New Cleaver on the way

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that looks nice. What do you think after a day of using it?

I like it a lot, cuts very easy because of the geometry, I am yet to put it to the stones.

Just sharpened it, took very fine edge, and very easy to sharpen.
Because it is so thin behind the edge the bevels are very narrow I like that.

For the whooping price of $225 it is IMHO great value for a custom spec cleaver.

Just sharpened it, took very fine edge, and very easy to sharpen.
Because it is so thin behind the edge the bevels are very narrow I like that.

For the whooping price of $225 it is IMHO great value for a custom spec cleaver.

+ 1 to that.

I am also deeply impressed with the way the steel performs on mine.

IMO, Ashi Hamono deserves a lot more love. A year or so ago, they were hardly spoken about until Keiichi, DrNaka and I noticed their similarity with the Sakai Yusuke family of knives.

What really surprised me there is no overcharge for customization. They said they did not think it will work that thin, they expected the blade to not be straight so I guess it is actually a bit tricky to get it right. Anyway highly recommend to those that are interested in cleavers.

From what I understand, even the regular chukas are made to order - mine was (within a week!!).

Did you ask for anything different from their standard design other than thinner?

Looking nice! Would you be able to measure heel, tip and middle height (at the highest) of the blade, just to get an idea for the belly! Thanks... here's another options in the cleaver hunt!

Looking nice! Would you be able to measure heel, tip and middle height (at the highest) of the blade, just to get an idea for the belly! Thanks... here's another options in the cleaver hunt!
heel is 110mm, middle is 109mm, tip is 105 mm. Not much belly at all, at least by my standards.

How do you feel about it after using it for a few days? Any changes to your initial opinion?

Back