New Project - Makers, Hobbyists, Tweakers, Knife Nuts with Garages - You NEED to Read This!!!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Want to add that I am really excited about the the whole idea of modular design of a grinder, i.e. removable modules can cover all grinding needs (surface grind, integral bolster grind, polish, thin, sharpen, etc) for those things that are used infrequently, and don't require a dedicated grinder.

One of these modules, an integral bolster grinder module can be turned into a polishing and sharpening module with a change of a contact wheel and addition of the work table. One for tree tasks!

And that's what you guys are going to see - well built, well thought grinders that will work really well for pros and new folks alike, especially for those of you who are new to grinding, and intimidated by it. In the beginning the lack of skills can be compensated with equipment, and over time one can move away from it to a free- hand grinding.

Marko

You have a rough idea of when the 2x48's would be available?

I would like to highlight a few of design features that I find very useful personally, and that makes this grinder all around capable of all grinding tasks.

This grinder will have a tilting platen that can go as low as 20-30 degrees, and will allow to grind knives akin Japanese do on a grinding wheel. I find this grinding technique particularly useful when grinding a single beveled blades, or grinding a bevel on a forged knife with a kurouchi finish. The belt direction is reversed, so the belt is running away from you. There is no obstruction on either side of the platen. I haven't seen many grinders that could do that.

Grinder24.jpg

Another design feature which I also haven't seen on many grinders is adjustability for a thickness or shape of a platen. to reduce friction and platen wear, it has to be on the same line as the rollers. This design allows for 3/4" adjustment.

Another thing, the design utilizes quick releases (all metal, though in pictures might look like with plastic handles), so changing attachments, tables, modules, platen position, will be a breeze.

Grinder25.jpg

And lastly, rather than building additional modules, we are going to utilize the existing design to get additional function. For instance a small wheel attachment will be turned into an integral bolster grinding module with addition of a support platen that can be adjusted for any contact wheel (integral's radius). This one is in works, but you could visualize the idea.

Grinder26.jpg

So, I will dare to say that in term of build quality, functionality and precision (belt tracking) this is going to be one of the best grinders that are on the market.

)))

The Making of a Grinder A slideshow. A true hand-build machine. The slides are slightly out of order. Will fix them later, but you guys still should get an idea about the scope of work involved in building this machine.

http://s610.photobucket.com/user/ats295/slideshow/Birth of a 2x72 Universal Grinder?sort=2

Updates:

The grinder will come with hardened D2 platens and 2" table rest. Small wheel attachments will also be hardened, and pretty much can be used for many years to come.

Reclining platen to about 20 degrees and reversible option will be present on every grinder, should one want to grind akin to how Japanese grind - belt running away from the person. This setup can utilize mist cooling more efficiently.

We are talking about making a 4x72" grinder that resembles in function a Japanese grinding wheel for single beveled knives.

These grinders will be priced "Build your Own", so once can add accessories and attachments to bare-bone setup.

I would say that the grinder project is the fist of the many projects that I would like to do or at least to explore. Other possible ideas are:

- inert gas convection oven for heat treating stainless steel,
- molted salt ovens for heat treating carbon steel,
- liquid nitrogen generator for a small shop,
- vacuum and compression setup (plug and play) for wood stabilizing, that matches in quality professional stabilizing and takes considerably less time than amateur vacuum setups that are available,
- other things.

It goes without saying that these will be built with accuracy, quality, longevity, ease of operation in mind. For pro use.

I think there will be quite a bit of excitement in the next couple of years, as I plan to outfit my shop with all this equipment.

Marko, I have to say that this kind of direction seems uniquely (and ideally) suited to your level of attention to detail.

I'm definitely looking forward to following along on the ride :).

In my correspondence with a potential customer, the following question was raised. "What if sometimes down the road the maker stops making these grinders, where would one source the parts?"

