Need Help with a family dinner - Pulled Pork

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main thing I want is for the pulled pork to be really good.

How can I tell when the pork is done? I have a thermometer with a remote, so monitoring tempature is no problem. I read that it has to hit 200 to breakdown the fat. When should I pull it out to rest?

Buy a two pack of pork butts from Costco, Sam's Club or wherever you shop. Cook one this week since you're at home like you would on Sat, keep the oven temp consistent, use the remote thermometer and check temps every hour, weigh before and after cooking, etc. On Sat, it will be your second run.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. My dinner party is going to be a small one, 6 people total. It's my wife's birthday get-together, so that's why I want to make sure everything is really good. I was thinking 3lb of meat would serve everyone.

My plan now is to cook it a day in advance as Lucretia suggested and warm it up the next day for serving. I am going to do this I think in a crock-pot on a low temp and cook the meat in it's own juices in the crock-pot when re-heating.

From what I'm reading, once I get 195 throughout the pork, I'm ready to pull it out for a rest and later shredding? if that's the case, then I feel pretty good about cooking the pork. I'll have bbq sauce for the dinner, so I'm okay with it being a little too dry rather than under done. Since I'm going to reheat it, should I pull it out at a lower temp so it can finish the next day in the crock-pot?

Sides I'm going to stick to some basics that I have made before. I am going to do a green bean recipe I found online, but it's so simple I'm not worried about it. I'll doctor up a can of baked beans as suggested and that just leaves me with the coleslaw and corn pudding. Corn pudding is tried and true recipe, so I'm fine there. The slaw I'd like to make from scratch, but I'm a little apprehensive. I think I'm going to go with this super simple recipe I found online. I figure I'll make it a day ahead of time as well, so I'm not rushed and if it turns out okay, let it sit in the fridge for a day for the flavors to come together.

Am I still going too bold?

Doesn't sound too bold at all -- looks like a solid game plan. My only issue is with the 6 people, 3 lbs... Don't you want any leftovers?!? :nono:

If you make the slaw in advance, which I recommend, to make the day-of less stressful, shred the cabbage, rinse the shredded stuff good(there's dirt), and then leave it very wet and salt it, then put it in a colander with something under it, and leave it open(fridge, counter, whatever) for a day/overnight. What this will do is get the water out first before you put the mayo in it--that's how you keep the slaw from getting soupy.

After that, slaw is easy peasy! shredded cabbage, lemon juice, salt, sugar, and mayo. All are adjusted to taste, so use less and then adjust UP. But it's about as hard as making a cup of coffee.

I should add that sometimes I will substitute corn syrup for sugar. The sugar has a strange way of distributing in the slaw and has a pop-bang-gone kind of sweetness, and corn syrup has that lingering sweetness that makes the slaw more consistent while you're chewing it--just don't use too much, cause there's no going back with corn syrup!

just saw the cooks illustrated spring time menu magazine.. feature article on making pulled pork in the oven at home.. i did not have time to read it before work but it looks like just what you are looking for ..
send pm if i can help .. i cook mine on big green egg but no experiece doing in the oven
and you want to take the pork to 195 + or - . poke at i with your themo pen to check the tenderness as well

ATK had this recipe on over the weekend. It looked awesome. They used a liquid smoke brine to get smoke flavor into the meat. It should still be free on their website.

I cannot find that recipe, do you have a link?

If you make the slaw in advance, which I recommend, to make the day-of less stressful, shred the cabbage, rinse the shredded stuff good(there's dirt), and then leave it very wet and salt it, then put it in a colander with something under it, and leave it open(fridge, counter, whatever) for a day/overnight. What this will do is get the water out first before you put the mayo in it--that's how you keep the slaw from getting soupy.

+1 on this...very key step:doublethumbsup:

If I were cooking for 6 people, I would plan 36 oz so 3 lbs finished is plenty. That being said, you'll need 6 lbs raw and most pork butts are bigger than that. There is no limit of stuff to do with leftover pork so I wouldn't be afraid to make more.

If making the pork ahead of time, I would go ahead and pull it and season it. Then put in ziploc bags and fridge. Then you can reheat in the crock pot or microwave.

From what I'm reading, once I get 195 throughout the pork, I'm ready to pull it out for a rest and later shredding?

195 is a place to start, but make sure it feels like soft butter throughtout when you put the temp probe in it.

Since I'm going to reheat it, should I pull it out at a lower temp so it can finish the next day in the crock-pot?

