musings of a deranged polisher

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Inspired largely by the brilliant WIP thread by @Blank Blades. I enjoy following, but also an in depth geometry PM convo I have with a friend and a couple requests, I’ve decided to start my own little WIP thread. I’ll be journaling some projects, probably go on a few neurotic rants, and generally just be giving myself a space to get my jumbled notes and thoughts down for my own future reference.

I will start with capturing what’s been my most intense set of grinding work to date. With help from a friend and very generous collector, I was able to purchase this knife, something that’d been on my list for awhile. To put it mildly, this was one of the worse grinds I’ve seen on a premium knife in my time. There were multiple significant over grinds in the middle of the blade, inconsistent hollow grinding on the wide bevel, and unacceptable thickness at the “shinogi” above the heel. Together, the result is a grind that performs poorly and is impossible to maintain. Those reasons alone are significant enough to warrant a regrind in my book, but this blade, being made with scarce togo steel and the highly figured iron Tanaka uses for that steel, deserves a proper kasumi finish as well I think.

This before video hints at the extent of the problem following the blade’s first introduction to stones.

There was, sadly, insufficient material in many places to form the angle separation necessary to maintain a clean shinogi (at least without sacrificing very significant height). Therefore, I decided a convex regrind was the best option. Because of the hollow bevels, low spots, etc. and also my preference for asymmetric grinds, I ended up ended up on settling for something right hand biased. The final goal is geometry fully set and then polished on bench stones.

I started by using a small rotary water wheel to blow out the excess material at the shinogi. After some bulk removal, I switch to bench stones to complete the grinding work. I started by working the blade distally to even out the surface and establish the rough shape of the new grind. Just as the shoulder was wider than the spine with the original grind, the widest part of the blade remains below the spine now. It would be fair to describe the grind as walkschliff - the thickest material being below the spine and more defined convexity towards the heel with flatter geometry towards the tip. The left side is flatter, though still convex, while the right side maintained a bit more heft. Overall the blade is still over 4mm thick coming out of the handle and tapers linearly down to well under 1mm towards the tip.
1CD693C9-A091-4566-952B-EDEA2EC6E6B1.jpeg

I found this image from my perpendicular grinding informative. There are three primary angles the blade is ground out: 1) the angle from the spine down to the thickest part of the blade, 2) the transition point where the primary bevel is established, & 3) the final primary angle(s) into the edge. For angle of attack (3), the angle is relatively constant from the heel through the flatter area and you see, due to the taper of the blade, the transition between (2) and (3) lower dramatically as you move towards the tip. As the blade starts to curve towards the tip, I dramatically reduced the angle of attack to create a more acute geometry and lasery tip. The visual trick of a “bulge” in the middle of the blade has been observed before and dubbed, in enlightened circles, the “Kato potato.”

Once the distal surface was evened out, I switched to working perpendicular to the edge and blended everything together - fully eliminating localized high spots and creating an even surface edge to spine. I then followed up with a 45* angle to further blend in the grind and make sure everything was nicely evened out. I repeated this three directional pattern (0*, 90*, 45*) at 400 grit as well. 17g and who knows how many hours later, I am left with a blade that has the geometry fully set on hard bench stones and is ready for subsequent polishing, also on bench stones. By this point, I have also rounded and polished the choil and spine. This is the blade after 400 grit.

All in all, I’m very happy with how this grind turned out. It had great rigidity for a lightweight blade, a good mix of separation and release, and an edge geometry that is both high performing (yes, it very much nail flexes) and robust feeling. Overall, the blade did loose a little over a mm of height and about as much in length, but generally I think the dimensions were well preserved. I’ve altered existing grinds before, but always stayed within the boundaries of the makers intent. This is my first time treating a blade as a glorified blank and, while painful, I’m glad I crossed that bridge.

Last edited:
View attachment 295123
1500 grit done tonight, the banding in the clad has started to show up
I never knew tanaka did different kinds of iron cladding, this makes sense, I noticed banding on my togo FM, and I was wondering if it was just good polishing by myojin to bring it out. After I polished an AS tanaka I had, banding also popped. Guess he just uses the good stuff for the fun steels

I never knew tanaka did different kinds of iron cladding, this makes sense, I noticed banding on my togo FM, and I was wondering if it was just good polishing by myojin to bring it out. After I polished an AS tanaka I had, banding also popped. Guess he just uses the good stuff for the fun steels
I can’t say for certain he does, but I don’t know of an iron clad Togo that doesn’t show banding under polish. I also see it on his double bevel AS work often.