Well, first of all, I am pretty sure me and the maker are in it for a long haul and we plan on offering these machines in other countries as well. We get a good synergy from working together and personality-wise we get along pretty well. Second, parts that will need to be replaced over time (we are talking years!) will be the bearings in the motor and in the idler wheels. That applies to all grinders, not just these. Replacing bearings will be a DIY job, or one can send the idler wheel for a swap. There will be a video tutorial on how to do the service. See the slideshow below. Other than that, the machine is expected to last many years.
http://s610.photobucket.com/user/ats295/slideshow/Bearing Assemblhy?sort=3

All machines will come with 2 year warranty on the workmanship, and motor and VFD will carry manufacturers' warranty (Leeson & KB Electronics respectively) I will stock motor and idler wheels bearings on hand, and will list parts numbers so they can be purchased from other sources as well. But as I said, it will be years before one would need to replace them.

I think a great thing about this grinder it's the simplicity of the design and reliability. These machines are built to last a life-time with a basic maintenance.

All of the machining and heat treating is to be done by a company that builds Antonov aircraft.
http://www.antonov.com/about

I would say that the grinder project is the fist of the many projects that I would like to do or at least to explore. Other possible ideas are:

1 - inert gas convection oven for heat treating stainless steel,
2 - molted salt ovens for heat treating carbon steel,
3 - liquid nitrogen generator for a small shop,
4 - vacuum setup for wood stabilizing
5 - compression setup for wood stabilizing

It goes without saying that these will be built with accuracy, quality, longevity, ease of operation in mind. For pro use.
I think there will be quite a bit of excitement in the next couple of years, as I plan to outfit my shop with all this equipment.

Talked to a physicist this morning about the ideas above and some of the ideas got nixed because of complexity, cost and safety reasons - #3 and #5. Others are possible. I am going to send in exact requirements (temperature, heating rate, heating chamber size) and drawings and we will start talking about prototypes and costs.

Bummer that LN generation on a work site is yet out of reach. ((

The last time I inquired about a small LN generator for a shop, the cost was over 15K. Prices might have gone down a little bit, but still would take many years before the equipment pays for itself.
http://www.elan2.com/products.asp

It was good talking to you last night Marko. I'm even more excited about this new grinder than I was before. :)

We are making the final design decisions, and we don't have all prices yet for parts that will be machined by an outside company, so need another 2-3 more days for setting the prices.

We think about making the grinder from a stainless steel (10mm thick), with an attractive sandblast finish, rather than from 10mm carbon steel painted over, for aesthetic look but also for practicality of it - the machine will be impervious to rust. .

We still need to get pricing for radius (36, 48, 72 inches) and flat platens in D2 steel. The grinder with come with a flat D2 platen and the radius will be available as add-ons. Additional platen assembly will be available, should one want to buy an extra one for a radius platen. We also looking into improving a couple of more minor things, but they will make a quality grinder - reliable and easy to use.

I mentioned in my earlier post that the machines will come with 2 year warranty on the machine and the manufacturer's warranty on VFD and motor, for KBAC - 18months from the day of dealer purchase and for Leeson, I need to find out.

The service would entail swapping units (like idler pulley), should there be any issues with bearings, though we estimate the life of a bearing be years.

The 2x48 demo grinder is boxed up and ready to go (to me). It will go out on Monday next week and I should receive it a week later.

There is one universal 2x48" and three universal 2x72 grinders on the schedule, as well as a 14" surface grinding attachment for 2x72 universal grinder. I hope these all arrive before May.

These grinder will have all functions I always wanted in a grinder, so you guys have no idea how excited I am!! One of these grinders is for me)))))

I think Leeson warranty for AC motors is 18 months from the day of purchase and 12 moths from the day of use.

It is too early for me, but I am going to keep eye on how this develops, who knows, maybe one day I will have a use for one :)

Leesons are great motors. I've been running one hard for years, even with excess shaft pressure for belt tension, and not an issue.

- Want it! :D

That one is for you, Dave. ))) I asked for it to be done in time for the second 2x72 universal grinder shipment, so late April, early March.

