Moving out from parents, need new knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Stefan. A good bread knife still cuts bread much better than a well sharpened straight edge knife IME. And I also love my honesuki, even though some say you can do all the same with a petty. There's no way a petty would like some of the things I've done with a honesuki.

It's not like a $60 knife is expensive by any of our standards. Since when did people willing to pay $500 for a gyuto start thinking an amazing $60 knife is expensive? And why in the world would you buy a $30 knife just to add to some landfill? One Tojiro ITK will likely last and in the end be much more economical.

My two cents...

Bread knives are the mopeds of the knife world. :D

Ok, this bread knife talk is getting out of hand. I almost NEVER use a bread knife. I don't get why everyone wants one, unless you are dealing with very crusty bread, daily. Mine is who knows what, made by who knows who.

I have been baking the "no knead bread" about 4 times a week lately and it's very crusty and hard to deal with even with a good bread knife, let alone who knows what by who knows who. ;) The crust really seems to grab the knife. If fact it was this very topic regading the "no knead bread" and how difficult it was to cut on the site we won't mention that got me interested in baking the awesomness that is "no knead bread".

noknead.jpg

Nice looking bread! You know, royalty used to only break bread with their hands, and in some places that tradition still exists. That stuff looks like it was made go be torn apart.

Thanks. Even after baking this bread quite a few times I am amazed at how nice it comes out with such little effort. Everytime too, almost like I couldn't screw it up if I tried. :cool:

Where's the recipe for that? It really does look great!

Nope:D Saving my money for some Loco Moco, and my custom uke.

Dang, now I am hungry again... :)

I have been baking the "no knead bread" about 4 times a week lately and it's very crusty and hard to deal with even with a good bread knife, let alone who knows what by who knows who. ;) The crust really seems to grab the knife. If fact it was this very topic regading the "no knead bread" and how difficult it was to cut on the site we won't mention that got me interested in baking the awesomness that is "no knead bread".

Best thing I discovered in the past few years, just started the dough for tomorrow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

That's the basic recipe. I replace part of the flour with whole wheat and rye flour, so mine gets even darker, crunchier and chewier. Glad I have my trusty Guede bread sword.

Stefan

Head over to breadtopia and look at his recipe. I use this occasionally when I take a break from sourdough, and his advise is the best I have seen on the no knead trend. I will sometimes experiment with different flours too, like 2 1/2 cup bread and 1/2 stone ground wheat, with a little flaxseeds or wheat germ added to the grain bill, maybe even a little tea in place of a 1/3 of water at times. Very useful for when you want bread, but are having a lazy streak. I would add 1/3 of flour to the recipie though to make it a little easier to handle, and a tad tighter crumb for sandwiches.

Dang, now I am hungry again... :)

Best thing I discovered in the past few years, just started the dough for tomorrow.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

That's the basic recipe. I replace part of the flour with whole wheat and rye flour, so mine gets even darker, crunchier and chewier. Glad I have my trusty Guede bread sword.

Stefan

Thanks bookmarked the recipe. Guede you lucky guy.

Back