Need strop advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I wanted to just post a little update. Last night I refreshed the edges of five or six knives of various steels. I'm at a point that stropping them with diamond/leather was starting to polish the teeth. So I stropped them on Dave's Takenoko 8K stone un soaked and dry (probably other high grit stone would work too) and it brough them right back to toothy but keen after a few strokes. it be honest, I think it created more bite than my 1200 HA ceramic rod. I know that likely I'll have to drop down lower maybe to my Rika next session, just wanted to share my results.

Also, I picked up one of Dave's hard felt strops. As noted I've been unsucessful to improve my edges with the diamond/felt strop I currently have from CKTG. When I get Dave's I'll post my findings.

Anyone have success stropping on un-loaded felt? How long does the pad last?

Reviving this thread... Anyone know of a good place to buy these PDP/MDP sprays/suspensions/slurry in the UK, or Europe ? Somewhere where I won't need to buy it by the litres..
Thanks

Reviving this thread... Anyone know of a good place to buy these PDP/MDP sprays/suspensions/slurry in the UK, or Europe ? Somewhere where I won't need to buy it by the litres..
Thanks

Try the strop shop (not sure links are allowed here) or the invisible edge.

Good luck

Well, I couldn't find anything in the invisible edge, and the strop shop has monocrystalline diamond from 1 micron and down, couldn't see any PDP, or anything above 1 micron. I'll give them a call.
Typing in google "polycrystalline diamond suspension uk" yields some company names, it seems though these also sell in large quantities, like 250-400ml and up.

Well, I couldn't find anything in the invisible edge, and the strop shop has monocrystalline diamond from 1 micron and down, couldn't see any PDP, or anything above 1 micron. I'll give them a call.
Typing in google "polycrystalline diamond suspension uk" yields some company names, it seems though these also sell in large quantities, like 250-400ml and up.

250 ml should be a good size

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/invisibleedgeproducts.html and scroll a bit down.

What are you looking for, pdp only, particular sizes? It isn't very clear from your question ;)

Good question, I'm not sure what I want..
invisible edge - ah, they've got paste.
Having read this long and interesting thread I understood that the best for kitchen knives is PDP suspension or slurry, hence my question.
If I'm wrong of course then please correct me...
I was thinking of getting maybe 3 microns and 1 micron, perhaps one other.

The reason I'm also looking at somewhat less refined/higher micron products, is because I was told I could put a bit of it on my edge pro stones and it helps sharpening 'harder to sharpen knives', like Blazen, which I'm having some trouble with, at least I need more time for it..
If this is not true then I'm willing to stand corrected on that also...

I don't know anything about an edge pro but if you need to load your stones then you either need different stones or a different knife.

Well - I got the Shapton Glass, which I understand are the best for EP
Blazen - not going to replace that...

Could be Edge Pro specific problem, I do manage to get a reasonably good edge, it's just damned hard and time consuming... the PDP is not crucial for this, I just thought it would help.

Be careful not to fall into the trap set by the guys who cut and sell those EP stones. They've made a whole market out of talking lots of BS. The thing is that you don't need an EP, nor the expensive special stones they cut, nor special compounds to spray on the special stones when the special stones don't work....it's all a marketing ploy that's being propelled by new/ inexperienced sharpeners or retailers of said products.

So the subject of this thread is about treating strops with compounds, if you're looking for advice on how to treat stones with compounds you'll have to go back to those guys I was just talking about as that sort of crap isn't discussed here.

Sorry to be so blunt but I get riled up when it comes to certain subjects. I mean you (liren1) no ill will. Good luck with your search regardless.

Dave

Be careful not to fall into the trap set by the guys who cut and sell those EP stones. They've made a whole market out of talking lots of BS. The thing is that you don't need an EP, nor the expensive special stones they cut, nor special compounds to spray on the special stones when the special stones don't work....it's all a marketing ploy that's being propelled by new/ inexperienced sharpeners or retailers of said products.

So the subject of this thread is about treating strops with compounds, if you're looking for advice on how to treat stones with compounds you'll have to go back to those guys I was just talking about as that sort of crap isn't discussed here.

Sorry to be so blunt but I get riled up when it comes to certain subjects. I mean you (liren1) no ill will. Good luck with your search regardless.

Dave

I was told this by another user, completely non related to the guys selling the stuff, maybe he's fallen into this trap and has dragged me with him :)
For several reasons, for now, I'm using Edge Pro, Free Hand sharpening I will take on one day..
You're the expert, so I will take your advise at face value and drop my search for higher grit comound for the stones and concentrate on the strops.

So I'm still asking after reading the thread, it's still not clear to me if PDP is best for this, or MDP or makes no huge difference whatsoever ? The latter is more easily available here than the former, hence my question.

Well - I got the Shapton Glass, which I understand are the best for EP
Blazen - not going to replace that...

Could be Edge Pro specific problem, I do manage to get a reasonably good edge, it's just damned hard and time consuming... the PDP is not crucial for this, I just thought it would help.

