My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never tried to force patina on my knifes on til now :)

My suji honyaki white steel

IMGP3623.JPG

IMGP3621.JPG

IMGP3619.JPG

That's the best looking forced patina I've ever seen... most of them come out looking artificial, but I like how yours looks very natural. How'd you do it?

That's the best looking forced patina I've ever seen... most of them come out looking artificial, but I like how yours looks very natural. How'd you do it?

yeah. i want to know to :) looks really good

Not sure I can top any of those photos, but here is a close up of my poor little Fujiwara.

Fujiwaracloseup-1.jpg

Mustard and oxalic acid :) it seems to give black patina like KU i like it a lot

Maxim and EdipisReks, what did you guys use to apply your mustard (or whatever you used) to get that pattern? It looks really cool to me and I may try it out myself.

Maxim and EdipisReks, what did you guys use to apply your mustard (or whatever you used) to get that pattern? It looks really cool to me and I may try it out myself.

i used a crumpled up paper towel and then my fingers.

i used a crumpled up paper towel and then my fingers.

I'll have to look through the thread, again, but did you already say what you used for the patina? Thanks for the tip. That patina looks great!

Edit: found it. So you applied some vinegar first and let it sit before adding mustard? I'm not totally clear on the process of how one does this (newb here :smile1: )

Edit: found it. So you applied some vinegar first and let it sit before adding mustard? I'm not totally clear on the process of how one does this (newb here :smile1: )

yeah, basically that's how i did it. vinegar for a while, then daubed mustard.

Ohh yes and i did it 2 or 3 times 20 min at the time, for every time i did this, i washed knife with very hot water

same here, pretty much. great minds things a like. or fools seldom differ. either way. :)

Sorry to be dense, but I have one more question. Do you guys rinse off the vinegar/acid before adding mustard? I may try this myself on a crappy knife first just to see what happens.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it out soon.

after seeing how nice the mostly natural patina on the Muzno looks, i decided to start over on the Konosuke. i removed most of the patina using flitz, leaving what i think is a nice look.

How's that Butch nakiri working out for you Rick?

Really liking it, Dave. It changed my mind about nakiris. I don't know if it was the thinness of the blade or the profile (it's flatter than most nakiris), but it just cuts like a dream. It's become my "go to" when I have veggies to prep.

Butch, if you're reading this, thanks for making such a great knife!

Really liking it, Dave. It changed my mind about nakiris. I don't know if it was the thinness of the blade or the profile (it's flatter than most nakiris), but it just cuts like a dream. It's become my "go to" when I have veggies to prep.

Butch, if you're reading this, thanks for making such a great knife!

Excellent to hear! :)

Below are some pics of me taking a fujiwara fkh 240mm gyuto from new to patina. I did wash the knife very well with hot soap/water and then acetone and soap/water again, then acetone wipe before using mustard. Drying in between of course with paper towels.

After cleaning the knife, I sliced some potatoes (edge is poor now was fair ootb barely shaving hair and 90/10 bevels) and rubbed the blade with them with no residue. After this I washed with soap/water and dried, then rubbed lightly with my fingers some baking soda on the blade, then washed and dried. After I took a magic eraser and cleaned up the "stainless" bolsters which had a tiny bit of mustard on them and stained. I still need a little more work there but that will take 20 minutes to do properly with some wet-dry.

Overall I think a fair job, I will cut protein tonight and do more pics later...

New

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa001.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa002.jpg

Mustard

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa006.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa006.jpg

After mustard

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa009.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa008.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa007.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa010.jpg

After bak. soda

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa011.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa012.jpg

Old sabatier rough cigar box rehandle

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa014.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa015.jpg

fkh240mmFujiwaraKanefusa016.jpg

Love to hear what you think and any tips/suggestions...

Great forum!

JC

Might be a little off topic but has anyone ever etched a solid blade just to get that super dark color you get from etching?

Might be a little off topic but has anyone ever etched a solid blade just to get that super dark color you get from etching?

I've read of it being done but never seen it. If anyone has pictures I'm very interested!

i ended up refinishing my Shig this past Friday, due to a nasty scratch caused by grit hiding in an onion (normally nicks and scratches don't get to me, but it was ugly), so my existing patina disappeared. i started it with some mustard blotches, mostly to not get ugly brown onion imprints, as an onion was the first thing i cut, and then i let it do whatever it wanted. i think it looks pretty nice, so far!

i have etched my Hattori FH, but i've polished it back to normal. i etched it to get rid of ugly scratches. it didn't look very nice, immediately post etch.

not really what most people have....this is the handle on a slicer i have....ryan

In Yiddish we call that ungapatchka -- meaning so overly ornate that it is ugly and I wouldn't dare own it and if I did it would indicate my truly horrendous bad taste, but I would give it away as a gift to get rid of it.

All that in one word. Yiddish can be a great language.....

Back