacher there will be many more hopefully haha

~ 2014 Ryusen VG10 santoku/rando j knives
2017 denka/mazaki
Present day - Takeda/shinkiro 210/togashi bunka. Chunka, really.

It’s only been 10 years? … holy crap it’s been 10 years!

Not much comes through my hands i guess.. whatever does gets tinkered with and polished a lot tho.

Gotta say thanks kkf for playing the enabler.. knifewear only carries so much, and trips to Japan are few and far between.

In 2013 or so my most used knife was a Shun Classic 5.5-inch Santoku (which I still have and use frequently out of my countertop knife block)
In 2024, my most used knife is a TF Denka Gyuto 210 with a Joe Bone ironwood handle.

Back