My Historical Finds (pic heavy)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cutfingers^^ I agree with you. Old carbon knives are fun to use. I normally still use my Japanese made knives daily, but sometimes I like to pull out an older carbon steel knife and put it to some use. My Forgecraft is my favorite profile among the vintage brands, and I really want to get another for back up sometime in the future.

Next is a pair of Vintage Chef knives courtesy of a member here on the forums. I got these in response to my WTB thread for some knives in need of a rehandle and clean up. Here they are as received.
5E25FC71-F7C2-4B2E-8202-1F7FCA34483E_zpsctu5tkkw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

LL bean 8" chef knife. Full bolster, tapered tang, nice distal taper to tip. Little thick at the edge on this one.
3EEC64A5-75B4-4D58-8556-D9A86B55B508_zps8tlbc2mj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
02FF6555-F5B1-4BCA-A88E-B1F94A055A89_zpssnwndwc6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
4F3220B3-862D-462D-ACE9-A7D87CD0E291_zpslsq9achf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dexter 45A12H 12" chef knife. Currently my largest knife to date. Feels Huge, but has a great distal taper, and a slightly tapered tang. Decent behind the edge as well. I would really love to know what the hardness rating is on this bad boy. Has some rough grind lines that appear to be factory, but I am not completely sure. It has a slightly different profile overall compared to what I am used to seeing for old American carbon; I like it. This guy will be getting a cool new handle so stay tuned for that.
1512B597-1BDB-4A1D-88EC-898F419557C8_zpsyjadwndg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
C0A85ADD-05E2-45AE-A21C-FA85183EA045_zpsaf8nh7us.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
3629221C-0DF6-4AF9-B240-2E21E7D3DBB0_zpsftp20ori.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
CA81BEDD-5911-4DDD-8FE6-7CA2105102A9_zpsm1bmbmmc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The clever shopper that found these must be pleased they have new parents. And the shopper's Mom will be happy LLBean has a happy home.:doublethumbsup:

And daveb will be happy he talked the shopper out of knife sharpening practice and patina forcing on vintage american historical steel.:cool2:

Finally got around to giving my Forgecraft 10" a rehandle after the thinning project here http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/23951-Beginner-Thinning-Project(s)-Pic-Heavy?highlight=thinning

Found this really awesome set of Pink Ivory scales (non-stabilized) at the Woodcraft outlet in Ft. Worth and had to have them. They had some sweet contrast that I have never seen before. . Honestly after oiling, the red/maroon got almost too dark, but I think it looks great either way. No pic from before oiling, wish I took one for comparison, but I cannot let natural wood on a kitchen knife go without oiling, so the point is moot. Need to take a couple more pics of the top view of the liners just for fun.

Pink Ivory handles with black fiber liners and black linen Micarta bolster for added aesthetics and class.
Personally one of the prettiest Forgecrafts I have seen yet, but I may be a tiny bit biased.

B86FCFB7-111F-4E53-BD72-BDD801A6BC2D_zpsg44mdcb7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
661C7F05-8534-4A0C-9297-264D8201821F_zpsly06jjh2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
FA273825-C053-4732-903B-04E5F7B97F6B_zpsbpiscj8i.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Also I am currently working on new handles for the large Dexter 12" above, so that should be coming in the next week or so. Small preview, it will include Black Palm. I am very excited for that one.

Another weekend of shopping, and a couple more to add to the collection.
Ekco Forge slicer and Forgecraft pairing knife. Both were too cheap to pass up, even though I didn't need another slicer. They are one of the most common styles along with the bullnose butchers.
6F386DCA-2424-4720-94C4-9DBEE57EE235_zpsgiyfxhuv.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And as promised, I completed the rehandle of the big 12" Dexter chef.
Bloodwood Bolster, Black Palm, and red fiber liners. Single 1/4" mosaic pin.
F48981F7-514D-4DE8-BC30-4436D2AD2908_zpspsiea4cg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
47171FDC-650F-4D57-B8F3-758FFFE65BCE_zpspdx3fbry.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
9BD5B605-79FB-4845-A49A-BD742C81020A_zpsalcnzc5g.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
A561E1BE-BA40-4D50-A57F-1601DAB35E21_zpsnixm6odi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Let me know what you think about the color choice. I like it personal, but my wife hasn't warmed up to it yet.

Recent vacation to Oregon and did some antiquing. The wife likes it, and I look for the occasional knife or nice cast iron skillet. Found something more unusual than what I am used to seeing, so I took these home as a souvenir. Please if anyone has some info on how old these might be, or what quality they are, I would love to get some more info on these. I think the engraving is very cool, and after some fixing of a oversteeled edge, it is very sharp and ready for use. I liked the subdued handle and that the set wasn't too fancy. I usually don't see a makers mark with an engraving, which makes me want to think this is an older set, but I really have no idea. I bought these as an unusual vintage set for carving. I like the profile of the blade as well, different than the standard carvers I see everywhere.

FE349A97-91D7-4D23-B93E-A20A4E9E068D_zpscvvgheyx.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2744FA93-2CB3-4586-9290-D3FC98BD72F2_zpsvgsbveu9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Please be aware that Her (Gracious British) Majesty refers to Queen Victoria. That corresponds with the dates given in the linked site about the firm being based at Norfolk Street in Sheffield.

Thank you Benuser for the info. From the link I picked out two pieces of info I think help narrow it down.

"Harrison Brothers & Howson - 1847/mid 20th c."
"The firm was originally active at 67 Norfolk Street, Sheffield (1866-1896), expanding to Shoreham Street Works (1880) and to a new factory in Carver Street (1901)."

