My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Yiddish we call that ungapatchka -- meaning so overly ornate that it is ugly and I wouldn't dare own it and if I did it would indicate my truly horrendous bad taste, but I would give it away as a gift to get rid of it.

All that in one word. Yiddish can be a great language.....

Apparently my Yiddish is not up to the standards of some on this board. Except for when I "shlep" across town to visit my "bubbe" who proceeds to offer me "nosh", while we sit there and "shmooze" and "kvetch" over all the "chutzpah" of the young generations. While reminding me that if I act like a "schmuk" she'll hit my "tuchus". "Oy vey" what a life.

I wish i knew how to upload pics from my desktop on here, i have a few good pics of my konosuke patina.

Ok thanks for the tip. Will hopefully get them up later on.

Mike

5961579020_24e2541d1b_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you copy the URL from your address bar, the photo wont embed properly. You need to right click and copy the picture's url directly. Flickr might also have embed/sharing link options, but I don't use it so I am not familiar with it. You want the simplest, direct link with no code, and then just click the picture icon here.

Nice lookin patina.

If you copy the URL from your address bar, the photo wont embed properly. You need to right click and copy the picture's url directly. Flickr might also have embed/sharing link options, but I don't use it so I am not familiar with it. You want the simplest, direct link with no code, and then just click the picture icon here.

Nice lookin patina.

Thanks for the help!

Apparently my Yiddish is not up to the standards of some on this board. Except for when I "shlep" across town to visit my "bubbe" who proceeds to offer me "nosh", while we sit there and "shmooze" and "kvetch" over all the "chutzpah" of the young generations. While reminding me that if I act like a "schmuk" she'll hit my "tuchus". "Oy vey" what a life.

You must live close to Bloor, or the Beaches! :)

You must live close to Bloor, or the Beaches! :)

Spot on sir spot on.

I may be at work, but my butt is currently on a chair 8 stories up on Bloor Street.

Hope your enjoying 50 degree weather!

Here is my first forced patina on my first kitchen knife.
2011-07-20_13-54-34_438.jpg

Thanks
Mike

I like the second photo JohnnyChance. On all my knives though my thumbprint is the only blue bit left. The patina on my knives suck, any artistic pattern I put on never lasts

I will take a pick of the fowler again. The blade is almost entirely dark grey now.

So does anyone know which if any of the fluids used to force a patina should not be used on kitchen knives because they leave a metallic taste?

Mario I think that is the best version of your finger cutout I have seen to date.

Wow, This is a cool thread.

Mom dropped by today and to my surprise, She brought a pineapple upside down cake fresh out of the oven and to cook us lunch. Shes making us a middle eastern dish. Stuffed grape leaves and tabbouleh, (im sure I spelled that wrong) She brought her knife and I managed to get a few good pics. Its building a beautiful patina!

patinaonHHHChefknife023.jpg
patinaonHHHChefknife020.jpg
patinaonHHHChefknife010-1.jpg

patinaonHHHChefknife002.jpg

Cant wait till my daughter gets her new camera, my cell doesn't get the job done :(

I haven't removed the patina from my Hiromoto HC ever and have enjoyed watching it grow with use. See what another 7 years can do to it :)

6051680530_e845e94095_b.jpg
Some unknown knifemaker sold me this thing, it keeps turning funny colors when I cut with it, should I throw it away?:shocked3: Can someone help me read the Kanji on the blade? :scratchhead:

6051680530_e845e94095_b.jpg
Some unknown knifemaker sold me this thing, it keeps turning funny colors when I cut with it, should I throw it away?:shocked3: Can someone help me read the Kanji on the blade? :scratchhead:

can't make it all out but I think the first word is "monkey" and that other character must mean grinder.
so it's made by a "grinder monkey" ;-)

just a little forged blade vs. stock removal humor. nothing to see here, move along

(btw: looks GREAT Dave)

Back