My Goings On

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see ya here brother Etzler.

Hoss

I can't believe that I have a son that is 30 years old. Larrin turned 30 today and I feel like I've reached a milestone somehow. Jackie and I married young when I was 21 and we celebrated our 31st anniversary recently. We have raised 6 kids, 3 boys and 3 girls.(not in that order) Three of the kids are married and there are 7 grandkids, 6 granddaughters.

Our youngest graduated from high school this year and she just left for college. We are now empty nesters. Our oldest daughter, her husband and two kids live here in Panaca which is nice. Our youngest son is serving a proselyting
mission in Florida and will be home in November. Three of our children are in college.

Pics are me and my youngest, me and the newest granddaughter, and Larrin a couple of years ago the day of his defence.

Hoss

11995737_10206562407411894_8513788954023831144_n.jpg

IMG_7634 3(2).jpg

Papa and lou.jpg

congratulations, you guys clearly are doing something right! beautiful family.

Wow, hard to believe we are the same age. You already have 6 out the door, and I have 13-1/2 years before our son gets the boot. Congrats on successfully raising 6 kids, and now being able to enjoy their kids! I'm sure they will love spending time with Grandpa Hoss and the workshop.

After hours project. Reverse draft smoker. 250 gallon tank, need to finish the firebox, the grates, and put in the baffle. It's like owning a trampoline, someone is going to get hurt. Give me some ideas as to what to smoke first.

Hoss

IMG_0562.JPG

What is the tank from? Most I've seen are old oil tanks, which this clearly is not.

I'll second the suckling pig my second choice would be goat.

Old, very heavy propane tank. Putting in an insulated fire box next.

Hoss

I thought I was looking at an antique naval cannon at a first quick glance! That thing is a beast. You should smoke an entire school of Atlantic salmon

Several weeks ago I was contacted by the TV show Forged in Fire on the history channel. They asked me to send them six different damascus patterns to use on an upcoming episode. The idea was to have the contestants duplicate one of the patterns as part of the challenge. At the time, they were not sure if each smith would make a different pattern or all of them forge the same one.

From the preview it looks like they will all make the same pattern. I'm not sure if the show will mention that we made the steel, maybe we'll be in the credits. Hopefully a picture of the steel will be shown.

The episode will air tomorrow night, Tues. 29th at 6:00 pm for us in the west.

We'll see,

Hoss

Several weeks ago I was contacted by the TV show Forged in Fire on the history channel. They asked me to send them six different damascus patterns to use on an upcoming episode. The idea was to have the contestants duplicate one of the patterns as part of the challenge. At the time, they were not sure if each smith would make a different pattern or all of them forge the same one.

From the preview it looks like they will all make the same pattern. I'm not sure if the show will mention that we made the steel, maybe we'll be in the credits. Hopefully a picture of the steel will be shown.

The episode will air tomorrow night, Tues. 29th at 6:00 pm for us in the west.

We'll see,

Hoss

Good luck to them - hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!! :D

That's great though, I'll try to catch it.

Just saw this post, great article, story and pics! I had no idea you have been making stainless damasus since 1991, amazing. Thanks for sharing your hard won knowledge with us much newer makers!

Sincerely,
John

Back