New forgecraft?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaspernowhere

Reaction score
There is a new company using the name forgecraft. Presumably to benefit from the name of the vintage maker. Wide bevels, white #2, wa handle. Very different, but I was wondering if anyone has seen one. Seems interesting.

They resurrected the dead trademark but the knives they are selling are standard reasonably high quality j-knives - not american made nor do they look like the tradition forgies.

Well, they are Canadian now, eh! Go Canada :p

I know few ppl from KKFora bought them. I wonder if somebody has a review.... Peaked my interest.

I have #16 (of 20), and will writie a review when I have enough experience with it.

It has a very strong resemblance to a Kagekiyo, but has a very different profile.

IMG_6399.jpg

Is the profile shaped after the original? Or something else? Also looks quite flat? Or is it a really gentle curve?

Is the profile shaped after the original? Or something else? Also looks quite flat? Or is it a really gentle curve?

The website (http://www.forgecraft.co/) has a photo that shows the new and old knives, and the profile looks very similar. I let my 10" vintage go to someone who really wanted one, so I don't have one for direct comparison. There is a gentle curve to the profile and a decent sized flat spot on the back third of the knife.

From what I remember of the original discussion the maker of the Kagekiyo also makes this knife. That's why they look so similar.

Found it! Now I am not claiming this to be true, only that it was mentioned in a previous thread by who I think commissioned the build of the new Forgecrafts. It is in the "Forgecraft Prices are officially crazy" thread (or something to that effect).

Originally Posted by Corrado View Post

When I first saw the knife I immediately thought Gesshin Kagekiyo. Looks to have the same grind, uses the same sanmai steels and the handle is a dead ringer for the lacquered version sold by Jon

Good eye. They are made by the same smith, with a custom profile that matched the best 1950s Forgecraft we could find.

If the above is true, I want it even more! :)

Found it! Now I am not claiming this to be true, only that it was mentioned in a previous thread by who I think commissioned the build of the new Forgecrafts. It is in the "Forgecraft Prices are officially crazy" thread (or something to that effect).

there are multiple blacksmiths that we are using for the gesshin kagekiyo lines FWIW

Fair enough. Just citing my source for the information I referenced. Thanks for setting the record straight.

Either way they appear to be quality knives.

I don't think so, the hollow on the left side is between the edge & the shinogi, my guess just a result of grinding on a wheel, from the shinogi up its pretty much flat ground.
My understanding of S grind would be convex edge to shinogi, hollow shinogi to spine.

Back