Naming a Baby (Boy)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great opportunity for you. Now is your chance to break the cycle and stop giving people in your family "odd" names. Just because your parents did it to you doesn't mean you have to do it to your son. Children suck toward one another and kids with odd names pay a hard price for their parents sense of humor or stupidity. Good luck!

True story. I worked with a fellow that went by L.B. I asked him one time what the L.B. stood for? He replied, "I have cruel parents" and handed me his wallet. He didn't think I would believe him if he told me. Sure enough, his ID listed him as Little Billy <surname>. Don't be that guy! :eek2:

This is a great opportunity for you. Now is your chance to break the cycle and stop giving people in your family "odd" names. Just because your parents did it to you doesn't mean you have to do it to your son. Children suck toward one another and kids with odd names pay a hard price for their parents sense of humor or stupidity. Good luck!

I can definitely see that. I hated my name until I was about 20. I grew up in a small town so no one was cruel towards me ever, but I hated having to explain it to adults. They would always correct me and say, "You mean Kerry, right?" No old fu*k, I mean 'karring' like my name, not the name you imagine with Wally and Beave in the '50s.

Then I remember my drill sergeant in the army saying to me, "I bet you got made fun of a lot when you were young because of your name." I said to him honestly, "No, sergeant, I think you are the first." He never said a word to me the rest of basic training. Now I like my name.

k.

well we just found out the gender of your upcoming little one and were going to use Ryker for a boy as it is a surname form of Richard (my name) and also all the men in my family have the initials RBF, now with it being a girl, we have decided upon Sienna but you are welcome to use Ryker, altho I don't know how that would translate :)

p.s. no reference to any star trek btw for those thinking of it lol

DAMN! I know I heard the original and now I can't remember it... right on the tip of my alcohol scrambled memory.

How bout Strop? Or, better yet: Hone, which is even better if you know the rhyming last name.

Just had this conversation with another forum member. Here are some names his wife rejected but yours may not:CPM154, Super Blue, Aogami super, Honyaki, Mokume, Thor, Thumper, Odin, Sledge, Gravlax, Braise, Pickle, Nasturtium, Salt, Poblano
Wow, talk about deja vu! :biggrin:
I'm following this thread carefully now, as we need to pick a middle name in the next 36 hours. Braise is totally kick-ass, but for some reason my wife does not see the brilliance.

My Grandfather on one side was Ragnar and we would be naming any boy that if graced with a boy.
Sven
Eric
Lars
Hans
Jaeger - Scandinavian version of Hunter

Theory beat me to Seven - but you would have to make it Scandinavian so it would have to be Sju

we named our little guy Carlo fwiw, but little Italian heritage there not so much Scandinavian.

Lucas...then if he's a troublemaker you nickname him "Loki".

True story. I worked with a fellow that went by L.B. I asked him one time what the L.B. stood for? He replied, "I have cruel parents" and handed me his wallet. He didn't think I would believe him if he told me. Sure enough, his ID listed him as Little Billy <surname>. Don't be that guy! :eek2:

I used to think this way as well...but I saw a study of children with unusual names ("moon unit" or "dweezil" anyone?) and while they do have some conflict about it when they are young, but the time they are adults, they love their name and are grateful to their parents. YMMV.

How about Sharring? Then when he grows to be just like you people can say .... Sharring is Karring

:groucho: Love it.

My wife and I considered changing our last names to Tao when we got married...could be a cool given name though.

Cai or Kai = lord
Erik or Arich, Arik = ruler
Nikolaus = victor of the people
Axel (by the time he's older no one will remember Guns 'n Roses) = peace or my father is peace
Egil = sword
Kennet (sure to be confused with Kenneth) = born of fire

Some of my favourite swedish names would be Valdemar and Tage. If we would've had a boy instead of a girl, I would've wanted at least one of them. Well actually i wanted the first name to have been Mattis.

Mokume has a nice sound to it, to bad your not having a girl or you could have went the George Costanza route and named her "7"

Phillip McReviss
Pat McCrotch
Phil Atio
Hugh Jourgen
Haywood Jablomey
Mike Hunt
Craven Morehead

And on the female side
Amanda Huginkiss
Ivana Humpalot
Anita Shower

or perhaps you just want to go with initials
I.P. Daly

Chris - you and I would be dangerous if we lived close to each other.

well we just found out the gender of your upcoming little one and were going to use Ryker for a boy as it is a surname form of Richard (my name) and also all the men in my family have the initials RBF, now with it being a girl, we have decided upon Sienna but you are welcome to use Ryker, altho I don't know how that would translate :)

p.s. no reference to any star trek btw for those thinking of it lol

The Star Trek guy spelled it Riker. ;)

Back