New knife problem :(

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very nice patina can be forced on this knife just by doing what you started. Get several more of these onions, cut them one at a time into thin slices. wash, wipe and dry the knife between each onion but don't scrub off the color/patina that is forming. after three or four onions the coloring and rust will stop and the finish will stabilize.

Bill's advice is what I did with one of my knives and it worked.
I found red onions to discolor the first couple times but no more after a patina got going.
I cut a pork roast right out of the oven and got a blue-ish patina all over the blade. After that no more onion staining.

I stopped using carbon steel knives because I cut loads of onions in my job. The patina might help but if it's the cladding that is reactive it will be tough

My ITK 240 is hoot to use. I've had it for two years. It is sharp, cuts what I need it to and the patina is soft and doesn't discolor food. I've done a lot of experimenting with said knife. It is now thinner, smoothed spine and choil. It will probably be the first wa-handle i attempt. As long as I think someone can handle a carbon knife I will keep recommending it to them.

Back