Need stones for work what should I get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgraeff

Reaction score
So at home I have the full gesshin lineup and Naturals. I typically do the 400/ 4K or 400/2k then naturals depending on the knife.

For work I have a mixture of Wustof and Japanese knives that I’ll need to sharpen regularly.

I don’t want to keep transporting my stones back and fourth.

I was thinking ideally 2 stones or at most 3 stone set up, splash and go is preferred.

Either chosera or glass stones I’m thinking unless you guys have a better option.

Not exactly sure what grits would be ideal for both German and Japanese.

Let me know what you guys would get

Shapton glass 500 + pro 2K is what I've heard recommended. They can apparently both fit into the 2K box, so stone holder and transport all in one.
Shapton also sells the glass field kit (500,2K,16K and field holder). Should be pretty nice as the 16K will work as your strop.

Transport the work knives back and forth. 🤡

Or are you looking for an excuse to buy more stones?
In that case, I'm reading carefully, because I need some too

More serious, 400 for a routine sharpening at work?

I'd say a 1000-2000 and a finisher should be good if you maintain the knives on regular base?

Or do you do swordfighting with the colleagues after the place closes?

Right now, SP 120 and SG 500 + SG 4k carried in a Pro case.
16543617309806181097352590816206.jpg

Transport the work knives back and forth. 🤡

Or are you looking for an excuse to buy more stones?
In that case, I'm reading carefully, because I need some too
Actually yes this is part of it haha

I also really like the SP1k. SG500 for thinning and repairs, SP1k for bevel setting. SS2k for final deburr and to refinish the faces of the knife after thinning. Very good food release characteristics. Finer and softer than SG/SP2k. That's what makes it a good deburrer. It may seem strange to have 500-1000-2000 but that is really all I use for kitchen knives besides naturals. Now I am at a very small operation and I am much more into vintage Nortons and naturals than when I was working at big hotels and restaurants. My work kit is a Norton India Coarse/Soft Ark Combo stone and a Norton translucent hard ark file (3"*3/4"*3/4"). But all I have to maintain is two gyutos and a petty.

Last edited:
I don't know if you can relate polishing abilities and edge refinement directly, but the superstone 2000 gives you a far far far higher gritt finish than that number suggests. Atleast, if I look at how shiny the results are compared to sp2k or even a rika. I have yet to compare a bigger surface to look how it compares to a kitayama 8000.

For edges, I'm not expert enough to give an objective conclusion. The number of times I did a direct compare with the same knive, same everything, and then finishing on a ss2000 vs rika vs kitayama to tell anything thrustfull about refinement or bite, is zero. Besides that, I'm not consistent enough I think with the end results.

So how would you describy the superstone 2000 edge?

The times I finished on this stone, It gave me a slick but draggy feeling on the fingernail. The knive feels 'sharper' with this edge than with any other stone around 2000 gritt. For me, this is an indication it doesnt even finish close to 2000

I don't know if you can relate polishing abilities and edge refinement directly, but the superstone 2000 gives you a far far far higher gritt finish than that number suggests. Atleast, if I look at how shiny the results are compared to sp2k or even a rika. I have yet to compare a bigger surface to look how it compares to a kitayama 8000.

For edges, I'm not expert enough to give an objective conclusion. The number of times I did a direct compare with the same knive, same everything, and then finishing on a ss2000 vs rika vs kitayama to tell anything thrustfull about refinement or bite, is zero. Besides that, I'm not consistent enough I think with the end results.

So how would you describy the superstone 2000 edge?

The times I finished on this stone, It gave me a slick but draggy feeling on the fingernail. The knive feels 'sharper' with this edge than with any other stone around 2000 gritt. For me, this is an indication it doesnt even finish close to 2000

I mostly used the stone for deburring only for the edge. Created a toothy hybrid edge of sorts I guess. So I was using a slightly more refined 500 grit edge for soft stainless and a slightly more refined 1000 grit edge for carbon. I find the softer finer stone is really nice for deburring. Whereas a SG 2k always tends to want to raise a new burr for instance without really good pressure control. The SS is more forgiving.

My work stones gradually evolved to SG500, SP1000 and SP2000. Work with my knives, coworkers knives, house knives. And just happen to have a set of above, bnib, (hell, still in bubble wrap) that I ordered from MTC that I don't need.

Of course it's Gesshin n Nats at the house.

It seems the shapton pro is more popular than the glass for higher grits? Is that basically for the feedback?

I think I’m going to go with SG500 and S2k to start with. I can always add a 1k if needed later on.

Go with Chosera.

I work with a team of very trustworthy and respectful cooks and as a result I leave all of my knives and stones at work including 5 jnats. Every stone gets used at some point for something different but when it comes down to business and getting a lot of prep done the Chosera 1K & 3K are everything I need for any type of veggie and protein prep (besides sashimi).

For the past year and a half I have rotated stones in and out of daily driver progression and ultimately I keep going back to the Choseras because they leave a great edge and have good feeling and feedback. The bases can be a bit annoying but ultimately they aren’t too bad. A quick strop on the 3K keeps the edge singing for service.

It seems the shapton pro is more popular than the glass for higher grits? Is that basically for the feedback?

I think I’m going to go with SG500 and S2k to start with. I can always add a 1k if needed later on.
I like my gs 1k to 3k. For repair work the Atoma 1200 is faster then my gs 500.
The 2k gs is a really fast cutting stone, but too close to the the 1k.

The Naniwa pro 800 and 3k is a really good combination.
The 2k is a really good one stone solution. If you add a nagura with this stone you are well covered. This leaves a finish quite close to the gs 3k.

Back