Oh yeah, and I’ve used it - of course. Big batch of mirepoix between 1.5k and 3k so not much should have change with the grind. I’m pleased with the grind. Definitely not suitable for lefties, but doesn’t steer much. Feels stiff while cutting thanks to the relatively thick spine but the cut feel is rather lasery. Release is as good or better as other thin convex stuff I've tried - no Takeda or Raquin alternative though. Tip is very very thin. The steel is crazy hard, so I ended up choosing to add a little extra convexity into the edge. Didn’t microchip, but made little tinging noises sometimes that made it seem like it was thinking about chipping. Maybe lost 1-2% of pure cutting bliss but gained 95% more confidence in edge stability.

Last edited:
Went to bed thinking I’d maybe finished this one, but with some more inspection I want to spend some more time on it tomorrow. The natural stone mirror on the core is coming along really nicely, tons of fine banding in the core. Need to do more work smoothing out the cladding though.

Close though.

Already looking awesome from this side of the screen. :)

One question for you, what's the technique for polishing convex bevels? (The choil shot looks somewhat convex) I understand low and high spots should be removed to ensure even finish, but it seems like if bevel is convex then you cannot lay the knife perfectly flat on the stone which in my mind would causing uneven scratches. Is some subtle rotating technique/finger stone/thinning to flat needed to achieve this?

Already looking awesome from this side of the screen. :)

One question for you, what's the technique for polishing convex bevels? (The choil shot looks somewhat convex) I understand low and high spots should be removed to ensure even finish, but it seems like if bevel is convex then you cannot lay the knife perfectly flat on the stone which in my mind would causing uneven scratches. Is some subtle rotating technique/finger stone/thinning to flat needed to achieve this?
It’s quite convex, you can see the way the light bends in the reflections in one of the first posts on this thread - I always avoid flat grinds unless it’s a very low bevel like Takeda. You’re right it can cause some issues with uneven finishing, but with enough patience and practice you can get very clean results off bench stones on a convex surface without finger stones. Easier with softer less fine stones and smaller surface area.

with enough patience and practice you can get very clean results off bench stones on a convex surface without finger stones
I guess I need more patience and practice. I always seem to have some burnished lines in my convex polishing on bench stones that need to be smoothed out with fingerstones/stone powder.

I guess I need more patience and practice. I always seem to have some burnished lines in my convex polishing on bench stones that need to be smoothed out with fingerstones/stone powder.
I find I have to be really mindful about pressure in more convex areas - ease up in those places dramatically and be super smooth and work small areas at a time. And sometimes you still need finger-stones to blend it all - I used them here for sure. Really curvy tips on single bevels also I find I need finger stones to get an even finish.

It’s quite convex, you can see the way the light bends in the reflections in one of the first posts on this thread - I always avoid flat grinds unless it’s a very low bevel like Takeda. You’re right it can cause some issues with uneven finishing, but with enough patience and practice you can get very clean results off bench stones on a convex surface without finger stones. Easier with softer less fine stones and smaller surface area.
Thank you for the tips! Guess it's just a learning process, definitely good to know it's doable

This was a great project, though painful at times. Learned a lot about convex geometry and a lot about the limitations of wide bevel stuff like Tanaka x Kyuzo. Managing taper, convexity, asymmetry, etc in a relatively compact and lightweight package definitely was a learning experience. Polishing this much surface area was really a PITA also and pushed me to keep getting better at managing pressure and slurry while working differing directions.

Really glad my next several projects are all low bevel KU stuff 😅

Something for the queue to get ready for ARM
View attachment 297454
View attachment 297455
Nakiri by Mosaku (も作) - a famed tool smith
So @refcast put me onto this lovely little nakiri a couple weeks ago. Was on the J-auction site. I was looking for a wrought clad nakiri for myself anyway so decided to go for it. Ended up paying Western smith prices, but I think what I got was worth it.

も作, Mosuka, is a well regarded tool smith who made a variety of carpentry, gardening, and other tools in a wide variety of steels. His artsy kanna command very high prices. After posting this blade to my IG I got a surprising number of DMs from tool-nerds - I never realized how many Japanese carpenters follow me there haha. One knowledgable person thought it might be a niche flower arranging or weaving tool rather than a nakiri proper, but didn’t know. I hope to reach out to Mosuka himself soon and see if I can learn more about the blade. It’s made with dirty wrought iron cladding - very reminiscent of kanna iron - and an unknown core steel. I can’t tell if it is warikomi or san mai. Interestingly, the tang appears to be welded on stainless - a practical touch. The shape of the tang is… interesting. Clearly not a knife smith haha

Coming in at a hefty 220g, I was admittedly worried that I was buying an axe. But, the oversized handle, which is reminiscent of that from a saw, clocked in at near 60g, meaning I had a 180g blade for a 161x60 nakiri - not toooooo bad. The heel is fairly thick, but the taper is quite good and the tip is thinner and quite usable.

