New sharpening station inputs and pics requested

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My sharpening set up is a total mess right now but I was in the basement rooting around so here's a pic. I use an adjustable stool so I can sit or stand depending on the mood and what I am working on. I usually have a rubber-made tub for perma-soaking my synthetic stones but it is missing right now. Also I have found those pans that are kinda third pans that are just a bit shorter fit well in a fish box and I usually use that but it is missing right now too. Second pic is out in the garage.

Since Chuckles showed his, I'll show mine. Just out of view is my Sterlite with the stones soaking. The white thing is the sterlite lid, center island with a plastic wrap base coat and the island chairs make my elbows parallel to the stone(s). My $25 cleaver is in view and because I'm behind the camera you can't see I'm not chuckling... More badgerish in my pursuit but it's a start and influenced by all of your pics and comments. Thanks for helping with ver 0.2.

Attachments

• Sharp sta take 2 090315 001.jpg
    Sharp sta take 2 090315 001.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 165
I think the _PixelNinja's avatar is seeing family members. On my monitor just the top of the avatar showed when I was looking at the wood sculpture posing as sharpening station and I thought the avatar was a schematic or something. Try it.:bigeek:

Thanks, Jer! Very nice vids!

By the way, I love those sharpening stations that look almost like indoor ponds (like in Jer's Shigefusa vid and others). And brooksie's pic is just spectacular!

Well, it's been a fun weekend for me. I started the Kitchen Knife saga with Dave M at the old forum, migrated here, bought the Beston/Bester/Suehiro Rika/Felt package and a Tojiro DP Gyuto 240 mm and stalled. Facing the daunting surplus of information and how "hard" J-knives were [pun intended] I muddled along and then after Mr. T got unserviceably dull I paid a Michigan pro to revive him.

Well, I started the "what does your station look like" post to get past the gear excuse. And it worked.

Over the past 7 days I have tried to sharpen a cheap cleaver, a Wusthof 150mm utility and a Forschner paring knife and failed 6 days in a row. Following confirmation that my stones were good [both sets], setup was similar to people that can sharpen [check], I embarked.

Day 1 - spent the 45 minutes trying to created an edge on the 5K suehiro thinking it was a 500 Beston. No love until I figured it out. Put the gear away . Day 2. Call Jason B [referred by CKTG] and he spent 1.5 hours on the phone confirming the mechanics of the goal; make the two sides meet in an apex. The rest will work itself out but you can cut food again. Day 3. Find Mark Richmond's early videos where he uses the identical stone kit as I have on a Victorinox Chef's knife. I instantlyrealize I haven't spent even close to enough time establishing an edge. Now the rookie aspect of that is in ALL the videos I have watched but somehow that wasn't about me... Yesterday, establishing the angle is harder than I thought but using the reflection of the overhead light I can see where I wobbled. Today, I slow down, concentrate on the consistency of the angle and POOF - I can cut paper.

A long way to go but thank you to all those that encouraged and cajoled including Dave M (via dvd),daveb, Cheflarge, Chuckles, Jason B, Jon, and Mark R.

I don't need to invest anything more than some time and less coffee to get my skills up to where I no longer have an excuse for why my food isn't what I envisioned.

Best of all this is fun now.

by the way, it helps to get the slurry started with a mini dmt slurry plate as you will remove metal quicker and get results versus going for 10minutes and nothing seems to be happening.

by the way, it helps to get the slurry started with a mini dmt slurry plate as you will remove metal quicker and get results versus going for 10minutes and nothing seems to be happening.

I had used the DMT XXC plate to "wake up" the new stones. Does the mini have special properties or just more convenient. Slurry level and why is my next study because Mark R. has dripping water on his 500Beston & 1000 Bester thus making the sink a good place. Drats, back to the sink again.

Back