New Classic Albums post 1995

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Verve - Urban Hymns

As an album its one of the best for me. Songs fit together very well.

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991... I know... sorry)

Even Flow, Once, Jeremy, Alive, Black... album filled with epic grunge songs.

Anything by Lagwagon or NOFX, like all their stuff without exceptions.

The Verve - Urban Hymns

As an album its one of the best for me. Songs fit together very well.

Pearl Jam - Ten (1991... I know... sorry)

Even Flow, Once, Jeremy, Alive, Black... album filled with epic grunge songs.

Anything by Lagwagon or NOFX, like all their stuff without exceptions.

Post grunge. Thats the point. All the albums from that time were awesome. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.
There seems to be this black hole of music from the mid 90's on that a lot of people don't consider great music aside from random conversations like "Oh yeah, I remember that Garbage album; used to listen to it a lot when I was a teenager". I started this thread when I saw someone comment on a Fear Factory album on youtube saying it was a great album when they were a teenager and now that they are 30 it still stands up.

Most mainstream bands in the late 90s were too busy mimicking sucessful bands of the early 90s, thats why barely anything stands out from that era. Basically the approach was to borrow eddies/cobains/stone temple pilots voice and sound but to replace thoughtful lyrics with lovey dovy i miss you baby top 40 dribble. And so it goes....

Most mainstream bands in the late 90s were too busy mimicking sucessful bands of the early 90s, thats why barely anything stands out from that era. Basically the approach was to borrow eddies/cobains/stone temple pilots voice and sound but to replace thoughtful lyrics with lovey dovy i miss you baby top 40 dribble. And so it goes....

I agree, thats what I want to get away from. So what are the bands that didn't do that? 30 yrs later when someone looks back and says "That was a great album from the 90's" What is that album?
What musicians really took the step forward to make something amazing?

Post grunge. Thats the point. All the albums from that time were awesome. Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc.
There seems to be this black hole of music from the mid 90's on that a lot of people don't consider great music aside from random conversations like "Oh yeah, I remember that Garbage album; used to listen to it a lot when I was a teenager". I started this thread when I saw someone comment on a Fear Factory album on youtube saying it was a great album when they were a teenager and now that they are 30 it still stands up.
You're right...

The Lagwagon, NOFX and Verve albums still stand nonetheless.

I'd also want to add a few albums I listened to a lot in the 90's/early 00's:
Korn - Follow The Leader
Deftones - Around the Fur
Deftones - White Pony
Me First And The Gimme Gimmes (anything)

Going to see the Gimmes later this month in Amsterdam. Pretty stoked.

I agree, thats what I want to get away from. So what are the bands that didn't do that? 30 yrs later when someone looks back and says "That was a great album from the 90's" What is that album?
What musicians really took the step forward to make something amazing?

Goo Goo Dolls, Dizzy Up The Girl 1998 I think. Iris, black balloon, slide etc. They are my all time favorite band so I could be bias but they weren't like Nirvana, Pearl Jam or any of the others and are still going strong today.

Fugees - The Score
Cold War Kids - Robbers and Cowards
Incubus - Morning View
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
John Butler Trio - Sunrise Over Sea
Marcy Playground - Marcy Playground
Mos Def - The New Danger
Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Goo Goo Dolls, Dizzy Up The Girl 1998 I think. Iris, black balloon, slide etc. They are my all time favorite band so I could be bias but they weren't like Nirvana, Pearl Jam or any of the others and are still going strong today.

Goo goo dolls actually preceded pearl jam and nirvana by a few years. Dizzy up the girl was their 6th album.

LCD Soundsystem - ST
The Geraldine Fibbers - Butch
Lost Somewhere Between The Earth and my Home is a better record but came out in 95

Aesop

Daylight.

[video=youtube;igUsHrFqegE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igUsHrFqegE[/video]

Blood sugar.... I'm just guessing but. Maybe you lost about 4 years to drugs ? Or maybe it's magic, you know....

Stomach fulla halo kibbles. Nice guess I have to check them out.

It's crazy how a punk group influenced the rap world so much. Egg raid on mojo

Amity affliction - Youngbloods. Personal classic

22-20s - Got it if you want it (amazing underrated band)

Bob Dylan - Time out of Mind.
RL Burnside - Wish I was in Heaven Sitting Down.

I agree with the RHCP one of the best bands of all time in my opinion

Back