New Offering - Custom Sayas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more that I just completed. This one matches a gorgeous Davis Line Knife.

094067C0-E484-4F93-B158-D2649A0E782E-1738-0000019BE54E4F2A.jpg

A little "family photo", with a couple missing.

8E25F07B-C0D0-4CCD-B2AD-69836932A293-1738-0000019BF93FA06A.jpg

Looking good, bro!

I'm really enjoying making these. The payoff for the time put in is great!

I really like the shape at the mouth of your sayas...they have great contour...mine are pretty boring.

Hope these take off for you!

Thanks, guys. I try to match the feel of the knife, as best I can. The chamfers and contours are just an attempt to match what the maker was doing when he made them. I'm really glad you like the work!

Thanks, Huw! This one is a bit rustic, in the sanding/finishing. It was one for myself, so I used scraps and didn't put as much elbow grease into it. All in all, it was a fun little project. :D

I must have missed your message altogether. Sorry! Let me know what's up, my man!

These all look great Tom, and I'm definitely sending some work your way soonish. I hope i'm not going off topic here- but I have a few largish scimitars and bull noses in my bag that I'd like to get some proper sayas/sheaths for. Any thoughts...?

Thanks for the comments! I can likely figure something out. :) The issue with a bullnose and scimitar isn't the curve, or large tip (the "physics" work the same - point the tip in the direction you want it to go, and pull out with an opposite swoop), but with there normally being no spot for a pin for down the road, or a slightly less than perfect friction fit. I might make a test saya for an old bullnose and scimitar now, just to see how it goes. Send me pics and I'll be able to give you a better idea.

This one's going to Johnnychance. I hope you like it, John!

E0D5BC4D-337F-4BA9-BA87-7EBA35CA79A0-9436-00000E7F757F5CBE.jpg

I'm working on them, Magnus! Haha.

Here's my newest, for a Watanabe Gyuto.

63F8E796-D64D-48C7-AD43-C7B044E7CD2B-14057-000014E698C5D4CB.jpg

Between bathroom renos and parers (gonna get those finished up soon), I've worked in a couple other pieces. Here's one that should be finished up tomorrow, if everything goes according to plan.

4F6E61DC-1A66-4C34-8A0A-241E755C2245-3490-000005EB9691496E_zpsa03918ac.jpg

It's the redux on the Marr gyuto. I tweaked my "choil" shape after admiring Fish's saya and one from TC. Let me know what you think. It's going to get much darker, and the grain will pop, by the way. :)

How deep is the line atm? Will have that Watanabe incoming and if the show box is too big to carry around, will need one made.

That looks sweet even as is Tom. I wish I had the talent to make something out of nothing like that. I do however have an extraordinary talent for doing the exact opposite ;)

I think I'm about two months, to three months right now. You guys are keeping me busy, and I LOVE IT! Actually, I have a new system in place (I think Marko and I had similar realizations) and I can likely get my list knocked off in a month and a half, if I concentrate.

I plan to always be making other items as I go, that will be allotted time in the list. This keeps me thinking creatively and allows me to play (though I do love making these!).

Zebrawood stinks. Literally. But it looks great :) Nice work, buddy!

Stefan

Thanks, guys.

Believe it or not, this nex pic is two stages later. I still have to finish it up with some fancy shaping/sanding, oiling, etc, but it's now reinforced, among other things. The choil shape is dialed in.

61F3934A-F57A-46F5-8016-6EDD44017DA5-4510-0000072266FDB021_zpscfc61d06.jpg

Thanks. It's a little messy, but does the trick, for now. It is a big piece of silver maple that literally sits on top of my real bench. I like this better. :)

Back