Nakamura HAP40 Review

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Infrared

Reaction score
Complete tier list and the Nakamura's ranking can be seen here: Japanese Knife Tier List

Perfect if you like thin knives. Nail flexing and very light (87g). Almost too light if you ask me.
Great performer all around. What's really surprising is how well it cuts potatoes. Thinner knives tend to struggle with suctioning but this one exceeds with them. Great straight profile with a little curve for some rocking.

One interesting thing to note is how easily the cladding stains. I'm constantly cleaning off rust (cleaned spots are visible in the pictures) since this is the family knife and they aren't very careful. Nothing too bad, but something take note of.
Handle is extremely comfortable, and I'm usually not a fan of western handles.

Steel is great. Very easy to sharpen, even with more traditional stones. No chipping at all, which is surprising since my family uses and abuses it. Now that I think about it, this is the only knife they've haven't chipped yet, and that's impressive considering how thin this knife is.

Measurements
Length: 140mm (Bunka)
Height: 38mm
Spine: 1.6mm
Weight: 87g

Cutting Performance
Potatoes: S
Onions: A
Carrots: B

Steel
Edge retention: 3+ weeks (daily home use, large variety of vegetables)
Toughness: No issues (I'm heavy-handed)
Ease of sharpening: A
Edge taking: B+
Initial sharpness: C

Geometry

• Convex hira.
  • Slightly hollow kireha.
  • Virtually no distal taper.
Fit and Finish

• Very coarse and imperfect migaki finish.
  • Rustic handle.
20231101_034837.jpg20231101_034026.jpg20231101_034233.jpg20231101_034716.jpg20231101_033835.jpg20231101_034441.jpg

Feel free to ask any questions.

Is this the same Nakamura - the tonya in Chiba? I went looking but didn't see this among their current products.

Is this the same Nakamura - the tonya in Chiba? I went looking but didn't see this among their current products.

From KnifeJapan:

Miyazaki Prefecture's Nakamura Hamono doesn't employ any sort of online presence to sell their products. You have to weave some search-fu magic to uncover even the occasional incidental blog post or festival report referencing the company and their knives, and that's only if you know who and what you're looking for. The lack of need on the seller's side has meant a lack of opportunity for those of us further afield. No more!

How did we find them? Well, blacksmithing networks run deep. We were referred to Nakamura Hamono by master craftsmen we know whose connections with Nakamura san go back decades. Back to before he set up business in his home town of Miyakonojo in the seventies.

Back