Now the street number in the quote (67 Norfolk) does not match the blade (45 Norfolk), but if the date is from the actual location on Norfolk St. then this blade could be over 100 yrs old and by far the oldest piece of cutlery I own. On the other hand, the Harrison Bros and Howson label has a 100 yr span up to mid 1900's, which is quite a range. The makers mark, which is a VR initials on top, does not show up on the site.

So I have an idea, maybe somewhere between late 1800's to mid 1900's, but I would have thought twice about sharpening on a knife that old. Too late now, but I would have probably kept them in original condition if they really were made in 19th century. Probably not though, so I won't worry about it too much. Thanks again.

Edit: also found this link
http://strazors.com/index.php?id=612&doc=harrison_brothers_and_howson_sheffield_

"The Norfolk and Shoreham Street premises became cramped and so the firm relocated in 1900 to a new building fronting Carver Street, and bounded by West and Division Streets."

So would this conclude that this knife is indeed 1800's cutlery?

"Her Majesty" refers to a female head of state.
The reign of Queen Victoria ended with her death in 1901. Elisabeth II came to the throne in 1952. In between, England had kings. Which brings me to the conclusion the blade is Victorian.

Well dang, that is really cool. Now I wish I had not just sharpened it a couple days ago. It was not fit for cutting before, and had a frown in the edge, but I know that if things are old enough they can get collectible and original condition is always preferred. Oh well, I'm sure it will be a real good cutter now that it has a fresh straight edge. Knives are supposed to cut right?

Thanks again for your help and insight. This knife was definitely worth the money now that I have some history with it.

Messed up one of my photos again. Hate it when that happens.
Here it is for anyone who missed it the first time. This is the Harrison Brothers and Howson set discussed on the previous page.
FE349A97-91D7-4D23-B93E-A20A4E9E068D_zpsskzvr0w4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got another one. Been a while since I posted here because I have been looking for traditional pocket knives recently. But I did come home with an interesting piece from this month's flea market. It is a 12" slicing knife from Geo Wostenholm & Son Sheffield England. It is a big knife with strong distal taper starting about halfway down the blade. I think it is a meat slicing knife, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know what this knife would have been designed for? I have seen meat slicers with the blunted tip, but cake knives may have also been designed similarly. This one looks to have a nice geometry for slicing meats, not pastries.

Anyone familiar with this pattern from Sheffield? Thanks.

That is what I was leaning toward. Thank you for the quick response. I will sharpen it up nice and have it ready for the next holiday meal.

Apparently Wostenholm has been in business for a while. Do you happen to know an estimated age (decade)? My first impression was 1920's-40's, but could not find much on this particular stamp. May be impossible to get an accurate age, but if it was 1800's that would be really cool. The 5 pins/rivets on the handle make it visually interesting to me, so I will not be changing the handle on this one at all.

The Sheffield England etch would have to be after about 1892. I think you are on the right track of 1920 to 1950s. IXL is has been gone for a while now along with about all the other old English cutlery companies. Schrade owned the brand back in I think the 1980's but, of course, they are gone now too. (yes, I know about Taylor and its brands).

Don't y'all think the KCommander needs to update us on the status of his Chicago Cutlery collection as some of us are Auntie/Uncles?? He takes good pictures too.

By request, here is a photo of my Chicago Cutlery collection. The top 3 are in my travel kit, and the bottom is my wife's. Check out my thread in the review section on these knives, as well as my thread in the sharpening section on thinning the two top knives to make them cut better. Lots of photos of course!

10" 44S in Wenge
8" 42S in Jobillo
6" 41S in Bolivian Rosewood
6" 41S in Spalted Tamarind

New Entry. Just got back from Canton TX from the massive flea market there. Here is what I brought back.
This is only the Kitchen related stuff, there are also 4 other pocket knives I bought, 4 traditional styles and 2 modern folders.

Erie #8 skillet, excellent condition, ready for work, nice and light, but a little pricier than I usually buy.
Wagner small dutch oven/pot very excellent condition, no lid (like every other dutch oven I find)
Primble Hickory 10" chef knife, thought this was a good deal at $20. Nice knife, good profile.
Village Blacksmith #8 Cleaver good condition, tapered tang, distal taper, heavy. More for fun than use, but well worth the price of admission.
Dexter carving fork, poor condition, needs new handle and heavy cleanup of rust, but still all there. Cheap project that will clean up very well.

Great finds! Keep the pictures comming! I am wondering about the stamping patterns on the knives. Were they meant for food release? We dont find similar on today's knives, e.g. Granton grind.

Got another one. Been a while since I posted here because I have been looking for traditional pocket knives recently. But I did come home with an interesting piece from this month's flea market. It is a 12" slicing knife from Geo Wostenholm & Son Sheffield England. It is a big knife with strong distal taper starting about halfway down the blade. I think it is a meat slicing knife, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know what this knife would have been designed for? I have seen meat slicers with the blunted tip, but cake knives may have also been designed similarly. This one looks to have a nice geometry for slicing meats, not pastries.

Anyone familiar with this pattern from Sheffield? Thanks.

I somehow missed this post.

I'm just curious why nobody mentioned that damn handle on the slicer?!?

Yes the handle on the IXL is quite interesting. The 4 pins and single large center rivet (not sure if its a pin or rivet) make it very cool. The wood has excellent color as well, possibly a type of rosewood. This thing gets wicked sharp and slices meats like a pro.

I do not know too much about the slicing knife but I believe the keen kutter pocketknife is a rare pattern.

Yes the handle on the IXL is quite interesting. The 4 pins and single large center rivet (not sure if its a pin or rivet) make it very cool. The wood has excellent color as well, possibly a type of rosewood. This thing gets wicked sharp and slices meats like a pro.

very nice!
love the copper handle pins
early 1900's/Victorian era they made fine cutlery until income taxation, then they cheapened the quality after that in my opinion

Latest posts

Back