This one will have a built-in function to do a surface grind, a distal taper grind and a bevel grind (up to 15 degrees). To be used with 2x72 Universal grinder. Different design than TWSG-1, specifically designed for kitchen knives. Will be overbuilt.. ))))

Also, besides surface grinding attachment module, there will be an integral bolster module. There will be two options for grinding an integral bolster. Less expensive option - is to get an additional platen assembly which utilizes .5-.75" contact wheel in the front, recline the platen and grind the distal taper. The more expensive option, is to buy a distal taper module, which runs off the drive wheel directly and has an independent tracking. This plate will be horizontal (not on an incline), so it might offer more control for some folks.

By that time we also planning to offer 15" contact wheel.

M

That one is for you, Dave. ))) I asked for it to be done in time for the second 2x72 universal grinder shipment, so late April, early March.

:dance: Oh yeah, had to break out the dancin' man smilie for this! :D

This one will have a built-in function to do a surface grind, a distal taper grind and a bevel grind (up to 15 degrees). To be used with 2x72 Universal grinder. Different design than TWSG-1, specifically designed for kitchen knives. Will be overbuilt.. ))))

This could likely be a true game changer for me. I'm super excited about this attachment.

Also, besides surface grinding attachment module, there will be an integral bolster module. There will be two options for grinding an integral bolster. Less expensive option - is to get an additional platen assembly which utilizes .5-.75" contact wheel in the front, recline the platen and grind the distal taper. The more expensive option, is to buy a distal taper module, which runs off the drive wheel directly and has an independent tracking. This plate will be horizontal (not on an incline), so it might offer more control for some folks.

By that time we also planning to offer 15" contact wheel.

M

This sounds friggin' awesome too! :doublethumbsup:

Excited, heh? Imagine the following.. The maker is going to make me an universal 2x72, the frame, and then I get to ask for all tables, attachments, modules, accessories, exactly how I want them))) and the icing on the cake - 3HP motor with KBAC-29))) I think I will be dancing around this grinder for some time. Look forward to finally doing an integral. I was looking for this setup for over 4 years now. )))

We think about making the grinder from a stainless steel (10mm thick), with an attractive sandblast finish, rather than from 10mm carbon steel painted over, for aesthetic look but also for practicality of it - the machine will be impervious to rust. .

I like this idea.

My only concern (not a big one) is that the sandblasted surface will show dirt more than painted dark surface, in the big scheme of events, it's not a big deal. Function of the grinder tops the aesthetic.

Got some updates today. Radius platens 36-72" will be available. We are thinking about making two size surface grinding attachments, 14 and 10", the smaller - for 2x48" universal grinder. Also, belt overhang will be possible on both sides of the platen on all grinders (on the left side up to 30mm), an useful feature for folks like me who shape the Western handle on a J-Flex belt and are not omnidextrous. Reversible belt movement, reclining platen, 2" work table rest, mounted so it's out of the hands' way. Hardened platens. Each grinder will have a serial number, certificate workmanship and 2 year warranty. Spare set of ball bearings (6) can be purchased with the grinder, or one can note the part number and buy them when needed. As I said, it it will be years. We use top of the line parts, but should they need to be replaced, there will be well documented process or the unit (wheel) can be swapped for another. I will stock on the spare parts to minimize the down time. Overnight swap will be on option.

Talked about future projects. A straight razor grinder that utilizes two 1HP Leeson motors, one VFD, two contact wheels, a machine that I wanted to own for a long time, and it looks like the time is ripe for making plans))) Salt pod ovens for a small shop (for kitchen knives) are in discussion, as inert gas heat treating ovens. The latter is a more complicated project, so at this point I am just to write up requirements (size, temp, process). I will keep you posted on this one. I too wanted this oven for a long time.

Damn that all sounds great.

I know it's not nice, but I can't help it)) It might sound strange, but tools evoke emotions for me, not knives. Knives I like to make, I like the process and the outcome, but tools are my toys, they make me happy, and having an opportunity to make tools to my liking, tops my excitement.

This is a big boy Leeson 3HP that I got for my grinder. Took it out of the box to admire)))

IMG_0044.JPG

You know that you've got yourself a big motor when it comes with a chain hoist pick up bolted on. :D

Back