New Project - Makers, Hobbyists, Tweakers, Knife Nuts with Garages - You NEED to Read This!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got a word that a 9" disk grinder will have a hub and removable disks and unlike other versions on the market, disks will not be held on the magnets, so, changing disks from flat to 1 degree bevel (depending on the task) or disks with different grit sandpaper will be a breeze.

This disk system is a standard on a 9" universal disk grinder (grinder goes from vertical to horizontal) or could be purchased by itself.

Stay tuned. Pics are coming soon.

Trying to envision this Marko. Its a separate set up. Or is it add on to the 2 X 72? Ill wait for pictures.

Trying to envision this Marko. Its a separate set up. Or is it add on to the 2 X 72? Ill wait for pictures.

It's a separate grinder, built on a base similar to 2x72 universal grinder, but height will be different, as 1Hp motor is a bit shorter. This 9" disk grinder will go from vertical to horizontal position, and will come with two work tables, one for each position. There will be a miter slot in one of the tables, and a miter attachment.

It will have a 9" disk hub, that will attach to the 5/8 motor shaft, and in the package included are a flat and a 1 degree beveled disks, that will attach to the hub, not by the magnets, mind you! To change the disks will be easy and take just seconds.

In my shop disk grinders are very useful and constantly used machines. I can't imagine making handles, for example, without a horizontal disk grinder.

I haven't been on here for a few weeks and then I see this. You are killing me... Wish I were in a position to commit to anything, but I am not. If things change, this is high on my list.

Stefan

I haven't been on here for a few weeks and then I see this. You are killing me... Wish I were in a position to commit to anything, but I am not. If things change, this is high on my list.

Stefan

I am thinking of a 1HP grinder that would be a perfect setup for making handles (among other things such as thinning, light grinding, etc) and is small enough (and quiet) to use in an apartment or on a balcony. Portable. Just saying....))))

Also thinking about an optional dust extraction port, with a vacuum cleaner hookup.

To make handles, one would need the grinder and a drill press , or one can purchase pre-drilled handle blanks and other components, and just assemble, shape and finish a handle. This will also be an option. I have have a tone of premium to basic woods to choose from.

I mentioned in one of my previous posts, that in a one-man shop, having several grinders is a must for doing work efficiently. Ideally, it would be one machine for each step in a grinding process, so one moves from a machine to a machine, without stopping and changing attachments.

In my shop, one of such "must have" grinders is a grinder with a large contact wheel, similar to the one in the picture below. This grinder will accept a contact wheel up to 20".

Workhorse.jpg

It sounds like you've got huge plans in the works, Marko. I can't wait to watch this progress.

That wheel grinder is a beast! Is that 4x? Why such large drive and idler?

It sounds like you've got huge plans in the works, Marko. I can't wait to watch this progress.

That wheel grinder is a beast! Is that 4x? Why such large drive and idler?

Well, it's a fun project and my part in it is pretty modest, in terms of involvement.

The larger the idler, the easier it is on belts, so yes, one wants to have as large idler as possible. I think the idler in on my TW-90 is 5.5". As the size of the contact wheel gets larger, the idler has to be smaller. For 20" contact wheel, the idler will be the smallest.

I really want a 2x72 grinder but because I'm already running a 2x48 you've got my attention on this size model the most. What I need from my next grinder is a small wheel attachment. A secondary wish is large contact wheels but with the smaller 48" belt this isn't going to happen.

On the 2x48, can the platen be tilted back like the 2x72? Also, can it accept a small wheel attachment like KMG sells?

The disc grinder sounds VERY interesting to me also.

These looks like nice machines Marko.

I really want a 2x72 grinder but because I'm already running a 2x48 you've got my attention on this size model the most. What I need from my next grinder is a small wheel attachment. A secondary wish is large contact wheels but with the smaller 48" belt this isn't going to happen.

On the 2x48, can the platen be tilted back like the 2x72? Also, can it accept a small wheel attachment like KMG sells?

Dave,

all these machines are customizable. 2x42 is the smallest and would only make sense if only a platen and perhaps a small wheel is used, like for folks who plan on making handles and do a light grinding - thinning. It can be either upright or universal (vertical/horizontal).

2x48 is the next size and this one is going to come with a larger motor 1.5Hp on 115V (if desired), a contact wheel, platen and a small wheel attachment.

