My New Wedging / Cracking Stress Test

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After the horse carrot test last weekend, I have been looking for something else to increase the difficulty just for fun. A few people mentioned big sweet potatoes. I bought a bag from Costco. Not significantly more challenging than those horse carrots to me. Looked around a little more today and found this massive taro in a local store. 200mm x 110mm. I don’t want to list out all the knives, but I tried a bunch of them. The popular KU knives all got stuck…short (in height) gyutos all got stuck…light lasers all got stuck…some mid weight knives did ok. One knife really stood out - my 52100 Eddworks. 244mm x 57mm, 232g. No idea what secret sauce @eddworks added to this knife. Really don’t want to make him even more popular as I want more knives from him, but this knife is really something else.

IMG_9327.png
IMG_9328.png
IMG_9329.png
IMG_9330.png
IMG_9331.png
IMG_9333.png
IMG_9332.png

Last edited:
Well, I find that not at all surprising. Eddie just has a grind that is exceptional against almost every Japanese knife that I have tried…and I have, and have tried, a lot of them.

The more knives we have of his used here in the forum, the more it will be evident the guy has something special going. I’m still waiting to come in line for my second custom from him and I’m quite excited about it.

Awesome testing, that’s a serious block of taro. Interestingly my 52100 eddworks is also the most consistent performer of everything I own. 1/3 the price of others and will always be in rotation. Pure cutting performance, only rivaled by kyuzo EH, lucid, and hate to say… Yoshikane.

Last edited:
Look at that beast! And I'm not talking about you @nhb22 😜

You really raised the bar and my girlfriend needs taro. I think I'll try it too..

Update:

After the kids went to bed, I further processed one of the taros into 1inch by 1 inch chucks (ended up with about 5lbs of taro now I need to figure out how to use…). Used about 12 knives to do it. Eddworks wins at this particular task hands down. Does this test have any practical value you may ask? Maybe not if you don’t cut any larger root veggies. If you do often, I would say night and day difference. Not only how pleasant the process would be, but also how quickly you could do it. Of the knives I used in this test, many of them cost $1,000 plus. My Eddworks cost me $365 including shipping and it came with a leather saya.

IMG_9336.png
IMG_9337.png

Update:

After the kids went to bed, I further processed one of the taros into 1inch by 1 inch chucks (ended up with about 5lbs of taro now I need to figure out how to use…). Used about 12 knives to do it. Eddworks wins at this particular task hands down. Does this test have any practical value you may ask? Maybe not if you don’t cut any larger root veggies. If you do often, I would say night and day difference. Not only how pleasant the process would be, but also how quickly you could do it. Of the knives I used in this test, many of them cost $1,000 plus. My Eddworks cost me $365 including shipping and it came with a leather saya.

View attachment 310506View attachment 310507
Realized the relative bargain pricing of Ed’s knives at this point so I just jumped back in line. His popularity however has resulted in a probable year long wait this time. Sheesh.

I found some big sweet potatoes to test recently on a blade I was working on! The blade was 240mm length heel to tip and around 54mm tall, which gives you an idea of the 2 sweet potatoes, large onions and cabbage! It was getting a wa handle, but I left the tang bigger to use as a temp handle while I was still grinding and testing.
80crv2.jpg

Rutabaga also is a good one to test, too. Going to look for Taro next time I am at the store!

Butternut squash has been many a knife's downfall in my experience. Sweet potatoes and carrots are my go-to dense veggies for my knife testing. If they get wedged in either, they're sold (unless of course it's really cool or special). I love when I get a butternut and get to test my knives out, all of my gyutos are mid-weights to workhorses, no lasers, and they all can make it through pretty well. My best are, like you, my Eddworks and F. Vaz closely followed by Konosuke (Yoshikane) YW, Masashi Kokuen line, K. Karys, and Munetoshi. I sold my Adonis, it wedged always. Other wedgers HVB (very sad about that one), Spare Honyaki, 3rd Hill Customs (two different knives and even more disappointing), and Shiro Kamo. And all sold.

Apples are better than carrots and sweet potatoes IMO - I don’t expect a knife to silently chop a sweet potato, but if it stalls on a apple I’m annoyed
For sure. Different apples can be different too. Some are easier. My eddworks can cut apples pretty well. Most of my knives can’t cut through apples easily. Can you push through anyway? Sure. Does it feel great when you do it? No. So much so I decided to keep this short Tanaka gyuto (that I otherwise have no use for) for nothing but apple duty since I cut a lot of apples for my kids. This knife is thin enough and has the right balance to never wedge on any apple.

https://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/tanaka-yoshikazu-gyuto-170mm-blue-1-special/

Lovely test, I also don't use carrots often now since the stain is hard to clean up. Taro chunks? I got some delicious taro cakes back after giving them out to a few cantonese friends, just a hint ;)

I just finished peeling and French cutting a jicama. That was a worthy wedging/cracking test.

Back