Since the edge came pretty dinged up and with some rust in the iron, it’ll need a cleanup before use. Don’t have any major tweaks in mind for this blade - remove chips & rust, polish bevels, put on a more traditionally sized handle (saving the unique current handle of course), and sharpening. Should be a pretty quick process. I'm guessing an hour or so getting chips and rust out along with evening out the geometry for further polishing. From there probably another 2 hours in synthetic polishing.

The first & second thing I do with any new blade is check the straightness a the edge. It is impossible to check straightness too much. Clad blades move over time and most aren’t shipped straight to begin with in my experience - this includes very high end Western and Japanese knives. This blade was, shockingly, dead straight both at the edge and the spine. Furthermore, the bevels are quite even as well. I think this knife saw at least some amount of bench stone work at some point. The iron is soft as hell. Softest I’ve used. Any stroke leads to rapid material removal. Both a blessing and curse as it makes work go fast but also means that mistakes happen faster. Usually tool smith knives like this come with serious “wabi-sabi.” Warped blades, recurves, unusual geometry, wonky grinds, etc. are the norm. This one is an exception. Broadly, all of this points to a project that should go quickly.

First challenge is up. There is some inconsistency in the geometry showing up at the shinogi. Either was forged a little unevenly or ground a little warped, I can’t say which. On the left face, there is an area where the shinogi dips slightly which lines up with a higher area of shinogi on the right side.
IMG_9113.jpeg
IMG_9112.jpeg

Not a big deal, but it is very very easy to over-abrade the soft shinogi on the right side making the small wave much worse. I check the edge again and it’s nearly perfectly straight, just needs a small tweak which happens when you do rough grinding as the tension in the blade releases and shifts. Just must be careful to not work the area with hazy shinogi focusing on the tip and heel part of the blade until that area is no longer a low spot. Not challenging and easily resolved, but applying pressure on coarse stones while that area is still hazy would be a disaster.

Finished with 200 grit. Probably stopping for the night.
IMG_9116.jpeg
IMG_9115.jpeg

The prior low spot on the shinogi on the right is now pretty crisp. I’ll get it dialed in at 400 grit which is where I like to finesse geometry. I elected to leave the over grit at the tip-shinogi on the left face and the low spot at the heel-edge on the right side. Neither area is worth chasing and will come out over a long time.

At the next step I’ll have a few major goals - 1) finalizing geometry, 2) adding back in some convexity I removed while grinding, 3) getting the shinogi totally crispy, & 4) making sure the edge stays straight.

This is probably 2/3 of the heavy work done. Should be smoother sailing from here.

While I don’t have any tip curvature to worry about, the angle along the bevel changes like crazy. Little more than twice as steep at the tip as at the heel as the shinogi is only half the thickness. The angle changes dramatically from the heel up distally 1/3 of the length of the blade and then is more gradual. Getting an even finish and grind in the heel side is gonna be tough.

Been a few weeks since I've had any energy for this type of sharpening work, so just circling back to this one.

After some further work, it's pretty clear to me that this blade was ground with a little warp in place. While the edge and spine were dead straight and the bevels fairly even when I unboxed it, the more I worked the bevels the more unevenness became apparent. Nothing crazy, but something I would've caught earlier if I'd spent a bit of time with a straight edge examining the hira and shinogi before starting rather than just eye balling it.

The pitting at the edge, particularly at the heel, was also worse than I gave it credit for, I had to shave through a decent bit of material to get to something stable.

Then there was the grind, which is deceptively complex. Looking at the choil, you'd be forgiven for assuming this is actually an axe, not a nakiri. But at the "tip" its rather thin and lasery. So dramatic is the distal taper, the overall grind angle at the tip is more than twice as acute than at the very heel. The majority of that change occurs in the first 60mm of the knife as the grind rapidly thins out. That's a lot of transition to manage in a very short length of blade. I've "finished" at 400 grit only to find I wasn't happy with the shape of that transition at 1500 grit twice now. Here I am again halfway between 200 and 400 grit...

Shaping can be tedious, frustrating work. And it involves synthetics, which are never as fun as naturals. But the more I do it, the more I start to understand it, and the better I get at it the more I relish it. This is the foundation work that not only makes the natural stone polishing easy and enjoyable, but also leads to some really excellently performing knives.

Back