The next size is 2x72.

These machines will be made to be compatible with KMG wheels, or I can source custom wheels (for instance, the smaller rubberized Bader wheel is 1/2", and I sometimes would like to go down to 1/4).

This is very exciting project for me, as there are not many things I am excited about - I can count all on one hand. I think, having so many DIY folks on the forum, if I could make your life a little easier (think Kato thinning) or more exciting - think making your own handles and sayas, it would make me happy.

I do think these are quality grinders, otherwise I would not get involved. They would come with warranty and support, as a quality product should.

The prototypes are coming soon. Stay tuned.

Dave,
2x48 grinder will accept 10" wheel (most 2x72 grinders come with 8 or 10" wheels). There will be a choice of the small wheel arm attachment to accept Bader, KMG wheels, or wheels that are originally made for this grinder. The grinder in the picture, 2x48 prototype.

0_11b522_1458250c_orig.jpg

Small Wheel.jpg

Stock wheels (solid metal) will be heat treated, and will last pretty much forever.

wheels2.jpg

wheels1.jpg

I also would recommend a platen from a wear resistant steel, heat treated for a good hardness. You would be amazed, how quickly (not heat treated) platen can wear out.

I am also talking to 3M and Norton about a possibility to offer some of their popular belts for these grinders, so it could be one-stop shop for grinders, belts, heat-treated blanks, and prepped handle wood blocks and components. Once I get some clarity from mentioned above companies, I will make an announcement.

Very interested. I just saw this....

Very interested. I just saw this....

Now that you are here, ))) I will aslo offer saya blanks, cut and flat sanded, so all is left is to carve and glue.

I make my sayas on a 2x72 grinder and I think universal setup (horizontal and vertical) will give you all tools you need to shape a saya. You will need a pair of saya nomi (chisels), a drill press or a hand drill, and you are in business

M

I am also talking to 3M and Norton about a possibility to offer some of their popular belts for these grinders, so it could be one-stop shop for grinders, belts, heat-treated blanks, and prepped handle wood blocks and components. Once I get some clarity from mentioned above companies, I will make an announcement.

OK...now you're really talking

OK...now you're really talking

Well, the idea is to send out grinders with kits of belts at introductory price, from both 3M and Norton, and the folks will decide for themselves, which are more to their preferences.

Norton is receptive to the idea, so for the beginner guys it's a good deal, as in the beginning, you should go though belts as they are free )))

Still talking to 3M, but they seem to also like the idea.

I use an ass load of Norton Blaze belts (36, 60, 80, 120x) and man 'o man are they expensive.

I use an ass load of Norton Blaze belts (36, 60, 80, 120x) and man 'o man are they expensive.

I am a 3M 984 man))) but I have used Norton polishing belts and they are top notch.

I will be happy to supply you guys with Norton Blaze ))))

Networking is the word )))

Marko: any plans for a surface grinding attachment? That is one feature I would like. Thx. Eric

Last edited:
Marko: any plans for a surface grinding attachment? That is one feature I would like. Thx. Eric

Not at this time, but definitely down the road. I have TW attachment, and I think the grinders could be made to accept it, but at some point it would make sense to come up with one that is not a copy of TW and that addresses some of TW limitations.

It is a pretty cool feature, for sure.

M

It looks like I will be getting three prototypes grinders:

1 x 1Hp 9" Universal Disc Grinder, with removable hub disks (1 degree radius, and flat)
1 x 3HP (230V) 2x72 Universal Belt Grinder w/wheel (customer is going to buy 20" wheel for this grinder), small wheel attachment, platen
1 x 2HP (115/230v)
or
1x1HP (115v) 2x48 Universal Belt Grinder w/8" wheel, small wheel attachment, platen

First two are already bespoken and they will go to the new owner once I make some video with the grinders to demonstrate functionality.

Pics of the 9" disk grinder should be in about two-three weeks. Pics of the other grinders will follow.

Ah! That's looking great, Marko! Awesomely solid but adaptable.

As someone dependent on 115v, and having just dug the internet looking for an affordable 1.5-2hp 115v VFD, can I ask how that 2hp 2x72 will be set up for 115v?

I think I'm going to be one of your first customers with these.

Wait, is there one of them available?

Back