I found the Edge Pro to be excruciatingly slow and time consuming for just about every sharpening job. Free hand is much faster and efficient.

Dave

I was told this by another user, completely non related to the guys selling the stuff, maybe he's fallen into this trap and has dragged me with him :)
For several reasons, for now, I'm using Edge Pro, Free Hand sharpening I will take on one day..
You're the expert, so I will take your advise at face value and drop my search for higher grit comound for the stones and concentrate on the strops.

So I'm still asking after reading the thread, it's still not clear to me if PDP is best for this, or MDP or makes no huge difference whatsoever ? The latter is more easily available here than the former, hence my question.

Generally speaking either PDP or MDP will work fine. It's only when you get into splitting hairs do you start to notice the differences and even then it's not so easy to say one is better than the other. Sometimes you just have to test for yourself as each specific brand/line/type/concentration/etc can work differently for different knives.

The reason I'm also looking at somewhat less refined/higher micron products, is because I was told I could put a bit of it on my edge pro stones and it helps sharpening 'harder to sharpen knives', like Blazen, which I'm having some trouble with, at least I need more time for it..
If this is not true then I'm willing to stand corrected on that also...

The only person I know of that says this is Ken Schwartz, he says it because he sells very expensive products for you to do it with. It may well work but I'm sure Ken is looking for a sale when makes the recommendation to load the stones with extra abrasive.

ETA: There are a few guys that have drank his Kool-Aid and it runs deep in them who parrot his phooy-balooy. The source is Ken though.

Experiementation is the key. For the life of me, I can't get diamond loaded felt strops to improve my edges. I have both Dave's and the other guy's felt strops. I will say that I like the feel of Dave's better.

My experience with Strops
Bovine/Diamond--Killer
Naked Horse--ultra fine
Balsa/Cromium--toothy not as refined
Felt/Diamond--Nada but a shiny edge and a dusty blade
Naked Dry Takenono (Dave's)--Crazy bitty and keen after only a few passes. Best before naked horse.

But when I used to use the edge pro, I would put 1u diamond spray on a dry Ozuku Tomae mounted on the EP blank and it left a brilliantly bitty, clean ultra keen edge.

The latest batch of felt strops from Dave are phenominal, use unloaded as its aggressive on its own. Its my favorite purchase of the year. Was a limited run, but he will probably bring more in with enough interest..

There are also different intentions for people when using strops. Some people are trying to refine their edge more, others are simply using the strop to clean up the edge and help remove residual burr. And then still you can use them to bring back or maintain an edge.

I like the way my edges feel when they come off the stones. I don't want them refined any more. I just want to clean them up a bit and make them last longer. So I just use hard felt and 1 micron diamond. I use an 8k DMT diamond plate or 6k JKI diamond stone to bring back or maintain my edge.

I just lay it flat horizontally on prep table and use moderate pressure, unloaded. Angle of approach is that of higher than the edge, I'd guess 5-10deg more. Starting at the tip and sliding on a bias ending with heel.

Little deff. than my tech.Main thing whatever works.I learned this from Dave & it has worked for me stropping many blades & it is how I teach it as well.Angle the spine until it just slightly bites the leather(I use Adams so it is a easy read)That is the strop angle,med lite pressure(too much can round your edge)As on the stones a steady spine is a must.At the end of the stroke,rock back & lift off the leather or lift 90% off,never roll at end of stroke as that too can round your edge.

Panda I am going to order some horsehide leather,I make my own strops,& try unloaded & your tech. always up for new stuff.

Read over this thread, great info here. I am at a point where I have been sharpening on the stones for a short while now and getting fairly comfortable but realized that I really need a strop.

I have used newspaper before but I would like to establish a "real" strop to put in my kit. I know that I want a fixed strop, but using leather or felt or balsa is still on my mind.

Thinking i would be using a compound i bought the extra fine bar from amazon for 10 bucks (couldn't say no for a pound at this price) but I don't know if i will even use that over spray.

With that said, i just use my knives at home and want something for occasional use. I have a CN as my main knife, and a SS nakiri that i also use. I think something a bit more forgiving would be a good idea but I also think I could most styles and get comfortable with them too.

I plan on going to the craft store this week to get some materials and would love some guidance on what direction I should go. Thanks in advance for any help, cheers

Rich

not trying to annoy anyone....but bump for my last post above as I would love some advice :)

Well I have made a couple strops,just simple ones.Easy to get 3" wide strips of cowhide.3"X14" mounted on 1" thick wood. Leather to wood wt. Contact Cement.Ease the corners on wood wt.sanding before gluing.Seal wood wt. clear satin polyurethane.I like large strops also made a 3.5"X16".

Salty had a pretty cool thread about a 4 way strop that seemed pretty simple to make here. Seems pretty simple and sweet and you can put whatever you like on each side!

Thanks for that, I must have overlooked that thread when I searched. I just watched it and was amazed....1/8th micron? good lord that must have had a stupid sharp edge on it. Cheers

Back