Moving out from parents, need new knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna recommend something different, especially since you mentioned matching sets. Take a look thebestthings.com and check out the Sabs. They have nice stainless options, as well as carbon. Great knives with a good reputation (the elephant ones at least.) many here don't like the finger guards, but if your open to the option, they are worth a look. I'm surprised many here don't recommend them more. It's hard I go someone who uses one of their chefs that doesn't love it. I love mine(9",) and has become my goto line knife after my cleaver

I'm gonna recommend something different, especially since you mentioned matching sets. Take a look thebestthings.com and check out the Sabs. They have nice stainless options, as well as carbon. Great knives with a good reputation (the elephant ones at least.) many here don't like the finger guards, but if your open to the option, they are worth a look. I'm surprised many here don't recommend them more. It's hard I go someone who uses one of their chefs that doesn't love it. I love mine(9",) and has become my goto line knife after my cleaver

I love the nogent line myself, though kfed just posted in another thread about a change in geometry for the chef knife...stainless will have the same profile, but they are not necessarily known for having a very good stainless steel.

Their stainless isn't he best, but their carbon knives are great.

@OP, maybe I missed the comment or not, but are you set on stainless?

I love the nogent line myself, though kfed just posted in another thread about a change in geometry for the chef knife...stainless will have the same profile, but they are not necessarily known for having a very good stainless steel.

About the stainless: that's a very nice way to put it. French public is used to steel a lot. The steel is soft, very soft.

I also like the recommendations here, but I'd sooner get the Fujiwaras from JCK. you could then get (I'm going to say it) the Artifex parer, which I have considered ordering, purely out of curiosity. They come in CPM154 and S35VN, and both are great steels when HT'd properly. I'm not sure what their HT is like on these, but on a paring knife, you don't need to worry quite as much and I think even a decent to good HT would produce good results for a parer. Plus, I like the size and profile.

If you have a Lee Valley nearby, they have the king 1/6k combo stone for cheap, and then you pair that with a Fuji Gyuto, Artifex parer, and ITK bread knife (I never use a bread knife, but hey...), and you're good to go!

Well, I'll add my two cents about the bread knife: I honestly still struggle to understand why someone on a limited budget would invest a lot of money on one of those.they will probably never see a stone (unless you really are pervert :p ) so just get a victorinox for 30ish bucks, it will serve magnificently and when it will get dull (many years in a home enviro) just get another one! :)

My two cents. I love my Tojiro bread knife but I see ChiliPepper's point. There are some good offset bread knives for cheap and unless you use that knife a lot it should last a long time, or at least until you catch the knife addiction...

from a Lurker Extraordinaire

I want to grab Tojiro DP bread knife because we eat a lot of bread at our house and I also ake my own once in a while. So it's not like I'm getting a knife for once every two weeks, but pretty much few times a week.
Also I want my knives to match, yes I said it :) I want them to match, maybe it does not make sense for some people out there but I'm just that way, it would irritate me to have a knife from different set.

Why does everyone keep linking Tojiro ITK ? No love for the DP series ?

More like tons of love for the ITK. You should trust the suggestions of the people here, they really know what they are talking about. I will say, you will be happier not choosing knives because they match, but choose each knife for it's own merit.

Also I want my knives to match, yes I said it :) I want them to match, maybe it does not make sense for some people out there but I'm just that way, it would irritate me to have a knife from different set.

Well, that settles it, I guess :)

the tojiro itk is a wonderful bread knife, for right handers. as for us lefties, there have been issues of steering with them from what i've read. some people suggest the mac bread knife if you're a lefty.

Why does everyone keep linking Tojiro ITK ? No love for the DP series ?

I like that the ITK is longer and I prefer the sweeping up curved profile of the ITK blade better. The DP is nice though.

Isn't the Tojiro DP bread knife also tiny? I remember it seemed useless to me when I saw it when I was browsing around...

You might look into Mac Superior or one of the Misono lines that also has a bread knife if a completely matching set is the only way to go. A 210mm bread knife like the DP just seems silly to me. I'd rather have a longer knife for any style that's meant to slice.

itk is way better because of the scalloped teeth as well. makes less mess (crumbs) and does not tear the bread too much. too bad it's not lefty friendly. steers for some lefties as i've read online.

Ok, this bread knife talk is getting out of hand. I almost NEVER use a bread knife. I don't get why everyone wants one, unless you are dealing with very crusty bread, daily. Mine is who knows what, made by who knows who.

Ok, this bread knife talk is getting out of hand. I almost NEVER use a bread knife. I don't get why everyone wants one, unless you are dealing with very crusty bread, daily. Mine is who knows what, made by who knows who.

:rofl2:

I'm finding that my cheap Chinese cleaver makes a good bread knife.

Maybe I baby my knives too much, but I don't like the idea of using a razor sharp gyuto on a crusty loaf of bread.

Why not use a bread knife?

On rolls, and crusty loaves, I use my Kiwi Nakiri and it slices clean through, with minimal crumb throwing. For anything else, I just use whatever is in reach. I love knives far too much, but a fancy bread knife is like getting a custom butter knife made, or a pimped out handle on a carpet knife. Then again, I'm opinionated the day after a shift. Haha. Regardless, I don't get it!

I just find that a good bread knife cuts bread nicer and more easily than even a well sharpened "regular" knife. And it's not that expensive (for us, not for people used to $5 knives).

You're likely right, all of you! But, I'm still not in the bread knife camp :)

Well, I'll add my two cents about the bread knife: I honestly still struggle to understand why someone on a limited budget would invest a lot of money on one of those.they will probably never see a stone (unless you really are pervert :p ) so just get a victorinox for 30ish bucks, it will serve magnificently and when it will get dull (many years in a home enviro) just get another one! :)

I'm finding that my cheap Chinese cleaver makes a good bread knife.

Done, done and done. Get a cheapie. You'll use it a few times a yearish. Put $ towards other knives.

I'll never understand why there is no love for the bread knife. Well, maybe except for the fact that there is so little edible bread in the US and bread that can be squeezed together to the size of an egg can also be cut with any kind of knife. I wouldn't know what do do without a bread knife. It's the same logic as saying you don't need a slicer because a gyuto can do that also. Why buy a honesuki if you have a petty? Clearly, a petty and a gyuto can do everything, but where is the fun in that? What I would expect from a group like ours is that everyone needs at least 3 different types of bread knives - just look at the different types of serrations out there, maybe the Guede serrations are better for country bread and the Tjiro serrations are better for cakes?

Stefan

Back