Don't. Go ahead and cook it until tender and pull it.

Let me reiterate once again the need to add moisture back to the meat. Adding the meat's own juice back will maintain the flavor of the meat without masking it and still keep it moist. Thick, sweet bbq sauce sits on top of dry meat and does nothing for the moisture. If you plan on putting sauce on sandwiches, can I recommend adding this finishing sauce to the meat as you pull it? 3 parts meat drippings, 1 part white vinegar. Add salt to taste.

Hope it goes well!

I'm going to go with your plan for the pork. I'll be cooking it at 250 on Friday morning while I'm working from home. I'll make sure that it reaches 195 at multiple points in the meat and its buttery tender before I take it out and pull it. I'm also going to put the finishing sauce on as you suggested. One question, I planned on pulling the meat in a pyrex. After it's pulled, should I place the finishing sauce on it, give it a stir, cover and place in the fridge? That's how I was thinking about doing it, then the next day, I would put meat and sauce into the crock-pot about an hour before serving on warm or low.

If I were cooking for 6 people, I would plan 36 oz so 3 lbs finished is plenty. That being said, you'll need 6 lbs raw and most pork butts are bigger than that. There is no limit of stuff to do with leftover pork so I wouldn't be afraid to make more.

If making the pork ahead of time, I would go ahead and pull it and season it. Then put in ziploc bags and fridge. Then you can reheat in the crock pot or microwave.

195 is a place to start, but make sure it feels like soft butter throughtout when you put the temp probe in it.

Don't. Go ahead and cook it until tender and pull it.

Let me reiterate once again the need to add moisture back to the meat. Adding the meat's own juice back will maintain the flavor of the meat without masking it and still keep it moist. Thick, sweet bbq sauce sits on top of dry meat and does nothing for the moisture. If you plan on putting sauce on sandwiches, can I recommend adding this finishing sauce to the meat as you pull it? 3 parts meat drippings, 1 part white vinegar. Add salt to taste.

Hope it goes well!

I always pull the meat in a large bowl to make mixing in seasoning and sauce easier, but however you do it shouldn't make a difference.

Just slow roasted some pork for tacos. Rubbed, rested, slow roasted for 12 hours at 225, rested again. Even though it isn't smoked you can still create a nice crust.

IMG_0101.jpg

The point of any cole slaw at a deli or diner is to have an acidic palate-cleanser to complement the rich foods. Avoid creamy slaw at all costs. A simple New York or Montreal deli-style slaw is a sure bet. We used to make a standard Montreal deli slaw at the BBQ chicken place I worked at as a kid. I tried to do the math to reduce this down from high-volume restaurant use (in delis and rotisseries, vinegar coleslaw is a staple side dish). You'll still need a large food processor, or you can practice some of your knife skills your favorite big blade. We never used sweet peppers in ours at work, but they do add interest. You decide:

1 cabbage head (about 3 lbs)
3-4 carrots, coarsely grated
1-2 peppers -- optional -- (try three halves of different colours)
1 onion, finely chopped -- again, optional, and I leave it out -- (or green onions, single bunch, or one full, large French shallot)

Marinade:

1/2 cup sugar -- seriously
1 cup white vinegar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp garlic powder
3/4 cup oil (the plainer the better, like canola or safflower)

Place shredded vegetables in a large bowl. Combine ingredients for marinade in a saucepan and heat to near-boiling -- once the sugar and salt are dissolved, you're good to go. Pour marinade over coleslaw mixture and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours, then check for seasoning. Adjust salt, pepper and garlic to taste, but avoid adding more vinegar -- it gets more tart with time. If you added more seasoning, put back in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.

GREAT THREAD GUYS & GALS !

Thanks for all the tips...

I cannot find that recipe, do you have a link?

Here ya go... it seems pretty simple. My wife and I are planning to try this within the next couple weeks.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/detail.php?docid=21331&incode=M**ASCA00

Just slow roasted some pork for tacos. Rubbed, rested, slow roasted for 12 hours at 225, rested again. Even though it isn't smoked you can still create a nice crust.

OMG that looks awesome. Can you give the details/recipe? I'd love to try that in tacos! :knife:

Sadly it didn't. My dinner plans were vetoed in favor of eating out at http://www.bucadibeppo.com/. It was my wife's birthday, so I was happy to comply. However this meal is still on my radar, but now I won't have the family pressures to worry about and I can take my time. :)

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But :thumbsup: on keeping the wife happy. Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Back