New steel, new knife passaround - YXR-7 210mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would do it but honestly guys I just don't cut as much **** as I used to.

I imagine you've got a pretty full list already, but I'd like to give it a spin as well. I can give it a solid 10 straight prep hours professionally, and really put the "extremely tough and wear resistant" steel to the test. :)

I'll take it very last sam, hopefully will need thinning by then :knife:

I think it's worth saying that members of this forum have really been dropping the ball with pass arounds. Knives being stolen, lost in mail, poorly packaged resulting in broken tips, people going MIA, and folks not even really posting feedback and thoughts. Not to mention the normal over sharpening and thickening.

We like to turn our noses up at the "other" knife forum, but their regularity and quality of pass arounds is waaaayy better than here. The Syousin USA pass around thread from James is embarrassing to read. I hope people are a little more respectful and responsible with this and others going forward.

Heard. I'd rather get this knife out there for the good eggs and not hold it back because of some potentially bad seeds. Let's give it a shot.

This list got long! Thanks for all the kind words and interest. I'm closing the list and have posted it below. The order is based on location, connecting everyone to their nearest neighbor. Please post (or PM me) any thoughts or feedback you have on the knife. If there are any issues, concerns, damage, etc. along the way, please get in touch. Have fun!

brainsausage Portland, Maine
Mrmnms Long Island
alterwisser New Jersey
CoqaVin NJ
marc4pt0 Maryland
420layersofdank Columbia, MD
Bill13 VA
chinacats NC
Pensacola Tiger USA
daveb Tampa, FL
Dardeau New Orleans, LA
SolidSnake03 Nebraska
bkultra Chicago
El Pescador SoCal
Smurfmacaw San Diego
cclin SoCal
mikedtran San Francisco, CA
pleue Portland, OR
Godslayer Canada
toddnmd APO
ecchef FPO
SousVideLoca ?
cheflivengood ?

Matus Germany
mark76 Netherlands

Europe can certainly happen after the U.S. round. Theory, let me know if you want to be added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit: snark removed. Sorry.
Extra ninja edit: I said I'd give the knife a 40% chance of surviving the passaround. :ninja:

FWIW, I've received packages from 5 or more of the guys on the list. all well packed and cared for.

FWIW, I've received packages from 5 or more of the guys on the list. all well packed and cared for.

I almost wish I was later in the rotation, the last pass around I received from you was definitely well packed indeed😉

Did we ever determine what it's clad with?

Did they find a way to make that steel less corrosive? I remember years ago the tactical knive makers toyed with this steel but it was highly reactive and it just kinda went away.

Been over a month in the wild. Does anyone have thoughts or feedback on this knife/steel??

Curious what the status of this PA is? I am fairly high on the list, so not sure if it should be coming to my shores some time soon, just checking. Not curious or anything LOL

Yeah, why no feedback yet? Last time I put out a pass around knife it came back in terrible shape. I'm currently doing another pass around but kept it private by contacting people who I thought would be most interested, also kept the list small probably adding home cooks once the pros are done using it.

Has anyone heard from Sam recently? He has been quite quiet.

Hope all is well.

So the passaround still on or did something happen on the way? I am in no hurry, just curios.

I'm not even involved in this pass around but I had considered (for a second) following Labor of Love's generous pass around recently of his Gengetsu Wh #2 with the SS version but this sort of thing stops me right in my tracks! Really wondering what happened to the knife? Here is the original list ... Just like any thread about knives/rolls stolen - This sh$t really gets under my skin and really, Sam's whereabouts be damned, theft is theft ... unless for some reason the blade went back to him and then "disappeared"?

TjA

This list got long! Thanks for all the kind words and interest. I'm closing the list and have posted it below. The order is based on location, connecting everyone to their nearest neighbor. Please post (or PM me) any thoughts or feedback you have on the knife. If there are any issues, concerns, damage, etc. along the way, please get in touch. Have fun!

brainsausage Portland, Maine
Mrmnms Long Island
alterwisser New Jersey
CoqaVin NJ
marc4pt0 Maryland
420layersofdank Columbia, MD
Bill13 VA
chinacats NC
Pensacola Tiger USA
daveb Tampa, FL
Dardeau New Orleans, LA
SolidSnake03 Nebraska
bkultra Chicago
El Pescador SoCal
Smurfmacaw San Diego
cclin SoCal
mikedtran San Francisco, CA
pleue Portland, OR
Godslayer Canada
toddnmd APO
ecchef FPO
SousVideLoca ?
cheflivengood ?

Matus Germany
mark76 Netherlands

Europe can certainly happen after the U.S. round. Theory, let me know if you want to be added.

Back